GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 02:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Mindset and Strategy - Chiranjeev's Posts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Premium Member
GMAT Mindset and Strategy - Chiranjeev's Posts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 23:30
Top Contributor
Hello All,

For quite some time, I have been posting on Linkedin posts related to GMAT Strategy and Mindset. Given the popularity of and positive response to those posts, I am creating this thread here to share the posts with the GMAT Club community. I hope they help some of the students.

Here's the first post that I posted some time ago on my Linkedin wall:

-------------------------------------

‘If you want to draw water, you do not dig a hundred one-foot wells. You dig one hundred-feet well’, I have heard.

In the context of learning or more specifically GMAT, if you want to reach your target score, you don’t solve thousands of questions superficially; you solve a few hundred questions with clarity on each and every aspect of the question and the options.

In both the cases, you’ll work hard.

However, one hard work will lead you to your target score and the other nowhere.

---------------------------------------

My articles:
My experience with GMAT (Score 780) and My analysis of my ESR
Three pillars of a successful GMAT strategy
Critical Reasoning and The Life of a GMAT Student
The 'Although' Misconception
Dear GMAT Aspirant, You need not swim against the tide

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Oct 2018, 12:13
Top Contributor

How many questions do you need to practice in your GMAT preparation?

First, we need to understand that practicing questions is not an end in itself. The end result is learning; practicing questions is just a means to learn.

I believe the following equation holds:

Learning = No. of questions * Learning per question

Given this equation, we can see that the number of questions you need to do depends on two factors: the amount of learning you need to get to reach your goal and the amount of learning you get from each question.

Clearly, if you are not thoroughly analyzing each question, especially a question in which you are not sure or which you could not mark correctly, your learning per question is not high. Thus, you’ll need many more questions to practice than another person who is learning a lot from every question.

In my experience, I have come across many aspirants who are hardly spending the time to analyze the reasoning behind every option in a question. Such aspirants end up doing thousands of questions without any tangible improvement in their scores. Don’t be one of them! Don’t run after quantity (the number of questions you do)! Run after quality (the learning you get from questions)!

My articles:

Originally posted by ChiranjeevSingh on 04 Oct 2018, 23:32.
Last edited by bb on 05 Oct 2018, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Formatting
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 12:30
Thanks for starting this Strategy Topic Chiranjeev!

I wholeheartedly agree with your point - the key to a high GMAT Score is not solving thousands or tens of thousands of questions.

• In General, questions are for testing. They are a feedback mechanism.
  • I absolutely agree that you NEED to be FAMILIAR with each question type but that should not take more than 20 questions per se
  • Most of your learning will come from books/materials/courses/etc
  • Something you CAN learn from questions is TRAPS and TRICKS. You won't learn that from books, so it is important to cover these tricks/traps questions and identify them in PS/DS/SC/CR for YOURSELF

I have personally only had access to perhaps a few hundred questions and about 10 CATs (I took the last GMAT Prep the night before the test and I have not started taking CAT's until AFTER I finished my Quant prep, and even then I only took just the QUANT portion of my CAT's). Then when I finished Verbal, I started Taking Verbal CAT's and FULL CAT's. Since I split my prep into Quant and Verbal, it was important for me to stay fresh with Quant and taking Quant CATs was the way I did it.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 20:08
Top Contributor

Impatience gets you fast… to nowhere!

This is a time when a lot of GMAT aspirants feel impatient as B-School deadlines approach. No matter where they are their GMAT journey, they want to wrap GMAT up in a month or two. However, very consistently, this impatience makes them engage in counter-productive behaviors, such as not spending enough time thoroughly analyzing their mistakes or taking mocks too frequently, that elongate their GMAT journey.

There is a famous quote that says: Infinite patience produces immediate results.

Probably, one learning from this quote is that the more patient you are, the less you’ll focus on the end result and thus the more you’ll focus on the process. Such a mindset will help you learn faster and thus achieve your target sooner.

So, GMAT aspirants, take a deep breath and hold your nerves for some more time. Focus on giving your best and let the result take care of itself.

My articles:

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member
Re: GMAT Mindset and Strategy - Chiranjeev's Posts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 04:37
Top Contributor
Everybody wants success in something, whether it’s in work, love, play, finances, family, or an inner struggle. But success doesn’t come instantly. Life has a process of rejecting you to test you and prepare you to win.

Steve Harvey lived in his Ford Tempo and showered in gas stations when he couldn’t get enough comedy gigs to cover his rent. Halle Berry slept in a homeless shelter in New York when she was auditioning to become an actress. Even James Cameron, one of the richest directors in Hollywood, was reduced to living out of his car when he was trying to sell the screenplay for The Terminator. The list goes on and on.

How you handle rejection is very similar to how you’ll handle success. If you’re strong enough to handle rejection without taking it personally, without holding a grudge, and without losing your passion and drive, then you’ll be strong enough to reap the rewards. But if you’re too weak to handle failure and disappointment, then you’re too weak to handle success, which will only end up damaging your life and happiness.

– From the book ‘I Can’t Make This Up: Life Lessons’ by Kevin Hart

My articles:

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 19:52
Top Contributor

“GMAT preparation is not a sprint; it’s a marathon.”

This is what I told my Chinese student who was trying to cover too much too soon. There is a difference between giving your best and burning yourself out for the fear of missing out. I could sense she was beginning to fall in the later set out of stress that she wouldn’t be able to meet her deadlines.

The reality is that we cannot completely control the time we’re going to take to get our target score. The best thing that we can do to reach our target score faster is to give our best every day. However, if we stretch ourselves beyond a point, we’re going to burn out and will not have the energy to last the marathon.

Probably, we don’t need to make everything in life into a life-and-death scenario. We need to relax ourselves a bit. And the good thing is that when we are relaxed, we learn more and faster.

My articles:

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 19:09
Top Contributor
One of my friends got a GMAT 540 after months of preparation but then made an improvement to GMAT 710 in 3 months. I asked him what made this significant jump possible. Below are his words:

‘Simply put, the moment I strayed away from the “score” and started focusing on the “improvement”, the results came.’

My articles:

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 19:49
ChiranjeevSingh wrote:

“GMAT preparation is not a sprint; it’s a marathon.”

This is what I told my Chinese student who was trying to cover too much too soon. There is a difference between giving your best and burning yourself out for the fear of missing out. I could sense she was beginning to fall in the later set out of stress that she wouldn’t be able to meet her deadlines.

The reality is that we cannot completely control the time we’re going to take to get our target score. The best thing that we can do to reach our target score faster is to give our best every day. However, if we stretch ourselves beyond a point, we’re going to burn out and will not have the energy to last the marathon.

Probably, we don’t need to make everything in life into a life-and-death scenario. We need to relax ourselves a bit. And the good thing is that when we are relaxed, we learn more and faster.

Hi Sir, your posts are very informative and helpful.please suggest how to prepare for CR?while solving 600 level questions,i don't face much problem.accuracy is also 85 to 90%.but in 700 level questions accuracy goes down.sir please suggest how to cope up with this problem?

Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 02:44
Top Contributor
sonusaini1 wrote:

Hi Sir, your posts are very informative and helpful.please suggest how to prepare for CR?while solving 600 level questions,i don't face much problem.accuracy is also 85 to 90%.but in 700 level questions accuracy goes down.sir please suggest how to cope up with this problem?

The questions you have asked in a very apt and a very commonly asked one. I believe it deserves a separate article. I'll write an article on it as soon as I find the time. However, I'll address the question briefly here.

We have to understand that:

1. CR, or rather GMAT, is a test of certain skills. It is not a test of question types.
2. CR tests two specific skills: your ability to understand statements precisely and your ability to critically reason.

Now, to consistently do better on CR, you need to build those skills. How do you build those skills?

1. By trying to understand each statement precisely in a CR question. A precise understanding of a statement means that you know 'exactly' what the statement means and what it does not mean. From my experience, I understand that the lack of this skill is the most common problem.
2. By trying to understand 'exactly' why each option is correct and why each option is incorrect. Whatever reasoning you read for an option, don't accept it. Evaluate it! See if the similar reasoning will hold in a similar argument. Try to create analogies - similar and simpler arguments. Also, play with the options. See if you change certain words, does the incorrect option become correct? or if you change certain words, does the correct option become incorrect?
3. By trying to build your skills through non-GMAT material. You need not build your skills only through practicing CR or GMAT questions. Try to be precise and critically evaluate everything you read. Once you make these skills a part of your daily life, your skills will improve way faster than if you limit their application to just GMAT questions.

Hope it helps!

- CJ

My articles:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Mindset and Strategy - Chiranjeev's Posts &nbs [#permalink] 18 Oct 2018, 02:44

GMAT Mindset and Strategy - Chiranjeev's Posts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap