Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:33 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72908 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Algorithm - importance of the first 6 Questions is GONE [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Tukkebaaz wrote:

Fantastic tool bb one suggestion I have is, if we can add the score mapping for Focus v/s classic so folks can play around real-time to see score break-ups:)

Thank you. I just grabbed an online "pricing" calculator and not sure I can integrate the classic test score but it is a nice idea.... 👍 It may be a different calculator. Let me try.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72908 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Focus Algorithm - importance of the first 6 Questions is GONE [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Focus7 wrote:
I wanted to understand that are RC’s on the GMAT focus edition mock shorter than usual due to less time on the verbal section?

Posted from my mobile device

Very Good question. While taking the tests, I did not really notice much of a difference but let us be more scientific.
Let me compare my last GMAT Prep vs. Focus Tests. Here are the results between long and short passages.

GMAT Classic GMAT Focus
Short Passage
(3 questions)
P1: 237 words
P2: 228 words
P1: 202 words
P2: 213 words
Long Passage
(4 questions)
P1: 352 words
P2: 360 words
P1: 384 words
P2: 353 words

It looks like the shorter passages may be a bit shorter. I am seeing a small difference of about 10 words. That's 5% when you take a 200-word passage into consideration. However, that may be just a natural difference and I just happen to have shorter/longer passages. I am going to guess that the passages used on the Focus edition will come from the GMAT Classic edition. It will be too much work otherwise to create and redo all the questions and will be disruptive and costly to do, so my guess is the passages are interchangeable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Algorithm - importance of the first 6 Questions is GONE [#permalink]
But would this mean that we are more likely to see shorter passages in the verbal section?
And I also wanted to understand if the question stem for CR has become smaller?

I am raising these doubts as I saw a YouTube video by a GMAT tutor reviewing the focus edition mocks where he stated the passages and question stems are smaller on the focus edition which makes retention, critical analysis and comprehension easier and faster

He drew an overall conclusion that on a difficulty scale if GMAT classic quant was 10/10 on difficulty then focus edition was 7/10

And if verbal was 10/10 then focus it was 6/10

I haven’t taken a mock yet because I’m not done studying all my topics, so I just want to know whatever he is saying is true or not?

Thanks bb

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [1]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Focus7 wrote:
But would this mean that we are more likely to see shorter passages in the verbal section?

I am raising these doubts as I saw a YouTube video by a GMAT tutor reviewing the focus edition mocks where he stated the passages and question stems are smaller on the focus edition which makes retention, critical analysis and comprehension easier and faster

He drew an overall conclusion that on a difficulty scale if GMAT classic quant was 10/10 on difficulty then focus edition was 7/10

I haven’t taken a mock yet because I’m not done studying all my topics, so I just want to know whatever he is saying is true or not?

Thanks bb

Hi Focus7,

I would strongly urge you not to expect either RC or CR to change. For now, try to look at the verbal section of the Focus Edition as {current verbal - SC}. Of course, you can link to the video you mentioned if it contains any compelling evidence.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72908 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
There’s no difference in the passage length it seems. During the gmat focus test, you can get a combination of short or long passages. You can also get all short passages or all long passages but usually it’s a combination.

I’m not sure if the Tutor who shared this information had measured the words and looked at every passage or if they just visually made this hypothesis.

Taking the GMAT prep focus edition, I did not notice a difference and I think my word counts also support that observation with evidence, although this is just one test with four passages and I think the two free tests probably have around 20 passages. Perhaps in the future there may be a change to verbal components but if we are to judge based on the information we have which is only the gmat prep test, then I would say reading comprehension and critical reasoning have generally stayed the same.

PS. It appears I may have a conversation with GMAC sometime next week about the test structure and components and I will inquire about this specific question but I would say there is more evidence to the contrary.

Focus7 wrote:

Thanks bb

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Thank you! Going to continue preparing like I’m giving the normal gmat minus sc and geometry!

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72908 [1]
Send PM