GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 22:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT and GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT and GPA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 11:53
Hello, I have this issue. If you get above a 700 in your gmat or high 600s buy your undergrad GPA was not so impressive how much of an effect would your GMAT help in the selection process to help you gain admission even possibly a scholarship. My preferred school is SMU in Dallas and their average GMAT is 664. Any advise will help, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: GMAT and GPA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 19:51
The best way to balance out a low GPA is with a high GMAT. And for the sake of simplicity consider a high GMAT, one that exceeds the avg GMAT at your target school. So you have the right gameplan here

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 21:49
Yes definitely they're looking for academic aptitude and ability to succeed. The GMAT is actually more important than your grades and so getting a strong GMAT that's well over the average of that school is a very good step to getting into the school and opening the chances for a scholarship. That said if your GMAT is abominably low, like less than a 2.5, I really don't know so much about how that will go. Probably a gray area for that school between 2 and 2.5 but I doubt you would get in with less than a 2.0.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Expert Post
Experts' Global Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 06:26
bosho1 wrote:
Hello, I have this issue. If you get above a 700 in your gmat or high 600s buy your undergrad GPA was not so impressive how much of an effect would your GMAT help in the selection process to help you gain admission even possibly a scholarship. My preferred school is SMU in Dallas and their average GMAT is 664. Any advise will help, thank you.

Hi bosho1,

The GMAT is definitely among the most important components of the applications process and considering your GPA was low, you definitely need to offset the same with a GMAT score higher than the average at SMU :)

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 14:49
bosho1 wrote:

It is great to show a higher GMAT to help to offset a low GPA. However it doesn't offset it completely. Keep in mind the demographic factor as well. Depending on your demographic, you may want to get a higher than average GMAT anyway and then even higher to offset GPA. Of course this is all individualized.

In addition, taking graduate level courses can show your ability to succeed academically in a way a GMAT may not show. GMAT is most important but once you reach your full potential, showing extra courses is often advised.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Re: GMAT and GPA   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2018, 14:49

GMAT and GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap