Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: Graduate of 09's economy... No "real" work experience [#permalink]
I think you should consider something other than a MBA degree.

If you go to a second or third tier school that will accept you without much work experience.....after 2 years, you are not much better than undergrads with a BBA degree graduating in the same year.

You will most likely end up with a mountain of debt, but lower wage than what traditional MBA grads are expected to earn after graduation.

I understand the situation that you are in, but other options should be considered:

1. Teach for America or Peace Corp
2. Other graduate programs such as law school, MS Accounting, MS Finance, etc (prominent graduate programs for individuals without much work experience and well established recruiting/career route)
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
NoobSaibot,

nink offers valuable suggestions. Ultimately, it depends on your career plans. I would reiterate finalizing those (or at least having an approximate idea) before making the commitment for a MBA.

Also, if you are really keen on a MBA at the present time for personal reasons, part-time programs could be an option. These will give you additional time to figure out your career plans and be less of a financial burden since you could keep working. Also, part-time programs start three times a year, versus full-time programs that start once a year, making them slightly less selective and more adaptable to an applicant's needs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thank you all for the feedback! I haven't really looked into part-time programs but that sounds like a great idea. Looks like Mizzou doesn't offer a part-time program but WashU does. Would part-time programs want full-time work experience as well? Or could I just explain that I want to find full-time experience (and work full-time somewhere) as I'm in the part-time program.

Edit: I forgot to ask... if it takes a full-time program two years to be completed, how many years does it take for a part-time program to be completed?
Send PM
Noob,

Generally, part-time program tend to be easier to get into than their full-time equivalents. However, when you apply to these, you will be competing with applicants who have significant full-time experience.

If you are really keen on a university such as WashU, you should research it further to understand if it meets your career ambitions and course requirements to be able to better convince AdCom of your fit even though you have a different professional profile than your peers. Part-time programs take 3-5 years, depending on how many classes you take in a year.
GMAT Club Bot