Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Send PM
Re: Good Enough for HBS 2+2? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey sheepykiyomi - sorry for the delay in replying, things are a little busy in Snarkville right now!! :-D

sheepykiyomi wrote:
Thank you for your reply EssaySnark. Why do you say Stanford maybe be harder?

Stanford is harder for everyone.

sheepykiyomi wrote:
I have also considered the Yale Silver Scholars program - but I am a little skeptical about going straight into my MBA. Even with the year of internship in the middle, I feel like I may have difficulties getting a really great job out of MBA because I will have so much less experience than my classmates. Also, I may "fit in" less with the class - which is a big thing I look for in a school.
The format with 2+2 and deferred at Stanford is different, but not so much that these issues are nonexistent with either of them. If you're worried about being too young or not being able to get a job due to lack of experience, those would be just as true with any of the schools we're discussing.

sheepykiyomi wrote:
Yale SOM does not do any info sessions in my city and I have missed their recent online admission webinars, and there isn't another one before the round 1 deadlines. I'm a little bit lost on learning more about Yale Silver Scholars. I have more questions and may consider applying but I don't know where to do. The website seems to have relatively minimum info (just one page). Do you have any suggestions on this?
Contact the school. They're happy to help with your questions, they're always the best resource.

sheepykiyomi wrote:
Also regarding the HBS essay. My main problem is that I don't know what I want to do in the future, and with that, I am kind of unsure how the MBA will fit into my career. I know I want an MBA because I want to be in that kind of environment where I can meet many motivated people and flourish and discuss new ideas ,etc ,etc. I don't know if Iwant to continue in healthcare post graduation... I am considering applying to a bunch of jobs in different fields and seeing what I get - how do I build this "unsureness / willing to explore anything attitude" into an essay that explains my desire to go to HBS?
You're going to have a tougher time pitching HBS for 2+2 if you don't know what you want to do, than if you went out into the workforce and then tried to get into Harvard through the standard MBA app later. We have a Career Goals App Accelerator which consists of a tutorial that explains what schools want to see in career goals, with guided exercises for how you can develop a good set of goals based on your current interests, with private, personalized feedback from EssaySnark on what you come up with. We don't usually recommend this for Harvard applicants because in general, Harvard isn't fixated on goals; they don't even have much in the way of questions around goals in the app. But it's a different reality for 2+2 applicants and you'll need to do more to show why the 2+2 path is right for you. So having some goals nailed down can help a lot in this case. They also matter for Stanford so you could benefit from going through that process with EssaySnark.

Hope that helps!!! Lots to think about, yes, but you're in a nice position based on what you've done to date.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
Hey sheepykiyomi - sorry for the delay in replying, things are a little busy in Snarkville right now!! :-D

sheepykiyomi wrote:
Thank you for your reply EssaySnark. Why do you say Stanford maybe be harder?

Stanford is harder for everyone.

sheepykiyomi wrote:
I have also considered the Yale Silver Scholars program - but I am a little skeptical about going straight into my MBA. Even with the year of internship in the middle, I feel like I may have difficulties getting a really great job out of MBA because I will have so much less experience than my classmates. Also, I may "fit in" less with the class - which is a big thing I look for in a school.
The format with 2+2 and deferred at Stanford is different, but not so much that these issues are nonexistent with either of them. If you're worried about being too young or not being able to get a job due to lack of experience, those would be just as true with any of the schools we're discussing.

sheepykiyomi wrote:
Yale SOM does not do any info sessions in my city and I have missed their recent online admission webinars, and there isn't another one before the round 1 deadlines. I'm a little bit lost on learning more about Yale Silver Scholars. I have more questions and may consider applying but I don't know where to do. The website seems to have relatively minimum info (just one page). Do you have any suggestions on this?
Contact the school. They're happy to help with your questions, they're always the best resource.

sheepykiyomi wrote:
Also regarding the HBS essay. My main problem is that I don't know what I want to do in the future, and with that, I am kind of unsure how the MBA will fit into my career. I know I want an MBA because I want to be in that kind of environment where I can meet many motivated people and flourish and discuss new ideas ,etc ,etc. I don't know if Iwant to continue in healthcare post graduation... I am considering applying to a bunch of jobs in different fields and seeing what I get - how do I build this "unsureness / willing to explore anything attitude" into an essay that explains my desire to go to HBS?
You're going to have a tougher time pitching HBS for 2+2 if you don't know what you want to do, than if you went out into the workforce and then tried to get into Harvard through the standard MBA app later. We have a Career Goals App Accelerator which consists of a tutorial that explains what schools want to see in career goals, with guided exercises for how you can develop a good set of goals based on your current interests, with private, personalized feedback from EssaySnark on what you come up with. We don't usually recommend this for Harvard applicants because in general, Harvard isn't fixated on goals; they don't even have much in the way of questions around goals in the app. But it's a different reality for 2+2 applicants and you'll need to do more to show why the 2+2 path is right for you. So having some goals nailed down can help a lot in this case. They also matter for Stanford so you could benefit from going through that process with EssaySnark.

Hope that helps!!! Lots to think about, yes, but you're in a nice position based on what you've done to date.

EssaySnark

This is a bit late EssaySnark, but just wanted to say THANK YOU for all the past advice :) accepted !
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Send PM
Woo-hoo sheepykiyomi!!! Congratulations!!! Are you saying you got into HBS? That of course would be awesome - though all the schools that we discussed are also awesome. No matter what, you must've done something to impression the admissions team. Very cool. Thank you for circling back to let us know - exciting stuff!!!

(Apparently we now know the answer to your question posed in the title of this thread: YES! You're "good enough"!!!! :P )

EssaySnark
GMAT Club Bot