GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 01 Jun 2020, 22:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Grade based on % of correct answers during practice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Grade based on % of correct answers during practice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 10:32
During multiple practices (on WILEY, using The Economist GMAT package) I normally get 65 - 80% of the questions correct (both VB and QT) only using Medium level difficulty questions (I guess, as in the GMAT Club, medium questions are about 600pt level) making 40 questions in a row. It is possible to have an estimate of the equivalent grade?
I don't want to use all my mock exams yet.
Thank you a lot!
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Grade based on % of correct answers during practice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 13:12
evitacapitana wrote:
During multiple practices (on WILEY, using The Economist GMAT package) I normally get 65 - 80% of the questions correct (both VB and QT) only using Medium level difficulty questions (I guess, as in the GMAT Club, medium questions are about 600pt level) making 40 questions in a row. It is possible to have an estimate of the equivalent grade?
Thank you a lot!

Since the test is adaptive, you wouldn't really get 40 questions of similar level.
I would suggest taking 1 full mock test (whichever prep company's tests you prefer) with all the sections to see what score you get.
You can always keep doing sets like these thereafter to see if you are improving or not, but definitely won't be useful to estimate scores.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 14:10
This is one of the hard things about the GMAT - it is very hard to estimate the score simply based on the number of right/wrong answers. You can see how greatly it can vary in the GMAT Prep Software: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-so ... 46146.html to give you a quick example:

1. Miss the last 10 quant questions - final score is Q50
2. Miss the first 10 quant questions - final score is Q38

The score and numbers depend on question difficulty and how many mistakes you make in a row. However, I used a quick and dirty system and it worked for me using Kaplan questions at least. My goal was 90% correct so if I took a quiz of 10 questions, i could make 1 mistake. It definitely was not scientific but that goal got me to 750 so I would say

90% for 730+ score
80% for a 670+ score.
70% for 600+ score

That's my very rough scale for quiz-taking.
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 11:23
Hi evitacapitana,

Unfortunately, there's no way to 'translate' your performance on a Quiz to an actual GMAT Score. The only practical way to measure your progress during your studies is to take FULL-LENGTH CATs under 'test-like' conditions. That means that you have to take the ENTIRE CAT, away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, without doing anything unrealistic (such as pausing the Test, eating/drinking while taking it, etc.).

From what you described, you've clearly put in some study time already. Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies going forward, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 16:31
evitacapitana wrote:
Thank you a lot!

There's no way to know based on this, unfortunately. The GMAT doesn't take into account the percent of questions you answered correctly when it calculates your score.

However, it does suggest that you're studying at the right level, if that helps! You should be spending most of your study time working on material that's just a bit difficult for you (where you're getting maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of the questions right most of the time.) So it doesn't sound like you're doing sets that are much too hard or too easy. :)

Why are you concerned about running out of practice tests? The number of free ones is limited, but be aware that there are a number of options to pay for more, high-quality practice tests (access to all six MPrep practice GMATs, for instance, is $50 for 6 months.)

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Online tutoring and curriculum

My latest GMAT blog posts | My latest GRE blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2020, 17:18
Hi evitacapitana,

As has been said, it's quite difficult to predict your score based just on the number of questions you’ve gotten correct when practicing. Thus, I agree that it would be helpful to take an official practice exam to get a baseline score. I realize that you’d like to save all your practice exams, but you can repeat the first GMATPrep exam, and you’ll have another 5 exams left to take once you complete the learning phase of your prep.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
202 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Grade based on % of correct answers during practice   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2020, 17:18

Grade based on % of correct answers during practice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep