GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 15:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Goizueta with scholarship or wait an year

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2017
Posts: 4
Goizueta with scholarship or wait an year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 07:50
Greetings!

I recently received an admit from Goizueta with 60% scholarship. I'm an Indian male candidate with a little less than 2.5 years of experience in tech consulting and come from the most represented demographic for B-School admissions. I have a 760 on the GMAT. My goal is to transition to product management in Tech giants such Amazon/MSFT/Google.

Because of serious illnesses this year, I'm not at the best of my health and doubt that I'd be able to recover fully to perform to the best of my potential if I join a B-school in US next year. I also feel that I'd need to struggle harder than others for internships and recruitment because I'd have less work experience compared to the average, and I might not be able to do the same as I would not be at my 100%. Plus International candidates have to struggle harder anyway as they require H1B sponsorship so I want to join a B-school when I'm fully ready.

The scholarship at Goizueta is very enticing as I would certainly not be able to go to a US B-school without such a scholarship. However, I'm also slightly concerned that Goizueta is not a good fit for my goals of product management in tech (Although just Amazon recruits there). One of the options I am considering is to wait an year and apply to a school such as Foster which places better in tech Product Management. (I doubt that I can pull a decent app for Foster in R2 or have a decent shot now due to less work experience. 2019 intake is preferable to me anyhow as it will also buy me time to become prepared for the demands of a B-school).

I'm looking for advice, suggestions or any inputs on whether it makes sense to let go of Goizueta which probably might be my only chance ever of attending a good B-school for the reason that I don't feel ready for the B-school journey.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration!
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1367
Re: Goizueta with scholarship or wait an year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 22:02
YoungIndian wrote:
Greetings!

I recently received an admit from Goizueta with 60% scholarship. I'm an Indian male candidate with a little less than 2.5 years of experience in tech consulting and come from the most represented demographic for B-School admissions. I have a 760 on the GMAT. My goal is to transition to product management in Tech giants such Amazon/MSFT/Google.

Because of serious illnesses this year, I'm not at the best of my health and doubt that I'd be able to recover fully to perform to the best of my potential if I join a B-school in US next year. I also feel that I'd need to struggle harder than others for internships and recruitment because I'd have less work experience compared to the average, and I might not be able to do the same as I would not be at my 100%. Plus International candidates have to struggle harder anyway as they require H1B sponsorship so I want to join a B-school when I'm fully ready.

The scholarship at Goizueta is very enticing as I would certainly not be able to go to a US B-school without such a scholarship. However, I'm also slightly concerned that Goizueta is not a good fit for my goals of product management in tech (Although just Amazon recruits there). One of the options I am considering is to wait an year and apply to a school such as Foster which places better in tech Product Management. (I doubt that I can pull a decent app for Foster in R2 or have a decent shot now due to less work experience. 2019 intake is preferable to me anyhow as it will also buy me time to become prepared for the demands of a B-school).

I'm looking for advice, suggestions or any inputs on whether it makes sense to let go of Goizueta which probably might be my only chance ever of attending a good B-school for the reason that I don't feel ready for the B-school journey.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration!



You pretty much know the answer already. If you enter the program half-heartedly, you will likely not reap the best out of it. You should ask them for a deferral for year. Meanwhile you could apply to other MBAs next year and decide based upon the offers you have then.

If you could get admission this year with 2.5 years of work experience, then you should be able to secure admission again next year, with one year's added work experience (and hopefully better overall profile).
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Admission Consultant
User avatar
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1461
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Goizueta with scholarship or wait an year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 07:06
YoungIndian wrote:
Greetings!

I recently received an admit from Goizueta with 60% scholarship. I'm an Indian male candidate with a little less than 2.5 years of experience in tech consulting and come from the most represented demographic for B-School admissions. I have a 760 on the GMAT. My goal is to transition to product management in Tech giants such Amazon/MSFT/Google.

Because of serious illnesses this year, I'm not at the best of my health and doubt that I'd be able to recover fully to perform to the best of my potential if I join a B-school in US next year. I also feel that I'd need to struggle harder than others for internships and recruitment because I'd have less work experience compared to the average, and I might not be able to do the same as I would not be at my 100%. Plus International candidates have to struggle harder anyway as they require H1B sponsorship so I want to join a B-school when I'm fully ready.

The scholarship at Goizueta is very enticing as I would certainly not be able to go to a US B-school without such a scholarship. However, I'm also slightly concerned that Goizueta is not a good fit for my goals of product management in tech (Although just Amazon recruits there). One of the options I am considering is to wait an year and apply to a school such as Foster which places better in tech Product Management. (I doubt that I can pull a decent app for Foster in R2 or have a decent shot now due to less work experience. 2019 intake is preferable to me anyhow as it will also buy me time to become prepared for the demands of a B-school).

I'm looking for advice, suggestions or any inputs on whether it makes sense to let go of Goizueta which probably might be my only chance ever of attending a good B-school for the reason that I don't feel ready for the B-school journey.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration!


Congrats on the admit and scholarship! I would love to help but I would really need to know a lot more information...

- Undergrad school and GPA
- Current company and role
- Experience applying to other schools so far

Since you are young, you can certainly apply again. Perhaps try to defer Emory if it is not a good personal time to study anyway. 2.5 yr is on the lower side so you would have a better chance recruiting for post-MBA roles if you had a bit more experience as well.

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Admissionado
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 5979
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Goizueta with scholarship or wait an year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 01:11
YoungIndian wrote:
Greetings!

I recently received an admit from Goizueta with 60% scholarship. I'm an Indian male candidate with a little less than 2.5 years of experience in tech consulting and come from the most represented demographic for B-School admissions. I have a 760 on the GMAT. My goal is to transition to product management in Tech giants such Amazon/MSFT/Google.

Because of serious illnesses this year, I'm not at the best of my health and doubt that I'd be able to recover fully to perform to the best of my potential if I join a B-school in US next year. I also feel that I'd need to struggle harder than others for internships and recruitment because I'd have less work experience compared to the average, and I might not be able to do the same as I would not be at my 100%. Plus International candidates have to struggle harder anyway as they require H1B sponsorship so I want to join a B-school when I'm fully ready.

The scholarship at Goizueta is very enticing as I would certainly not be able to go to a US B-school without such a scholarship. However, I'm also slightly concerned that Goizueta is not a good fit for my goals of product management in tech (Although just Amazon recruits there). One of the options I am considering is to wait an year and apply to a school such as Foster which places better in tech Product Management. (I doubt that I can pull a decent app for Foster in R2 or have a decent shot now due to less work experience. 2019 intake is preferable to me anyhow as it will also buy me time to become prepared for the demands of a B-school).

I'm looking for advice, suggestions or any inputs on whether it makes sense to let go of Goizueta which probably might be my only chance ever of attending a good B-school for the reason that I don't feel ready for the B-school journey.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration!


As the others mentioned, as I'm sure you are aware, with health issues you will have no problem deferring for a year. And in the meanwhile this will give you time to see what else you can do.

Best of luck!
and feel better,
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2017
Posts: 4
Re: Goizueta with scholarship or wait an year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 23:43
MBADecoder PersonalMBACoach JonAdmissionado
Thank you all so much! These replies are extremely helpful. :)

PersonalMBACoach
I should have thrown more light on my application experience this season in the original post. I applied to 3 US school - one 10-15th ranked school, Goizueta and Kelley. I did not receive an interview invitation from the top-15 school and got denied recently, but received admits from both Kelley (good scholarship and Graduate assistantship) and Goizueta as mentioned before.
Admission Consultant
User avatar
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1461
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Goizueta with scholarship or wait an year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 09:17
YoungIndian wrote:
MBADecoder PersonalMBACoach JonAdmissionado
Thank you all so much! These replies are extremely helpful. :)

PersonalMBACoach
I should have thrown more light on my application experience this season in the original post. I applied to 3 US school - one 10-15th ranked school, Goizueta and Kelley. I did not receive an interview invitation from the top-15 school and got denied recently, but received admits from both Kelley (good scholarship and Graduate assistantship) and Goizueta as mentioned before.


Understood. Thank you for the additional clarification. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Re: Goizueta with scholarship or wait an year &nbs [#permalink] 17 Dec 2017, 09:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Goizueta with scholarship or wait an year

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.