It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 21:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GPA, transcript and GMAT Score.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 42

Concentration: General Management, Statistics
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GPA, transcript and GMAT Score. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 12:13
Hi,

I am an "Indian IT male" with a Bachelor in Technology degree from a reputed state college in India.

I had many subject related to mathematics in my engineering curriculum. Subjects include Mathematics 1,Mathematics 2,Mathematics 3 and Mathematics 4.

Among these subject in second year first semester I failed in subjects Maths 3 and Data Communication, I cleared these subjects in summer term and in third year respectively. Now that clearly reflects in my university transcripts.

My GPA in engineering is 7.35/10.

My GMAT scores.
1)670 Q49 V31,
2)660 Q50 V28 (cancelled score)
3)730 Q 49 (75%) V 41(94%) IR 5(55%) AWA 5(60%) (latest one)

I am going to apply to HKU MBA, NUS MBA, NTU MBA, ISB.

In a recent interview of a member of Wharton adcom, the member said that almost all business schools look for candidates performance in mathematics/quant in his/her graduate curriculum as well as in GMAT score.

After watching that interview I am quite nervous about my academic performance (subjects I failed in and average GPA).

Now my question is how adcoms will perceive my transcript and GMAT score from qant/maths point of view, will that affect my chances in above mentioned business schools. Shall I mention my scores (although irrelevant internationally) in competitive exams like CAT and XAT (which are conducted in India and are considered tough as far as quant is concerned), my quant scores in these exams are above average.

P.S. Retaking GMAT is really not an option for me now.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Re: GPA, transcript and GMAT Score. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 10:18
Thanks for sharing your profile and situation. The way the ad comm evaluates your quant profile is pretty spot on from what you heard from the Wahrton ad comm, so there should be a bit of concern. At this point there is not much you can do about that. For most their quant grades are low but to fail a class does not represent well. You have a good GMAT score and a competitive quant score within that so I think your target school list still makes sense but if there is an explanation for your failed classes you may want to surface that in an optional essay.

I don't think referencing past standardized tests in India probably won't resonate much unfortunately

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: General Management, Statistics
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GPA, transcript and GMAT Score. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 00:21
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Thanks for sharing your profile and situation. The way the ad comm evaluates your quant profile is pretty spot on from what you heard from the Wahrton ad comm, so there should be a bit of concern. At this point there is not much you can do about that. For most their quant grades are low but to fail a class does not represent well. You have a good GMAT score and a competitive quant score within that so I think your target school list still makes sense but if there is an explanation for your failed classes you may want to surface that in an optional essay.

I don't think referencing past standardized tests in India probably won't resonate much unfortunately

Thank you for your reply Dozie.

Your suggestion of explaining failure in undergrad subjects in an optional essay is really impressive.

In an optional essay, can I compensate my failure in 2 subjects with good grades in relevant subjects?

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 53

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 00:52
onkargm wrote:
Hi,

I am an "Indian IT male" with a Bachelor in Technology degree from a reputed state college in India.

I had many subject related to mathematics in my engineering curriculum. Subjects include Mathematics 1,Mathematics 2,Mathematics 3 and Mathematics 4.

Among these subject in second year first semester I failed in subjects Maths 3 and Data Communication, I cleared these subjects in summer term and in third year respectively. Now that clearly reflects in my university transcripts.

My GPA in engineering is 7.35/10.

My GMAT scores.
1)670 Q49 V31,
2)660 Q50 V28 (cancelled score)
3)730 Q 49 (75%) V 41(94%) IR 5(55%) AWA 5(60%) (latest one)

I am going to apply to HKU MBA, NUS MBA, NTU MBA, ISB.

In a recent interview of a member of Wharton adcom, the member said that almost all business schools look for candidates performance in mathematics/quant in his/her graduate curriculum as well as in GMAT score.

After watching that interview I am quite nervous about my academic performance (subjects I failed in and average GPA).

Now my question is how adcoms will perceive my transcript and GMAT score from qant/maths point of view, will that affect my chances in above mentioned business schools. Shall I mention my scores (although irrelevant internationally) in competitive exams like CAT and XAT (which are conducted in India and are considered tough as far as quant is concerned), my quant scores in these exams are above average.

P.S. Retaking GMAT is really not an option for me now.

Hi,

You have mentioned that you eventually passed these two subjects. You must mention this in the optional letter, also setting some context to the initial failed status and the subsequent pass marks. Explain why things went the way they did in a matured way, without giving excuses or frivolous reasoning.

Your GMAT score is a more recent indicator of your quant capability, athough a number of Indians manage to score 50-51 so this may still be average quant from an Indian perspective.

If you use advanced quantitive and analytical concepts at work, then it would be worth a mention.

Lastly, submit an overall strong application that makes you look attractive to the adcom despite the undergrad blip. I think it should be possible at the b-schools you are targeting

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 53

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 12:02
I would include the explanation in the same optional essay where you explain the failed classes. Point to your strengths to counteract your weak grades, as validation that you have shown an ability to handle difficult analytical coursework

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: GPA, transcript and GMAT Score.   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2017, 12:02

GPA, transcript and GMAT Score.

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap