Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Sure nervous. Your call.

I am all for open-minded discussions as long as everyone maintains a modicum of respect to others on the board.

P.S: We missed you in our chat session yesterday. You would have contributed to the diversity :-)

:) didn't log in last night, prasad

Going back to the original topic of discussion, I also received an e-mail from Stanford. I am sure this is completely unrelated to my GMAT score though :)

Originally posted by nervousgmat on 08 Sep 2007, 21:30.
Last edited by nervousgmat on 08 Sep 2007, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
anonymousegmat and dabots, you guys do know that river is white (And perhaps American), right???

Originally posted by mNeo on 08 Sep 2007, 21:33.
Last edited by mNeo on 08 Sep 2007, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
I always struggle with the notion of all of you having a little more fun and yet not unnecessarily hurting anyone's feelings. This is a little unfortunate. There was almost an exactly similar situation last year. In that instance, the author was clearly being self-deprecating, but not everyone saw that. This is similar to the reaction her post received.

anonymousegmat was clearly offended and so were some others. I completely understand, but I wish anonymousegmat could have used a little restraint.

Just a reminder to all of us to be nice and respectful of others.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey I love NASCAR, beer and jeeps. I didnt find anything offensive with that picture, coz I do that all the time (and I am an Indian). Or maybe my sense of humor is different.

Everyone likes (subconsciously) a bit of stereotypical fun poking (else Borat would not have been popular) and I sure river meant to do that in a harmless way.
Hes just trying to put some humor here that unfortunately didnt go down well with some forum members here.

No sweat.. I like all countries, and especially the women of all countries.. men I don't care.. you can all go down killing and choking each other's throats and kick each other out of countries as long as you leave the women for me.
I discriminate - only when I cannot choose which woman to run after :wink:
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Why do all of aviroop's posts begin with a slight variation of, "I just lovvvvve women!!" :lol:
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
Why do all of aviroop's posts begin with a slight variation of, "I just lovvvvve women!!" :lol:

That's because he isn't getting anyone in LA.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:

ouch, snap! ;)

But honestly, I think anonymous and others mis-read river's post, or thought river was indian or a foreigner and was actually attacking American culture instead of being self-deprecating. You can tell by anon's reference to people like river saying "I never understood why people migrate to other countries to gripe and whine about their culture."

maybe one should note that they're using self-deprecating humor when they post something like that? I mean, it's going overboard, but it definitely avoids misunderstandings like this. Then again, you have aviroop and other indians who talk about biryani's stinking and other self-deprecating indian jokes, and that never causes a problem. ;)

I personally laughed my head off reading river's post, but that's probably because I know he's as "American" as you can get. If we start forbidding people to post self-deprecating humor on here, it'll definitely take away from the "fun-ness" of this forum.

And Praet is right, anon didn't need to react in the way he did. A polite "I found the post to be offensive because A, B, and C. Please do not post such stereotypical things in the future, thank you" would have been enough.

I hope this doesn't happen again, because I'd hate to see good cultural "jokes" go away, since I view it as a great part of living in a diverse world. I make jokes about Chinese people storing ketchup packets and turning off the AC on hot days to save money all the time ;) (oh yeah, btw, I'm Chinese American, so it's self-deprecating humor :P)
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak,

Nice post. Now, if only you spent the time you did on drafting it on your essays, you could sneak in Kellogg for R1.

More abusive humour :-)

On that note, here's a reminder to everyone else about forum etiquette.

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t42290
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
haha, it could still happen nc (Kellogg that is)... my essay writing method is to just think about it for days on end, and then barf it out all in a few hours... Whether it's good or not will determine how long it takes me to revise and edit.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
mNeo wrote:

Now now as we say in India..why kick the stomach of the poor.
Ncprasad.. The women in LA.. (a large majority) are really obnoxious.. I have to go to great depths to get a date..everyone measures you by how much you can spend on them.. from minute 1...sad..very sad..

That being said..I love the US.. nothing compares to it.. Which other country in the world makes fun of itself.. I made fun of people in Germany.. and believe me..I almost got hauled to the police station.

Its the self deprecating humor that I really enjoy on this forum.. People are smart here and knowledgable. I may not have met any of you in person, but you guys are a hoot!!!!
NervousGmat.. u need to join our chats.. we need some diversity..

kryzak.. why do chinese/taiwanese women only dance with the same ethnic men in clubs. There should be a law that chinese women should dance with indian men..its bolsters national solidarity and fosters friendship :wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
mNeo wrote:

Now now as we say in India..why kick the stomach of the poor.
Ncprasad.. The women in LA.. (a large majority) are really obnoxious.. I have to go to great depths to get a date..everyone measures you by how much you can spend on them.. from minute 1...sad..very sad..

That being said..I love the US.. nothing compares to it.. Which other country in the world makes fun of itself.. I made fun of people in Germany.. and believe me..I almost got hauled to the police station.

Its the self deprecating humor that I really enjoy on this forum.. People are smart here and knowledgable. I may not have met any of you in person, but you guys are a hoot!!!!
NervousGmat.. u need to join our chats.. we need some diversity..

kryzak.. why do chinese/taiwanese women only dance with the same ethnic men in clubs. There should be a law that chinese women should dance with indian men..its bolsters national solidarity and fosters friendship :wink:

I can sooo totally see Avi waiting for that 1st year spring break.....Cmon Avi - out with the truth. You're going to B-school for a retaste of spring break right?!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ahh those glory days.. sniff sniff.. how can I forget the memorable events at Myrtle beach, SC and Los Cabos Mexico....

I went with 5 sorority girls to these places.. Fun times indeed!!!!

I wish B-school allows the spring break to be what it is.. a spring break
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, sorry, I was kidding with my post. I am a Caucasian American male, born and raised in New England. My post was a lampoon of how a lot of people in the world see Americans.

Honestly I don't find what I said all that offensive since if you watch TV or movies its always on there. Also that pretty much is half the guys I work with, except replace the Jeep with F-250 trucks. I guess I have be desensitized to it since American's love to portray themselves in this light for their own amusement. Heck, our President is a prime example of the stereotypical "American." My portrayal was basically something straight off the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, which is incredibly popular here.

By the way, I am watching the New England Patriots game as I type this and I am a die-hard Red Sox fan. Though I don't drink beer and hate Nascar (I prefer rally racing), I still basically fit my own description.

Didn't mean to offend anyone with my post...to those who were offended, please accept my sincerest apologizes.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
river,
no need to apologise.. you posted some thoughts that clearly were meant to bring humor and nothing more.

If someone gets offended by self-deprecating posts without knowing about the background of the poster.. it cant be helped....
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Okay, back to topic! I got another email from BU. I must say that BU seems to be a great option for anybody who is finding it difficult to finance an MBA. Average award of 20K is huge!! From the email:

Scholarships - Average Award Increases to more than $20,000

Our merit-based scholarship programs, available to US and international students, help us attract the highest quality applicants for our Full-time MBA programs. The average scholarship for the Fall 2007 entering class was more than $20,000 per year.

Take a look at our scholarship programs:

* Dean's Scholarship - valued up to $35,000 per year
* LEAD Fellowship - valued up to $25,000 per year
* Public & Nonprofit Supplemental Scholarship - valued up to $15,000 per year
* MS-MBA Summer Scholarship - valued up to $10,000
* BUILDE Fellowship - valued up to $4,000
* NSHMBA Scholarship (Hispanic MBA students) - valued up to $35,000 per year
* FUNED Scholarship (Mexican Nationals) - valued up to $35,000 per year
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Clearly.. I am an undesirable for BU as I have not been tempted with any such offers.

mNeo - you going for the MBA fair
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
Okay, back to topic! I got another email from BU. I must say that BU seems to be a great option for anybody who is finding it difficult to finance an MBA. Average award of 20K is huge!! From the email:

Through a coworker I could actually get in contact with the president of the MBA student council (or whatever they call it there). Unfortunately, I want to live on the West coast after graduation, and I don't know how well Boston U "travels."
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7