Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT taken in December, don't see it getting into top School ANYMORE!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Michele,

I couldn't find any old posts of yours from last year. Were you posting under a different account?

With the Schools that you named, you'll almost certainly need to score in the high 600s or 700s to be competitive, so you'll have to make some BIG improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Since your prior studies weren't able to get you to that score level, you'll likely have to invest in some new resources (and likely a GMAT Course of some type - either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Using this 430 as a gauge, you'll also likely need to spend at least another 3 months on the overall study process.

Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional question, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Re: GMAT taken in December, don't see it getting into top School ANYMORE!! [#permalink]
I honestly can't tell if this is a troll thread or not. It sounds like you haven't performed the background preliminary search for mba schools that people typically do before even studying for the GMAT. You mention repeatedly how motivated and determined you are and how badly you want it but something doesn't add up based on your test score. You need to research the schools and figure out what is required to be a competitive applicant and then use your determination and motivation to meet those requirements and then proceed to the application stage. In your practice tests you need to be getting almost all of the questions right before writing the real gmat. Good luck and stay motivated!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
WayneHam wrote:
I honestly can't tell if this is a troll thread or not.

i laughed when she said she applied to harvard and darden
Intern
Intern
Send PM
absauce wrote:
WayneHam wrote:

You know absauce, it might be better to leave your comments inside your brain. If you haven't figured it out yet this is a serious situation for me and yes you might laugh at me for applying with such low scores. But even worse is your comment. Have some respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
you know in a country like USA they predict everything is possible at all times. They say people even get accepted into harvard with as low scores as 500s. You know, maybe they just want to collect application fees, maybe they think they wanna interview the candidate because he has an overall interesting profile. I really don't know what to think of these business schools, since what you read out there ranges from left to right through the whole spectrum.
Since one thing is for sure, business schools in the USA are cash cows(you never know exactly what to believe and where you stand until you might actually receive an interview call from one of them), I simply would like to understand whether it's even worth it doing an MBA because costs are so freakin insane.
But yeah a comment like the one from absauce definitely seems more ignorant than informative since this is supposed to be a discussion and supportive forum and not so much a destructive thing. Thanks for listening!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q41 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Yes I thought the comment was a little "rude" too ... that's something one can think to themselves about someone but probably shouldn't post in a forum where people are seeking answers and support.
I probably would have never applied to a top school with a score as low as yours, but sometimes people just need to go for things just to do them even if the chances of getting what you want are low. I, for example, play the lottery almost every week although the chances of hitting the jackpot are ridiculously low. I don't think anyone would laugh about that (unless I spent my whole pay check on it) because lots of people do it ... hoping for that minimal chance to work in their favor. So don't let absauce's comment bother you. It was just a thoughtless comment ... :roll:

About your GMAT experience/prep .... honestly??? One month of preparation time is NOTHING like others here have told you. Not even if you studied full time for the entire month which I think is a bad strategy anyway to spend 40 hours or more a week studying.
You need more time and maybe enroll in an online course. There are a couple of inexpensive courses out there which are pretty decent. Plus many take the GMAT more than once. You could have just had a bad day.
I took it once with only self preparation and scored a 560. I was thrilled about my score because my practice exams had indicated an even much lower score. I know everyone else here would have thrown themselves in front of a train or under a bus with such a low score but I was really happy back then because the score was good enough for what I needed it for. (to get into the business school of my choice which of course was NOT a top ten school) So what? I don't need a 800 score for my ego ... I just need a score that is good enough for what I have planned.
So yes, if you want to get into Harvard.... you most likely need a score higher than the one you got.
Don't give up yet and keep studying!

fasfiidy wrote:
absauce wrote:
WayneHam wrote:

You know absauce, it might be better to leave your comments inside your brain. If you haven't figured it out yet this is a serious situation for me and yes you might laugh at me for applying with such low scores. But even worse is your comment. Have some respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Quite a strange post, I agree with comments above.

GMAT is tough, but I'm sure any educated person in the world can hit 600s.

What would I do:

1) Math. Identify your weak areas, what do you know, what you don't know. Then just study it, the math in GMAT is simple, it's all about timing and logic. If you just do know nothing in math, then you need to take a private course on math (not necessarily with expensive tutors from Manhattan or Kaplan), but just with a whatever tutor who can explain you the basics

2) Verbal. Really, I just don't understand how on earth it is possible score below V30 for a native speaker. Just try to understand what are your weak areas and master it. Verbal is piece of a cake if you speak decent english.

3) General advise. Saying "how badly you want it" will not get you to any school and seems more like a joke or trolling. There is clear plan. Identify your weak areas --> Master it --> Pass GMAT --> Welcome to MBA. No other ways are possible.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
fasfiidy wrote:
you know in a country like USA they predict everything is possible at all times. They say people even get accepted into harvard with as low scores as 500s. You know, maybe they just want to collect application fees, maybe they think they wanna interview the candidate because he has an overall interesting profile. I really don't know what to think of these business schools, since what you read out there ranges from left to right through the whole spectrum.
Since one thing is for sure, business schools in the USA are cash cows(you never know exactly what to believe and where you stand until you might actually receive an interview call from one of them), I simply would like to understand whether it's even worth it doing an MBA because costs are so freakin insane.
But yeah a comment like the one from absauce definitely seems more ignorant than informative since this is supposed to be a discussion and supportive forum and not so much a destructive thing. Thanks for listening!!!!

i wouldnt take what i say to heart
i legitimately thought you were trolling and im sure WayneHam thought the same

but now that i know you are serious all the best with your application as for advice the rest of the posters have provided great ones
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts