GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 15:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

08:00 PM EST

09:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. Wednesday, February 20th at 8 PM EST
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.

GMAT Mindset and Strategy - Chiranjeev's Posts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Premium Member
Re: GMAT Mindset and Strategy - Chiranjeev's Posts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 21:46
Top Contributor
I see that many GMAT aspirants who don't achieve their target scores despite working hard start doubting either the value of hard work or their own 'ability'. Such doubts are a result of deriving wrong conclusions. Neither can there be a doubt on the value of hard work nor can a person not grow his ability through efforts.

The blame almost always lies on the ‘direction’. Just running won’t lead you to your destination; you must be running in the right direction. The question is: are you working hard ‘the right way’?

What is the right way to prepare for GMAT?

Given that it’s an entrance exam used by reputed b-schools such as HBS to select students, what should the exam test you on?

Your mastery of tricks or techniques?

Obviously, No.

Therefore, you must go beyond the tricks and techniques to build the required skills of comprehension and logical and quantitative reasoning. Whenever you are presented with a technique or a shortcut, you must ask “Why does this technique/trick work?”. A concept becomes a trick if you don't understand it, and a trick becomes the application of a concept if you understand its origin.

Only through persistent questioning do you not only arrive at the correct approach to acing GMAT but also build the right mindset to succeed in MBA and beyond.

My articles:
Detailed Solutions to all SC questions in OG 2019, OG 2018,and OG 2017
My experience with GMAT (Score 780) and My analysis of my ESR
Three pillars of a successful GMAT strategy
Critical Reasoning and The Life of a GMAT Student
The 'Although' Misconception
Dear GMAT Aspirant, You need not swim against the tide

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 19:36
Top Contributor
The uniqueness that you can expect from me when you come to me for GMAT preparation is not about unique strategies or techniques. While you may be looking for shortcuts or quick-fix techniques, you might have already realized that such a pursuit cannot produce consistent results. A test built to test your skills, if worth its salt, cannot be consistently aced through shortcuts and techniques.

The uniqueness that you can expect from me is that I share common sense, not techniques, and also share the tools that I have used to build that common sense. I also deemphasize any sense of born-genius you may have about me or others; I readily accept that you can become like me or surpass me through efforts. In that way, I empower you. I also readily accept that my genius is very limited to the skills tested on the GMAT and that you may have a lot of other skills that I lack severely. In that way, I encourage you to dissociate your worth from your performance on GMAT. With that mindset, you can probably focus more on building skills patiently than on worrying about losing again and feeling a doubt on your worth or overall capability.

My articles:

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 16:34
Top Contributor
Who is at fault?

The person who led but was wrong OR the person who followed and thus went astray.

I recently met a student who had been preparing for GMAT for six months but hadn’t scored above 600 in his two attempts. It was clear from the discussion of a question that he didn’t have the concepts in place to ace the test. His preparation so far had been focused on tricks and superficial understanding. And in these 6 months, he hadn’t taken any official mock since he had been advised by his GMAT prep institute against taking official mocks.

I asked him why he didn’t question the faculty on such advice (and, I should also have asked, on their teaching methods based on tricks and superficial knowledge). He said that he couldn’t challenge the faculty.

Now, he is staring at the loss of a year as the deadlines for his target b-schools are almost over.

Probably, the fault is of both the student and the institute. However, blaming others won’t help. So, the key learning can be that the student should have questioned the institute.

When you question and use your mind, you may make mistakes, but you will learn from those mistakes and improve. If you don’t use your mind and just accept what others say, you will keep going astray, and your life will be beyond your control.

My articles:

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 18:47
Top Contributor
It took me 7 days of preparation to score GMAT 770, and it took me 7 years of practice after college to reach a level of fluency in spoken English that many people enter college with.

So, am I a super-intelligent guy who could score 770 with such ease? or am I a dumb guy who took 7 years to achieve what people already have right after school?

Given where I stand now, many people won’t believe that I had poor spoken English for such a long time. But trust me I had. Rather, my spoken English was so broken that I was rejected by all IIMs that had Group Discussions (that means all IIMs except IIMA, which decided to replace GDs with essays that year :)). The reason for rejection was quite clear: I just wouldn’t speak anything in the GDs. Why? Because by the time I would form a sentence in my mind, the discussion had moved forward. Hindi to English translation took time ?

So. who am I of these two guys? Clearly, either I am both or I am neither.

I believe I am neither super-intelligent nor dumb. I am who I am ?

I am just a work-in-progress and so is everybody else. We don’t need to identify ourselves with our successes or failures. Both of these will always be there. We just need to strive. With diligence and faith. And when we do so, our successes will eclipse our failures!

My articles:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Mindset and Strategy - Chiranjeev's Posts   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2019, 18:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

GMAT Mindset and Strategy - Chiranjeev's Posts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap