Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:59 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72911 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1429 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 367
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT Focus 1:
525 Q80 V75 DI73
GMAT Focus 2:
585 Q84 V77 DI76
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
GMAT Focus Algorithm - importance of the first 6 Questions is GONE [#permalink]
Real GMAT FE  Quant Score : 80 (66th Percentile)­, Edit Review: Incorrect to Correct: 1, Incorrect to Incorrect: 1.  Any thoughts why i got a low score?­
Tutor
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Algorithm - importance of the first 6 Questions is GONE [#permalink]
Expert Reply

animesh45 wrote:
b[img]Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 20.34.22[/img] MartyMurray any thoughts why i got a low score?

­Hi Animesh.

Do you know which question's answer you edited to make it correct?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Algorithm - importance of the first 6 Questions is GONE [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
We have seen some strange scoring on the quantitative section of GMAT focus. We don’t have a good explanation besides some guesses but the worst score we have seen was 79 with two wrong. I need to find that discussion but it was very surprising.

The only explanation I have can come up with is that the question mix was generally easy. As the result, even a single mistake has a significant impact on the score. When you combine this with the desire that GMAC has expressed about creating a wider spread in the quantitative scores, it resulted into brutal scoring 😬 but this is only a guess, this is not a fact.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
GMAT Focus 1:
525 Q80 V75 DI73
GMAT Focus 2:
585 Q84 V77 DI76
Send PM
MartyMurray wrote:
animesh45 wrote:
b[img]Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 20.34.22[/img] MartyMurray any thoughts why i got a low score?

­Hi Animesh.

­Hi MartyMurray

Question No. 8 : Incorrect to Incorrect. It was a work rate problem. Spent 5 mins on this.

Question No. 9: Incorrect to Correct. It was a remainder problem including some unknown variable. 

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
525 Q80 V75 DI73
GMAT Focus 2:
585 Q84 V77 DI76
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
We have seen some strange scoring on the quantitative section of GMAT focus. We don’t have a good explanation besides some guesses but the worst score we have seen was 79 with two wrong. I need to find that discussion but it was very surprising.

The only explanation I have can come up with is that the question mix was generally easy. As the result, even a single mistake has a significant impact on the score. When you combine this with the desire that GMAC has expressed about creating a wider spread in the quantitative scores, it resulted into brutal scoring 😬 but this is only a guess, this is not a fact.

­I got the 3rd question wrong, most likely that's what killed my score. First 7 questions i found extremely easy. Struggled with Q. 8, spent 5 mins, then Q. 9 also i marked wrong initially, edited to correct later on.  
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
animesh45 wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
­Hi Animesh.

­Hi MartyMurray

Question No. 8 : Incorrect to Incorrect. It was a work rate problem. Spent 5 mins on this.

Question No. 9: Incorrect to Correct. It was a remainder problem including some unknown variable.

­So, you missed question 3, which may have been relatively easy, driving down your score and the dificulty of the questions that followed. Then, you drove down the difficulty again by missing 8 and 9, even though you later got 9 correct.

So, those two factors probably explain why your score was lower than you might expect with just three missed questions.­
Intern
Intern
GMAT Focus 1:
525 Q80 V75 DI73
GMAT Focus 2:
585 Q84 V77 DI76
Send PM
MartyMurray wrote:
animesh45 wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
­Hi Animesh.

­Hi MartyMurray

­So, you missed question 3, which may have been relatively easy, driving down your score and the dificulty of the questions that followed. Then, you drove down the difficulty again by missing 8 and 9, even though you later got 9 correct.

So, those two factors probably explain why your score was lower than you might expect with just three missed questions.­

­Yes, that might be the reason. Editing Incorrect to Correct didn't add much. My streak of correct questions are not that long.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Focus 1:
525 Q80 V75 DI73
GMAT Focus 2:
585 Q84 V77 DI76
Send PM
bb Is it possible that I performed poorly in the preceeding sections (Verbal & DI) and that's why i got an easier pool of questions in Quant section and got penalised heavily for 3 mistakes?­
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1429 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
animesh45 wrote:
bb Is it possible that I performed poorly in the preceeding sections (Verbal & DI) and that's why i got an easier pool of questions in Quant section and got penalised heavily for 3 mistakes?­

­Hi Animesh.

Performing poorly on the preceding sections would be a factor causing you to score low on Quant because, as a result of your performing poorly on previous sections, you would have started with relatively easy Quant questions that would have been worth relatively little.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Focus 1:
525 Q80 V75 DI73
GMAT Focus 2:
585 Q84 V77 DI76
Send PM
MartyMurray wrote:
animesh45 wrote:

­Hi Animesh.

Performing poorly on the preceding sections would be a factor causing you to score low on Quant because, as a result of your performing poorly on previous sections, you would have started with relatively easy Quant questions that would have been worth relatively little.

­Hi MartyMurray

YES!! Finally some reasonable insights. Thank You very much.
Next time I am going to choose the order strategically. 
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
animesh45 wrote:
­Hi MartyMurray

YES!! Finally some reasonable insights. Thank You very much.
Next time I am going to choose the order strategically. 

­Yes, that idea is actually really interesting to me as well.

Now, having thought about that, I better understand how it is that people get relatively low scores with just a few missed questions.
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4128 [3]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Kudos

MartyMurray wrote:
animesh45 wrote:

­Hi Animesh.

­
Hello Marty,

Thanks for your input. I don't suppose GMAT Focused Ed. is section adaptive. Representatives from GMAC clarified this information over a few different webinars in the past.

Here is one of such webinars that I could locate off the internet -

https://youtu.be/ln_fH7rxPLA?t=2545

In a nutshell we were told that - GMAT Focused Ed. is not section adaptive. It is question adaptive. 

Happy to hear if you think otherwise.   :)­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
gmatophobia wrote:

MartyMurray wrote:
animesh45 wrote:

­Hi Animesh.

­
Hello Marty,

Thanks for your input. I don't suppose GMAT Focused Ed. is section adaptive. Representatives from GMAC clarified this information over a few different webinars in the past.

Here is one of such webinars that I could locate off the internet -

https://youtu.be/ln_fH7rxPLA?t=2545

In a nutshell we were told that - GMAT Focused Ed. is not section adaptive. It is question adaptive. 

Happy to hear if you think otherwise.   :)­

Good info that needs to be dispersed

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72911 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The section adaptive side of things is a big controversy. First, GMAC said GMAT was question and section adaptive. Later they said it was not section adaptive but only question adaptive. In our attempts to get the answer out of them, they said they would not comment on it. I don’t know which Side to believe especially since everything’s coming from one side and it’s conflicting

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [1]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
animesh45 wrote:

­Hi animesh45,

I'm not sure if this helps, but the GMAT cannot select an easier pool of questions on the basis of your performance in an earlier section. I believe that the impact is limited (that is, it is not a major adjustment) and that the impact is limited to only one question (the first).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
The section adaptive side of things is a big controversy. First, GMAC said GMAT was question and section adaptive. Later they said it was not section adaptive but only question adaptive. In our attempts to get the answer out of them, they said they would not comment on it. I don’t know which Side to believe especially since everything’s coming from one side and it’s conflicting

­Hi bb,

The GMAT is question-adaptive.

A lot of the confusion that I've seen on GMAT club about this issue is due to a misunderstanding of the terms section-adaptive and question-adaptive. I've tried to address that in this post: Myth Buster: Is the GMAT Section-Adaptive?.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AjiteshArun wrote:
bb wrote:

­Hi bb,

The GMAT is question-adaptive.

A lot of the confusion that I've seen on GMAT club about this issue is due to a misunderstanding of the terms section-adaptive and question-adaptive. I've tried to address that in this post: Myth Buster: Is the GMAT Section-Adaptive?.

I understand your point. And while I agree with it as well, I feel it’s important to state the fact that GMAC has flip-flopped on their comments and at the end has not given us a definitive answer on this matter. Just stating a fact. Maybe it is too obvious but just in case.

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5