It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 1st attempt; 720 Q49V39

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: INSEAD Jan'18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
GMAT 1st attempt; 720 Q49V39 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I had my test yesterday, 23rd December, and was delighted to see a score that I had aimed for.
Total: 720 Q49V39 IR: 7
I am though a bit let down by the Quants score, as I had scored 50 on 3 of the 4 GMATPrep mocks. However, a more than satisfactory verbal score has me delighted.

I would just give a small debrief, as I think I have gained a lot from this forum, and I think I can give something back as now.

Preparation time: Around 9 weeks
My first GMATPrep mock score was 640 Q49V28. That verbal score sure disappointed me a lot. I was finding it very difficult to manage any of the three verbal sections. I used the Manhattan guide for SC, and despite doing all the chapters in it thoroughly, I would find it difficult to apply all those rules at once on an actual GMAT question. From the forum, I came to know about GMATNinja and started watching his videos on youtube. I think his approach to SC questions is really amazing wherein he stresses on trying to get the meaning and reaoning correct. His approach to comparision questions, that of /those of questions is brilliat. Those sessions had an immediate effect on my SC, and it reflected in my performance while solving the questions from the OG and during the mocks.
At the same time, I purchased the GMAT club tests as I was aiming for a 50 in quants and I knew this was the best material available. Bunuel and other mods have done a brilliant job with the Quants forum and the tests.

GMATPrep mock 2: 680 Q50V31
RC and CR continued to be my roadblocks, and I really started to panic. The Manhattan guide for CR really didnt help me much. I swithced to the CR Bible with just 4 weeks to go, and I could only hope to improve enough on time for my tests.

GMATPrep mock 3: 690 Q50V32
Again, not much improvement. and at this point of time I only had 2 weeks left. I continued my preparation on CR and RC, using only official questions, from the OG and the GMATPrep Comprehensive question sets. I knew my scores would be inflated if I used the comprehensive set. But the official questions and the explanation provided are really the best material available on Verbal in my opinion.
Just 3 days before my test, I attempted the final mock. 740 Q50V40
I knew it was an inflated score because of the repeat of some of the CR questions, but I knew there had been substantial improvement. And with this final attempt, I went into the exam.

Order was Q, V and IR/AWA
Midway of the quants section, I realized I had messed up as I saw some really sub 600 questions. However, I didnt let that afffect me, and I went into the verbal section with confidence( I had no other choice lol). Paced it decently, and around the 30th question, I got a very difficult passgae and some tough CR/SC questions. This gave me confidence as I knew I had been doing well in the verbal section. Finished it exactly on time without having to guess any question.(I did have around 13-14 questions left with just 19 mins on the clock, but I was confident).

IR and AWA were a breeze. I finished the AWA section 3 mins before time as I had been continuously thinking of my bad quants section and wasnt hoping more than 680.
Pressed the next button, and BAMM. 720. Verbal had saved my day.

Couldnt have been happier :D

Just some tips which I found very useful:
--> Use official questions only for the verbal section. Non official ones from other sources arent really of the same standard in my opinion.
--> Do not be too rigid while learning SC, especially with the rules. Do watch the videos by GMATNinja and Souvik. Extremely helpful.
--> Give your mocks judiciously, and around the same time of the day as your official scheduled test. Purchase test pack 1, so much better than the other non official mocks out there.
--> Sleep well before the night before the test and stay relaxed

Materials used just in case if anyone finds it helpful:

Quants: GMATClub math book, Bunuel comprehensive question collection(Best material out there for quants), GMATClub quants tests
Verbal: Manhattan SC, CR Bible, videos by GMATNinja, GMATPrep Comprehensive question sets on SC and CR
Question Pack 1 and Exam Pack 1
3 OG guides 2018 edition. The OG guides should be your bible. People dont rate these books much, even calling thee books just question banks. I disagree totally. What better can there be than the official books by GMAC

Thank you for being patient with this debrief :P I would like to thank everyone associated with this forum, especially bb, Bunuel, daagh, GMATNinja, and Souvik.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: GMAT 1st attempt; 720 Q49V39 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 04:11
Manishcfc8 wrote:
I had my test yesterday, 23rd December, and was delighted to see a score that I had aimed for.
I am though a bit let down by the Quants score, as I had scored 50 on 3 of the 4 GMATPrep mocks. However, a more than satisfactory verbal score has me delighted.

I would just give a small debrief, as I think I have gained a lot from this forum, and I think I can give something back as now.

My first GMATPrep mock score was 640 Q49V28. That verbal score sure disappointed me a lot. I was finding it very difficult to manage any of the three verbal sections. I used the Manhattan guide for SC, and despite doing all the chapters in it thoroughly, I would find it difficult to apply all those rules at once on an actual GMAT question. From the forum, I came to know about GMATNinja and started watching his videos on youtube. I think his approach to SC questions is really amazing wherein he stresses on trying to get the meaning and reaoning correct. His approach to comparision questions, that of /those of questions is brilliat. Those sessions had an immediate effect on my SC, and it reflected in my performance while solving the questions from the OG and during the mocks.
At the same time, I purchased the GMAT club tests as I was aiming for a 50 in quants and I knew this was the best material available. Bunuel and other mods have done a brilliant job with the Quants forum and the tests.

RC and CR continued to be my roadblocks, and I really started to panic. The Manhattan guide for CR really didnt help me much. I swithced to the CR Bible with just 4 weeks to go, and I could only hope to improve enough on time for my tests.

Again, not much improvement. and at this point of time I only had 2 weeks left. I continued my preparation on CR and RC, using only official questions, from the OG and the GMATPrep Comprehensive question sets. I knew my scores would be inflated if I used the comprehensive set. But the official questions and the explanation provided are really the best material available on Verbal in my opinion.
I knew it was an inflated score because of the repeat of some of the CR questions, but I knew there had been substantial improvement. And with this final attempt, I went into the exam.

Midway of the quants section, I realized I had messed up as I saw some really sub 600 questions. However, I didnt let that afffect me, and I went into the verbal section with confidence( I had no other choice lol). Paced it decently, and around the 30th question, I got a very difficult passgae and some tough CR/SC questions. This gave me confidence as I knew I had been doing well in the verbal section. Finished it exactly on time without having to guess any question.(I did have around 13-14 questions left with just 19 mins on the clock, but I was confident).

IR and AWA were a breeze. I finished the AWA section 3 mins before time as I had been continuously thinking of my bad quants section and wasnt hoping more than 680.

--> Use official questions only for the verbal section. Non official ones from other sources arent really of the same standard in my opinion.
--> Do not be too rigid while learning SC, especially with the rules. Do watch the videos by GMATNinja and Souvik. Extremely helpful.
--> Give your mocks judiciously, and around the same time of the day as your official scheduled test. Purchase test pack 1, so much better than the other non official mocks out there.

Quants: GMATClub math book, Bunuel comprehensive question collection(Best material out there for quants), GMATClub quants tests
Verbal: Manhattan SC, CR Bible, videos by GMATNinja, GMATPrep Comprehensive question sets on SC and CR
3 OG guides 2018 edition. The OG guides should be your bible. People dont rate these books much, even calling thee books just question banks. I disagree totally. What better can there be than the official books by GMAC

Thank you for being patient with this debrief I would like to thank everyone associated with this forum, especially bb, Bunuel, daagh, GMATNinja, and Souvik.

First of congrats.great feat
Could u plz elaborate..on how u practiced Bunuel's quant collection....like did u focus on certain topics...bcz its huge..
Just guide how to deal with quant.As i am stuck around 45-46...

Sent from my SM-A510F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: INSEAD Jan'18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 04:22
Bunuel's study materials, ie the Gmat club math book and his question Bank, these already assume a certain level of quants( I think around 46-47). So if are already at that level, then it's fair to say your basics are at a very strong level and that questions which trouble you are not difficult, but has very delicate and tricky GMAT traps. So, start referring the Gmat club math book(bunuel is one of the writers), take a topic, and understand every line from that chapter. Every GMAT trap is mentioned clearly. Once you are done with a chapter, take questions of that chapter from his question collection. Attempt to solve them on your own and then look at the solution. See if you were able to think in a similar way. If yes, you have learnt well from the book. Else, go back to that chapter and revise. You will get hold of a topic eventually.

Also, these topics are the most important, as already been mentioned on the forum many times: Number properties, statistics, inequalities and Absolute values, probablity and combinations. You fair well at these, high chances of touching 49/50.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 04:33
Manishcfc8 wrote:
Bunuel's study materials, ie the Gmat club math book and his question Bank, these already assume a certain level of quants( I think around 46-47). So if are already at that level, then it's fair to say your basics are at a very strong level and that questions which trouble you are not difficult, but has very delicate and tricky GMAT traps. So, start referring the Gmat club math book(bunuel is one of the writers), take a topic, and understand every line from that chapter. Every GMAT trap is mentioned clearly. Once you are done with a chapter, take questions of that chapter from his question collection. Attempt to solve them on your own and then look at the solution. See if you were able to think in a similar way. If yes, you have learnt well from the book. Else, go back to that chapter and revise. You will get hold of a topic eventually.

Also, these topics are the most important, as already been mentioned on the forum many times: Number properties, statistics, inequalities and Absolute values, probablity and combinations. You fair well at these, high chances of touching 49/50.

Thanks a lot for a prompt reply

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Congratulations on the awesome score, Manishcfc8! And thank you for the shoutout -- really happy to hear that the videos helped a little bit.

Good luck with your applications!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 03:37
Congratulations on 720 Score :-)

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE: Education (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
Dili Dili! (From an American beer commercial for "Good Show!)

McCombs MBA 1990, Hook'Em Horns. I am helping my son prep for 2019, while trying to keep a 66 y.o. brain active. ;-)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 22:58
vishwajeet2015 wrote:
Manishcfc8 wrote:

Thank you for being patient with this debrief I would like to thank everyone associated with this forum, especially bb, Bunuel, daagh, GMATNinja, and Souvik.

First of congrats.great feat
Could u plz elaborate..on how u practiced Bunuel's quant collection....like did u focus on certain topics...bcz its huge..
Just guide how to deal with quant.As i am stuck around 45-46...

Congratulations.. can u pls provide Link for Bunuel comprehensive quant Collection ???

Sent from my Redmi 3S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
1 KUDOS received
D
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS
Re: GMAT 1st attempt; 720 Q49V39   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 02:25

GMAT 1st attempt; 720 Q49V39

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JANUARY
Math Revolution - Free Free Diagnostic Quant Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
examPAL - Free Video Course A complete on-demand GMAT course
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap