It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 20:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.42
GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 18:53
I have taken all but two CATs in the GMATPrep Exam Packs and usually score between 41-44 on those. In my two attempts at the GMAT Focus tests my score range has been 46-51 and 45-49. My question is, in the experience/opinion among GMAT takers, how accurate a predictor of test performance is the GMAT Focus scaled score range?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 981

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 4

Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 20:20
cananalyst wrote:
I have taken all but two CATs in the GMATPrep Exam Packs and usually score between 41-44 on those. In my two attempts at the GMAT Focus tests my score range has been 46-51 and 45-49. My question is, in the experience/opinion among GMAT takers, how accurate a predictor of test performance is the GMAT Focus scaled score range?
I haven't taken the Focus tests recently, but here's what I remember: (a) a lot (or all) repeat questions (from OGs), (b) a really wide score range (47-51), and (c) expensive for the number of questions provided. Maybe someone can confirm whether the question pool has been updated, but I'd recommend that you consider the GMATPrep scores as being far better indicators of your quant score.
_________________

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 9800

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 171

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 16:44
Hi cananalyst,

Score 'ranges' (especially at higher levels) can be rather vague - the advice that I would offer to someone scoring Q46 would differ significantly from the advice I would offer to someone scoring Q50. This is meant to say that if you want an accurate assessment of your GMAT skills, then you should take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT and do so in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). While the 6 Official GMAC CATs are best, any of the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT or Veritas are 'close enough' to the real thing to provide a realistic assessment (assuming that you take the CAT in the proper fashion).

Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 171

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1341

Kudos [?]: 1909 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 17:20
GMATFocus uses real GMAT questions and the real algorithm, so the scoring is 'accurate', and will be more accurate than any company test. As Ajitesh points out above, some of the Focus questions have been published elsewhere (unless they revised the question bank recently), so if you knew some questions in advance, then your score might be inflated. One issue with the Focus tests is that they're shorter than the real GMAT, which is why they give score ranges. The margin of error on any score the Focus tests produce is too large for them to honestly report a pinpoint score, because the tests are a bit too short. Don't always take the midpoint of the score range as your score; you could very well be at the top of the range, or at the bottom, depending, and you should combine the information from a Focus test with your scores on other official tests to get a better idea of your level.

If you've done some study since taking the GMATPrep tests, and didn't recognize any Focus questions, it seems like you've improved to at least a Q46 level. If you did know some questions, that might not be the case though.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 1909 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.42
Re: GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 17:39
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi cananalyst,

Score 'ranges' (especially at higher levels) can be rather vague - the advice that I would offer to someone scoring Q46 would differ significantly from the advice I would offer to someone scoring Q50. This is meant to say that if you want an accurate assessment of your GMAT skills, then you should take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT and do so in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). While the 6 Official GMAC CATs are best, any of the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT or Veritas are 'close enough' to the real thing to provide a realistic assessment (assuming that you take the CAT in the proper fashion).

Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Thanks Rich, I have done both realistic settings and home settings where I only practiced one session. With regard to your questions:
Studies:
1) How long have you studied? 5 months
2) What study materials have you used? Target Test Prep, OG Guide, Manhattan SC Guide, Kaplan 800, GMATPrep, GMATFocus
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
45/44, 42/38, 32/41, 40/42, 35/41, 38/44

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
Dream Score: 44/44 Happy with anything above 700 though
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
Well, later this week but still time to re-take before Round 1 apps
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
Round 1 (Sept 14-Oct. 4)
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
Top Tier: Yale, CBS Second Tier: NYU & Darden Third Tier: McDonough, McCombs, Owen

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 9800

Kudos [?]: 3310 [1], given: 171

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 21:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi cananalyst,

If you're taking the GMAT sometime in the next few days, then you really shouldn't try to do too much additional studying before then. A bit of light study and/or review would be fine, but NO 'cramming' (and you should not plan to take any more practice CATs). You would be better served by getting some extra rest and going into Test Day calm and ready to work. It could be that you'll be all set after your Exam, but you should plan to post back here with the results regardless.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3310 [1], given: 171

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 230

Kudos [?]: 245 [1], given: 32

GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
Re: GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 08:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Cananalyst,

Good question! There's a lot of mystery surrounding the GMAT Focus quizzes. I find the score ranges accurate. As Ian pointed out, GMAT Focus uses the official scoring algorithm. Question overlap with the official guide used to be a problem. A great majority of the overlap has been eliminated. So for people using a relatively recent version of the guides (2017+) you should see very few if any repeats (if using older guides you could just avoid the repeats. There's a thread somewhere pointing them out). GF is expensive on a question per $ basis but in my mind the GMAT Focus quizzes are worth it. They have a whole host of tough questions and keep you honest on the timing side of things. They're great for the last couple of weeks of preparation or for a re-take. Shoot over any follow up questions!

Happy Studies,

A.
_________________

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT vs GRE Comparison

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Kudos [?]: 245 [1], given: 32

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.42
GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 17:16
Thanks everyone for your insight, here's how the real deal went today:

680 (42Q/41V) ......7 IR for those interested.

----Quant felt like quant. I didn't see any concepts I felt blindsided by, I may have over-invested in a few but only toward the end where I felt like I had banked some time. I budgeted four outright guesses and used them.

----For Verbal I started getting a little fatigued and may have fallen into relying on my ear for SC and maybe rushed a little on some CR questions. Finished with ample time.

----I chose to tackle the test in the QUANT>VERBAL>IR>AWA order.

I didn't cancel my score and was fine "banking" a 680 for now but would like to give it a few weeks and try again. I can't absorb anymore math concepts. I have finished the Target Test Prep curriculum and feel like I have a strong enough understanding of the math concepts I need to change the way I am approaching the quant questions more broadly. Any advice on the best way to spend the next few weeks would be greatly appreciated!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 981

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 4

Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 02:14
cananalyst wrote:
Thanks everyone for your insight, here's how the real deal went today:

680 (42Q/41V) ......7 IR for those interested.

----Quant felt like quant. I didn't see any concepts I felt blindsided by, I may have over-invested in a few but only toward the end where I felt like I had banked some time. I budgeted four outright guesses and used them.

----For Verbal I started getting a little fatigued and may have fallen into relying on my ear for SC and maybe rushed a little on some CR questions. Finished with ample time.

----I chose to tackle the test in the QUANT>VERBAL>IR>AWA order.

I didn't cancel my score and was fine "banking" a 680 for now but would like to give it a few weeks and try again. I can't absorb anymore math concepts. I have finished the Target Test Prep curriculum and feel like I have a strong enough understanding of the math concepts I need to change the way I am approaching the quant questions more broadly. Any advice on the best way to spend the next few weeks would be greatly appreciated!
680 is a very good score, and you should keep it. I'm also very impressed by the fact that you got a 41 on verbal even though you felt tired. Make sure that you're well rested for the next attempt, because you shouldn't normally be tired if you're not going with the traditional order.

You might need to continue working on your quant concepts though. I don't know enough about you to rule out any other reasons for your 42, but a 42 on quant usually means that the test taker is not truly comfortable with the concepts being tested. Go ahead and make those changes in approach that you mentioned, but I think it will be good if you keep working on the basics as well.
_________________

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy?   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2017, 02:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
GMAT Prep accuracy young_gun 6 01 Oct 2007, 12:32
Kaplan CAT Scoring Accuracy hopeful101candidate 2 25 Aug 2014, 19:36
EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC MGMAT CAT Score Accuracy TheSituation 5 06 Mar 2010, 06:03
GmatPrep taking it multiple times - accuracy of score combres 4 16 Dec 2010, 16:01
EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC GMAT prep score accuracy... GaryRitchie 3 16 Mar 2012, 19:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Focus Score Range Accuracy?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.