GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 13:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

GMAT Debrief 710

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT Debrief 710  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Aug 2018, 04:46
GMAT Debrief--

710 - Q- 50,V- 36, IR -5 (August 24 , 2018)

Around 70 days before the test date i decided to get serious about the exam , went through the Crackverbal,E-GMAT and Target test prep books and videos.

Scores during practice

GMATCLUB Quant exams - 49-50
TTP Practice exams -90% Accuracy
E-GMAT Verbal Scholarnium -60-70%

With around 40 days left for the exam i decided to start practice cats i bought manhattan,veritas and official gmat

i started giving these exams on july 19th almost 1 month prior to the scheduled date

VERITAS - 700,680,680,690,710,690

MGMAT - 680,680,620,670,600(this test was a bit too hard for some reason)

GMAT Official - 660,700,680,700,710,710

-(My last 2 gmatprep exams were exactly the same as my score on the test)

The reason i was confident about the actual exam was because i am one of those people who just cant get 100% serious for mock cats as i would for the real one
Sometimes if the question was irritating enough id eliminate and move on which i probably wont do on the real exam.
So if you are one of those people who gives practice cats as seriously as u would the real one,first of all "WOW" and second they would probably indicate ur actual gmat score pretty well in that case.

On exam day --

I did not get proper sleep on the night before, but i had enough sleep to work with (7 hours)
But the worst happened in the first half.I panicked mid verbal section, i thought one of the SC question was a bit too easy and i was convinced that i was bombing the test for sure.
I was almost about to give up thinking i would have to go for another attempt anyway but somehow i convinced myself that its one of those experimental ones but still by the end of the section i was not convinced. At the end of it i was sure that i bombed the verbal section
V-36

I think the verbal fiasco had an effect on my quant score too which i will say could have gone much better...on a good day im sure i would have aced the exam with a 31/31 but today was not that day i had doubts about at least 4 questions thanks to the panic effect from the previous verbal section.
Q -50

At this point i had lost hope and this went on with my IR section too
IR -5 (I always scored 6-7 on the practice tests)

By the time i was at the AWA section i just wanted to type "OK" in the prompt and click "end exam" to check my failed score.
And then it flashed "710" i did not know whether i should be sad for not being able to give my best or happy that after such a disaster of a performance i somehow reached my practice cat average bare minimum.

Mistakes i did during prep and during exam which i think others should avoid

1) Spend more time on theory - Do NOT DO THIS
i did not understand this earlier
i wish i had understood this earlier and cut into the theory time

2) TIMING was the devil - Even till and on the exam day i still struggled with completing the exam on time (i guessed in between of course)
i struggled with timing on all the practice cats too , especially verbal i never could really understand how to plan the whole section
Please work on your skill level as well as timing , i only did the first half but timing is as important as skill level which i realised very late into my prep schedule.

By the end of Exam pack 2 this was my strategy for verbal

35 min for first 18 questions
15 mins for the next 9 and rushing any leftovers from first 18
15 mins for the last 9 ..no leftovers by this point

My reasoning was that i did not want any straight mistakes in the first 10 or last 10 which would could really hurt the score or avoid running ( god forbid) out of time (never let this happen).

I did not really need any strategy for quant but if anything i am a bit careless and messy person and i am very prone to silly mistakes
So i just wanted to avoid errors due to misinterpreting the question stem,forgetting cases and making assumptions.

3) NOT COMPLETING OG - Complete the OG ,OG Q and OG V
Although i did the questions , i did not complete all of the questions which i think might have played a role in the fact that i could not score
higher.
i guess there were logic gaps between my thinking and gmat way of thinking which could have been bridged by completing these books.

4) I did not touch any of the famous holy grails of each section such as Powerscore CR Bible or MGMAT SC or RC99 which maybe i should have.

Test prep courses review--
1) If you live in Bangalore and are looking for a Classroom cSCourse ,join Crackverbal without a doubt.

2) If you are someone who struggles with Quant id say TTP will help u to get to those 45-46 scores pretty comfortably - really good course.

3) And if you are a non native who struggles with SC -EGMAT is really good.

That is all i have to say, Thanks for bearing with me.

A quick snapshot of my profile

UG -BTech - IIT Kharagpur - 6.34/10
22 months as an Associate Consultant at Capgemini Analytics Business Unit.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by KrishnaHChaitanya on 25 Aug 2018, 03:26.
Last edited by KrishnaHChaitanya on 25 Aug 2018, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.
Rice (Jones) Thread Master
B
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Re: GMAT Debrief 710  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 08:10
Congratulations KrishnaHChaitanya. This is a great score. Your insight will come handy to those of us still preparing.

All the best with your applications.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
P
Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT Debrief 710  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 08:42
KrishnaHChaitanya
Thanks for sharing debrief and Best of luck for your applications.
SC Moderator
G
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 11:46
Many Congratulations KrishnaHChaitanya on your score.

Could not agree more with all the takeaways you have provided, I am sure they are going to come handy to future GMAT aspirants.

And all the best for your applications! :thumbup:

The few, the fearless !

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 16:33
Well done KrishnaHChaitanya. Your post was very enlightening! How many hours would you say that you studied for the gmat?
Congrats!

Cheers
Erik

Wish my good luck for 700 before Christmas!
If you think my post provided any help, please give +1 kudos, it helps a lot! <3

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 03:26
ErikLewe wrote:
Well done KrishnaHChaitanya. Your post was very enlightening! How many hours would you say that you studied for the gmat?
Congrats!

Cheers
Erik

Id say i put in around 150-200 hours
Initially i put a lot into quant because for me going from a baseline of 45 to 51 felt much easier at that time , once i hit my target quant score , i started verbal - this was around -30% of my prep time
Verbal took around 70% of my prep time - i was decent in rc and to some degree sc
CR is where i had the most trouble , but once i started figuring out the patterns it became easier to deal either - around 40% of my overall prep time went into CR :lol:
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q36 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q46 V33
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 11:57
KrishnaHChaitanya wrote:
ErikLewe wrote:
Congrats!

Cheers
Erik

Id say i put in around 150-200 hours
Initially i put a lot into quant because for me going from a baseline of 45 to 51 felt much easier at that time , once i hit my target quant score , i started verbal - this was around -30% of my prep time
Verbal took around 70% of my prep time - i was decent in rc and to some degree sc
CR is where i had the most trouble , but once i started figuring out the patterns it became easier to deal either - around 40% of my overall prep time went into CR :lol:

Did you complete all the Easy, Medium & Hard Chapter tests for TTP? And Finish all the chapters?
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 18:10
Congrats on an amazing score! I’m so pumped that TTP was able to help you achieve a Quant 50.

Good luck with things moving forward.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Debrief 710 &nbs [#permalink] 28 Aug 2018, 18:10

GMAT Debrief 710

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap