Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: GMAT 640 - Enhanced score report attached [#permalink]
Kudos
Balajikarthick1990 wrote:

Hi Arun

Thanks for your reply. My preparation materials included OG16,12, VR2 and Gmat prep questions. My accuracy in all the 3 sections of verbal improved to a decent level (>75%). I made a 500 pager notebook with all the Sc, Rc and Cr patterns.

Accuracy is an incorrect measure because we don't know the difficulty level of those questions. Decent accuracy on tough questions is tougher than high accuracy in easy questions.

Also 500-pager notebook with "patterns" is interesting. What did you note down here? I cannot imagine anyone writing 500-pages so :)

I didnot memorize anything,and I have been preparing for more than 7 months and eventually in most of the questions, I could spot the 3-2 split.

To give you an example: in CR, if there is a question that tells about the increase in revenue of a particular city A and it is a strengthen question : I would prethink without looking the choices and definitely there would be options such as increase in revenue in city B (other cities followed a similar pattern), Increase in profit in city A, decrease in labour costs(No where this is mentioned in the argument) etc.

I am very sure in my GMAT prep`s , my CR score`s were ranging from 35 to 42. In my actual exam, I got 8 out of 10 questions correct (as per ESR), and I vividly remember that I got 2 bold faced CR, 1 long 4 paragraph convoluted RC (it definitely drained a lot of energy from me) - Eventhough I made quick notes/maps, It still was kind of difficult (3 out of 4 questions in that RC were detailed based specific questions).

Okay I am just hypothesising with this data. Did you feel you were sometimes on a tightrope walk between: (a) Assuming too much (b) Taking everything out of scope?

For example, do you have trouble with these kind of questions:
guidebook-writer-have-visited-hotels-throughout-the-country-80358.html

The reason is I just want to ensure that AFTER the 3-2 split you are still equipped to find out the right answer. Because, at the end of the day, going from 20% to 50% probability isn't the deal - it is getting to 100% that matters i.e. getting the right answer. See if you are having issues with this "last mile" issue.

A 29th %ile tells us that something is clearly wrong.

Coming to SC, My accuracy in GMAT prep was ranging from 30 - 40, and in most of the questions, I lose in the 3-2 split. In questions where native speakers claim "Awkwardness or concise" in deciding between the 2 choices, I somehow fall into the trap and lose the battle.

Some tips on SC based on what you have written:

1) "Awkwardness and concision" are the worst reasons to pick an answer. There is ALWAYS a grammatical / logical reason to pick the right answer. Are you in a position to confidently explain ANY SC question - once you know what the correct answer is? Without looking up forums / explanatory answers.

2) A lot of 35+ V questions deal with logic (honestly the gmat test setter's job these days is terribly tough!). So what would you do when you see a question like this one:
as-the-former-chair-of-the-planning-board-for-18-consecutive-69993.html
(again like the previous example - don't solve this question - just get a sense of WHAT you would do when you see a similar problem)

3) Don't rely on things like active > passive, and idioms in the first pass - they should be your last resort. Were you tripping on these things?

Again you are saying you were between the last 2 - but you don't mention whether you got them correct. Also on how many questions did you get till this stage?

Timing was not a major issue for me. I guessed the last question in quant and in verbal. I watched one of your videos in which you have mentioned that retaking GMAT prep is definitely a worthy measure.
You were 100% correct, as I started performing well, I saw a lot of new questions. I started with a 560 (7 months back - diagnostic), averaged between 660 and 700 (preparation phase) . In my last 3 exams (mostly retakes), I scored between 700 and 720.

So that`s the story. Quant - after exhausting OG, I solved mainly the 1000+ questions on the gmat club tests. I scored a DS-51 and PS-48 in actual GMAT. Verbal - I used manhattan SC, GMAT CLUB notes and Powerscore for CR.

Your tips would be highly valuable.

Thanks

I see that you were averaging around 680 but in your final prep tests got to only 710. Given you spent 7 months - why such a low increase in the scores?

Also if you were seeing repeat questions, I assume the final few GMATPrep scores were inflated. In that case, why would you be disappointed with a 640 because you are real range was probably around 680. If I were you - I would go back and check my GMATPrep tests and try to analyse why I got the"new" questions (<- once I had not seen before) wrong. That is really the biggest challenge and that is where the real learning would lie.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT 640 - Enhanced score report attached [#permalink]