Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT - target score 550 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi lpir,

The average Score on the GMAT hovers around 550 most years, so many GMATers don't hit this level when they take the Official Exam. That having been said, to earn this type of Score, you do NOT need to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird, but you have to keep the little mistakes to a minimum on everything else. While the IR and AWA sections have NO impact on your score out of 800, you shouldn't be thinking in terms of 'skipping them' on the Official GMAT - since while the School that you plan to apply to might not care about your IR and AWA Scores, the School might care that you actually took the FULL GMAT.

There are a variety of different Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores that will lead to a 550 (meaning that you could earn this type of Score with a higher Verbal performance and a lower Quant one), but you might want to see if the Program that you're interested in has any 'minimum requirements' for either section.

Based on your initial post, it's not clear if you have taken any practice CATs/mocks yet. If you have not, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test sometime soon. You can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have that Score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how you might best continue your studies going forward.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What study materials are you currently using?
2) Are you planning to apply to School sometime soon? If so, then what application deadlines are you facing?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT - target score 550 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi lpir,

I see you have a number of questions related to your GMAT; however, I think the first thing you need to do is spend some time familiarizing yourself with the GMAT and then take a full-length MBA.com practice exam, so you can get a baseline score. Once complete, please report back with your score breakdown, and I can provide some further advice. In the meantime, here are a few helpful articles:

What is the GMAT Format?

What Does GMAT Stand For?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you everyone for your replies!

I had purchased the 2021 Official Guide, along with the Math and Verbal Review books. I went through all the theoretical info for the exam and completed almost all the practice questions in the OG.

I haven't however completed a full-length practice exam - something that, judging from your replies, I should do asap. Once I do, I'll share my score here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, everyone!

So I took a practice full-length exam and scored Q22 and V37, which is not the perfect score but I hope to improve.
I have two questions:

1. Is the Total score at the end for all the sections or for the IG and AW as well? I scored 500 and can't understand if this is for Verbal and Quantative only.
2. I need to improve my score with 50 points. Do you think this is achievable for 40 days? Do you have any tips?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi lpir,

A 500 is a solid initial CAT Score (the average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). IR and AWA sections have NO impact on your score out of 800 (those two sections have their own separate Scores - out of 8 and 6, respectively).

With a Score Goal of 550+, you do NOT need to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird, so raising this 500 to a 550 in 40 days is an absolutely achievable goal.

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
As everyone can see from this topic, my initial mock exam's result was 500 - Q22, V37.
I have always been extremely bad at Maths and the whole idea of having to study it 5 years after graduating high school was terrifying to me. And my score above serves as a proof for that. I subscribed to TargetTestPrep and what I loved about it is that it allows you to choose the score you're aiming at and not overwhelm you with 700+ questions that you won't even need. I had a very clear goal of 550 and I knew I don't need Q45 or so to achieve it. It is also extremely affordable compared to the other courses out there. These are my results from the mock exams I had taken after subscribing for TargetTestPrep:

Gmat Practice exam 1: 520, Q30, V32
Gmat Practice exam 2: 620, Q36, V39
Gmat Practice exam 3: 620, Q38, V38
Gmat Practice exam 4: 700, Q47, V38
Kaplan Practice exam: 650, Q41, V38

On my official GMAT, which I took on January 3rd, I got 610, Q37, V36 - I would have probably got even more if I wasn't so stressed out. Nonetheless, this score is more than sufficient for the university I'm applying for.
GMAT Club Bot