Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:26 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [1]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club World Cup 2022 (DAY 1): One perplexing result of General [#permalink]
Meaning:
One perplexing result of General Relativity is the prediction that gravitational singularities lie at the heart of black holes, a point where the laws of physics no longer seem to apply. This result has been supported by subsequent research.
Errors:
A)
i) Hearts is incorrect. Heart in singular form is correct
ii) And that has been...research is misplaced modifier
B)
i)Meaning distortion: prediction at the heart of black...singularity
ii)Misplaced modifier point modifying gravitation instead of heart
C)
i) Incorrect modifier modifying singularity instead it should be modifying heart
E) Misplace modifier like B)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [1]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club World Cup 2022 (DAY 1): One perplexing result of General [#permalink]
Kudos
(A) One perplexing result of General Relativity is the prediction that gravitational singularities lie at the hearts of black holes, a point where the laws of physics no longer seem to apply, and that has been supported by subsequent research.

“a point where” is the appositive that supposedly refers to a singular noun ahead. However, there is no such singular noun in front.

(B) One perplexing result of General Relativity is the prediction at the heart of each black hole of a gravitational singularity, a point at which the laws of physics no longer seem to apply, but a prediction that has been supported by subsequent research.

“the prediction at the heart of each black hole” this part implies that the prediction exists at the heart of each black hole. Unintended meaning.

(C) One of the perplexing results of General Relativity is the prediction, supported by subsequent research, that at the heart of each black hole lies a gravitational singularity, a point at which the laws of physics no longer seem to apply.

Correct answer because now an appositive correctly refers to “gravitational singularity”

(D) The prediction of a gravitational singularity at the heart of each black hole, a perplexing result of General Relativity but one that is supported by subsequent research, is a point where the laws of physics no longer seem to apply.

this choice literally says that the prediction is a point where the laws no longer apply. Unintended meaning.

(E) The prediction that at the heart of each black hole lies a gravitational singularity, a point at which the laws of physics no longer seem to apply, is a perplexing result of General Relativity but supported by subsequent research.

In the construction “A but B” elements should be parallel. However, here A is a noun and B is an adjective.

So C
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jahnavi2021 wrote:
Option C is the correct answer, it rightly places the modifiers and has subject verb agreement.

Hi. I am giving points this time but please make sure to address why the other answer choices are incorrect.
Thx.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Jainam24,

Please make sure to label OA and correct answer choice. It is not really clear even after reading these a few times.
I assume you picked D as the correct answer but not sure and thus not able to give points. Sorry.

Good luck tomorrow!
-BB

Jainam24 wrote:
Meaning:
One perplexing result of General Relativity is the prediction that gravitational singularities lie at the heart of black holes, a point where the laws of physics no longer seem to apply. This result has been supported by subsequent research.
Errors:
A)
i) Hearts is incorrect. Heart in singular form is correct
ii) And that has been...research is misplaced modifier
B)
i)Meaning distortion: prediction at the heart of black...singularity
ii)Misplaced modifier point modifying gravitation instead of heart
C)
i) Incorrect modifier modifying singularity instead it should be modifying heart
E) Misplace modifier like B)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 380 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
WE:Brand Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
One perplexing result of General Relativity is the prediction that gravitational singularities lie at the hearts of black holes, a point where the laws of physics no longer seem to apply, and that has been supported by subsequent research.

(A) One perplexing result of General Relativity is the prediction that gravitational singularities lie at the hearts of black holes, a point where the laws of physics no longer seem to apply, and that has been supported by subsequent research.

(B) One perplexing result of General Relativity is the prediction at the heart of each black hole of a gravitational singularity, a point at which the laws of physics no longer seem to apply, but a prediction that has been supported by subsequent research.

(C) One of the perplexing results of General Relativity is the prediction, supported by subsequent research, that at the heart of each black hole lies a gravitational singularity, a point at which the laws of physics no longer seem to apply.

(D) The prediction of a gravitational singularity at the heart of each black hole, a perplexing result of General Relativity but one that is supported by subsequent research, is a point where the laws of physics no longer seem to apply.

(E) The prediction that at the heart of each black hole lies a gravitational singularity, a point at which the laws of physics no longer seem to apply, is a perplexing result of General Relativity but supported by subsequent research.

This question is by Manhattan Prep for the GMAT Club World Cup Competition

Compete, Get Better, Win prizes and more

Okay, we can eliminate options based on split answers. There are multiple choices but let us start with the point at which rules do not apply. It is clear that a gravitational singularity is the point at which the laws of physics no longer seem to apply, so options A and D are out since they imply that black holes and research are the points. Left with B,C and E. Option B is a little redundant with prediction used more than once to serve the same purpose. Between C and E, C is the most concise and well structured getting the point across as well

Answer - C
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619769 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
One perplexing result of General Relativity is the prediction that gravitational singularities lie at the hearts of black holes, a point where the laws of physics no longer seem to apply, and that has been supported by subsequent research.

This question is by Manhattan Prep for the GMAT Club World Cup Competition

Compete, Get Better, Win prizes and more

Official Explanation is pinned as BEST Reply HERE.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
bb Bunuel ThatDudeKnows MartyTargetTestPrep avigutman egmat please clarify as to what 'the point' modifies and how do we determine it? I thought it modifies black hole but seems like it is modifying singularities. I do not know why, moreover both these nouns are plural so how can it even modify any of these. If it is modifying black holes, then how is it allowed to skip the preceding verb 'lies'. Meaning wise, both the words seem to make sense for reference except the pluraity issue. How do we decide?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
please clarify as to what 'the point' modifies and how do we determine it? I thought it modifies black hole but seems like it is modifying singularities. I do not know why, moreover both these nouns are plural so how can it even modify any of these. If it is modifying black holes, then how is it allowed to skip the preceding verb 'lies'. Meaning wise, both the words seem to make sense for reference except the pluraity issue. How do we decide?

Which version are you talking about? In the correct version both "black hole" and "singularity" are singular, and "the point" modifies "singularity."
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
GMAT Club World Cup 2022 (DAY 1): One perplexing result of General [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
bb Bunuel ThatDudeKnows MartyTargetTestPrep avigutman egmat please clarify as to what 'the point' modifies and how do we determine it? I thought it modifies black hole but seems like it is modifying singularities. I do not know why, moreover both these nouns are plural so how can it even modify any of these. If it is modifying black holes, then how is it allowed to skip the preceding verb 'lies'. Meaning wise, both the words seem to make sense for reference except the pluraity issue. How do we decide?

Elite097

The correct answer choice makes everything singular:

(C) One of the perplexing results of General Relativity is the prediction, supported by subsequent research, that at the heart of EACH black holE lies A gravitational singularitY, A poinT at which the laws of physics no longer seem to apply.

Rather than talking about black holeS, gravitational singularitieS, and pointS, the construction of this answer choice allows us to discuss how each (which is singular) yadda yadda yadda. Make sense?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
ThatDudeKnows ok but what is it referring to blackhole or singularity and how do we know that without technical info?

ThatDudeKnows wrote:
Elite097 wrote:

Elite097

The correct answer choice makes everything singular:

(C) One of the perplexing results of General Relativity is the prediction, supported by subsequent research, that at the heart of EACH black holE lies A gravitational singularitY, A poinT at which the laws of physics no longer seem to apply.

Rather than talking about black holeS, gravitational singularitieS, and pointS, the construction of this answer choice allows us to discuss how each (which is singular) yadda yadda yadda. Make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Options D & E can be eliminated for "the prediction" (incorrect) vs. "one of the predictions" (correct)
Option B alters the meaning.
Between Option A & C, A has issue in parallelism of "that..." which is eliminated in C.
Hence Option C.

Open for discussion.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts