GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

GMATPREP ChallengeQ -After the Second World War, unionism in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ -After the Second World War, unionism in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 10:40
manishkhare wrote:
Gaurav2690,
SC has been my weakness. I am comfortable with RC and CR.

can you please help us by sharing your RC strategies such as how to approach the first read and then the follow up questions
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 04:51
Hi GMATNinja

For the 4th Question, the passage states : "Because the "OH! NO!" system continually pushed the production process to the verge of breakdown in an effort to find the minimum resource requirement”

From this I understand that the production process was always made to work on minimum resources/ requirement i.e. the minimum effort required to continue production. Hence I chose option B - but B also mentions “automobiles” and the OH!NO! statement in the passage doesn’t mention automobiles specifically. Is this why B is wrong? I didn’t consider C because I believed 'OH! NO!’ brought down resource requirement and not production costs.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 10:46
Quote:
4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage sees which of the following as the primary advantage to companies in implementing the "OH! NO!" system?

DogGoesWoof wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

For the 4th Question, the passage states : "Because the "OH! NO!" system continually pushed the production process to the verge of breakdown in an effort to find the minimum resource requirement”

From this I understand that the production process was always made to work on minimum resources/ requirement i.e. the minimum effort required to continue production. Hence I chose option B - but B also mentions “automobiles” and the OH!NO! statement in the passage doesn’t mention automobiles specifically. Is this why B is wrong? I didn’t consider C because I believed 'OH! NO!’ brought down resource requirement and not production costs.

The key to distinguishing between these two choices is the meaning of these words:

• Resource, especially in a business management context, commonly means money to be spent.
  • Cost commonly means an amount of money to be spent.
  • Effort is not a synonym for money, cost, or resources. It most commonly refers to work being put in by people.

When describing the "OH! NO!" system in paragraph 2, the author describes how Ohno continuously denied managers "the resources needed for production," all "in an effort to find the minimum resource requirement." Since the system's objective is to minimize the resources required for production, we infer that the primary advantage to companies is the same: production at the lowest possible level of resources.

Quote:
B. It minimized the effort required to produce automobiles.

Under the "OH! NO!" system, a.k.a. "management by stress," the resources provided to department managers repeatedly shrank, until the production process was at the verge of breakdown. The author even tells us that the range of responsibilities given to Japanese workers was "far wider than their span of control." Under such a system, we can infer that workers would be expending more effort in order to make up for their minimized level of resources. This is why Choice (B) is wrong. It doesn't match the picture of a high-stress, low-resource environment presented by the author.

Quote:
C. It ensured that production costs would be as low as possible.

Choice (C) doesn't use the phrase "production resources." However, since we know that "resource" acts as a synonym for "money," the two phrases are basically interchangeable in this context. We keep (C) because the "OH! NO!" system was designed to find the minimum resource requirement for production (i.e. the lowest production cost).

And man, this question makes me want to crack awful Dad jokes. Bad example: I hope this explanation makes you go "OH! YEAH!"

Ugh, that was awful. Can I give myself negative kudos? :suspect

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 11:53
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage sees which of the following as the primary advantage to companies in implementing the "OH! NO!" system?

DogGoesWoof wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

The key to distinguishing between these two choices is the meaning of these words:

• Resource, especially in a business management context, commonly means money to be spent.
  • Cost commonly means an amount of money to be spent.
  • Effort is not a synonym for money, cost, or resources. It most commonly refers to work being put in by people.

When describing the "OH! NO!" system in paragraph 2, the author describes how Ohno continuously denied managers "the resources needed for production," all "in an effort to find the minimum resource requirement." Since the system's objective is to minimize the resources required for production, we infer that the primary advantage to companies is the same: production at the lowest possible level of resources.

Quote:
B. It minimized the effort required to produce automobiles.

Under the "OH! NO!" system, a.k.a. "management by stress," the resources provided to department managers repeatedly shrank, until the production process was at the verge of breakdown. The author even tells us that the range of responsibilities given to Japanese workers was "far wider than their span of control." Under such a system, we can infer that workers would be expending more effort in order to make up for their minimized level of resources. This is why Choice (B) is wrong. It doesn't match the picture of a high-stress, low-resource environment presented by the author.

Quote:
C. It ensured that production costs would be as low as possible.

Choice (C) doesn't use the phrase "production resources." However, since we know that "resource" acts as a synonym for "money," the two phrases are basically interchangeable in this context. We keep (C) because the "OH! NO!" system was designed to find the minimum resource requirement for production (i.e. the lowest production cost).

And man, this question makes me want to crack awful Dad jokes. Bad example: I hope this explanation makes you go "OH! YEAH!"

Ugh, that was awful. Can I give myself negative kudos? :suspect

Too late, I already gave you a positive kudos :D
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 05:09
Can someone help me with primary purpose question? I chose D over B? I am not able to figure why B is the answer...
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 06:59
mihirbhalla wrote:
Can someone help me with primary purpose question? I chose D over B? I am not able to figure why B is the answer...

mihirbhalla

In the first paragraph, the author introduces "unionism" in Japan, the role of unionism in companies, the internal workings of unionism and compares it with the unionism in United States.

In the second paragraph, the author talks about the effects of unionism on workers, foremen and how the management took advantage of unionism to squeeze worker productivity etc.

The above stated summary matches with primary purpose as stated in option B

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

B-School app with GRE

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 23:19
11'18'', 3 between B and C
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 01:05
7:44
BAEC
Got 3rd one wrong. It was way too specific I felt.
Could have devoted a minute more on that question maybe.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ -After the Second World War, unionism in &nbs [#permalink] 24 Oct 2018, 01:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

GMATPREP ChallengeQ -After the Second World War, unionism in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap