Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.41
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: GMAT 670 is enough to apply for Columbia or Cornell? [#permalink]
Kudos
While GMAT 670 is on lower side for both school, if I were you, I'd definitely try even with 670 to both school. Since you are Brazilian, I'd consider it as an advantage that will offset GMAT quite a bit. If it doesn't work out, then you can aim for 700 and reapply next year.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
tiagofsa10 wrote:
Hello everyone!
I just took the GMAT and scored a 670. Do you guys think it is enough for schools such as Columbia and Cornell?
I'm a candidate from Brazil and have a poor GPA of 2.7, which I think is not comparable with american gpa's since almost nobody in my school graduated with gpa's of 3.5 or higher.
Does the ADCOM compares GPA's from different countries?
Work experience:
I have 4 years of work experience, the last 3 of them working for one of the biggest banks in Latin America (Itau).
Currently I'm working on budget forecast and financial analysis, reporting directly to the CFO.
I got promoted 2 times and I'm considered a good potencial for the bank in the future. If I got admited the bank will sponsor my tuition and living costs.
Do you guys think sponsored students have higher chances of getting admited? just wondering...
I'm also a former basketball player in Brazil and currently run half marathons. I speak Portuguese (native), English and Spanish.
I also did volunteer activities, helped people starting their carrier in finance teaching them the basics of finance and so on...
Do I have a chance or I should retake the GMAT?
thanks! :D

While 670 is on the low side, it won't be the only reason you get dinged. However, with low GPA, it's insanely difficult to get into a top school - you will need to submit a perfect app and hope that adcom likes something in it.

CBS is notorious for being a GMAT hog, and in the info session, I heard their adcom director saying that you need either a GPA or a GMAT to be higher than our average. Also, with your finance background, you chances diminish significantly because CBS gets lot of apps with finance people with much stronger scores/GPAs.

Cornell, I feel you have a shot!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Its so bad to know CBS adcom won't take my application for serious...
I know my GPS is on the lower side but I think there are differences between the average american GPA and a Brazilian GPA. Thanks for the tip anyway... I think I'll apply for some other schools next season but not Columbia.. =/
Which schools do you guys think my profile will be competitive assuming I won't retake the gmat?
Like I said I got a full sponsorship (for the next season) but I do have to be admited in a top 10 school.
thanks for all replys... :D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Decided to retake the GMAT on the feb 28th and schedule a campus visit next march at Cornell - Johnson to boast my application.
Got in contact with currents students and alumnus...hope it helps :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
tiagofsa10 wrote:
Hello everyone!
I just took the GMAT and scored a 670. Do you guys think it is enough for schools such as Columbia and Cornell?
I'm a candidate from Brazil and have a poor GPA of 2.7, which I think is not comparable with american gpa's since almost nobody in my school graduated with gpa's of 3.5 or higher.
Does the ADCOM compares GPA's from different countries?
Work experience:
I have 4 years of work experience, the last 3 of them working for one of the biggest banks in Latin America (Itau).
Currently I'm working on budget forecast and financial analysis, reporting directly to the CFO.
I got promoted 2 times and I'm considered a good potencial for the bank in the future. If I got admited the bank will sponsor my tuition and living costs.
Do you guys think sponsored students have higher chances of getting admited? just wondering...
I'm also a former basketball player in Brazil and currently run half marathons. I speak Portuguese (native), English and Spanish.
I also did volunteer activities, helped people starting their carrier in finance teaching them the basics of finance and so on...
Do I have a chance or I should retake the GMAT?
thanks! :D

I applied to 6 schools this year (see to the left) with a 2.75 and a 690. I was admitted to Johnson. I think what really worked for me well was I was able to sell my experience and story well during the interview. You seem to have a great background, but less-than-stellar hard numbers. As someone else mentioned earlier, if you apply with your current stats, you'll have to really nail the essays - your story will have to be solid.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Tiagofsa,

I work with the Admissions team at the Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University and would encourage you to apply. From your message below, it seems like you have a diverse background and some solid professional experience. I'd be happy to connect with you personally to answer any questions you might have. Looking forward to hearing from you and best wishes on your MBA journey.

Jade Kinsman
Admissions and Application Manager
jab832@cornell.edu
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi Tiago,

I was in your exact same shoes last year. I gave it a try and got admitted to Johnson with a 670. Sent me a PM if you want more info.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts