Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V165
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Send PM
Re: GRE Friendly Schools [#permalink]
Hey jb'08!

So yeah, like I mentioned, Consortium allows you to report your GRE but they have a preference for the GMAT. You won't find that explicitly stated on their website, however. Also, even though the schools say they'll accept the GRE through the Consortium, they also prefer the GMAT.

At the end of the day, if you're applying through the Consortium, you can probably get away without taking the GMAT but just know that's going to raise a flag in the adcoms. If you're not going through the consortium, you're going to face pretty stiff resistance from most programs out there with the guidance that you either have to take the GMAT or they'll strongly suggest it, which is the same thing.

However, my previous question still stands - is there a reason you're hesitant to take the GMAT? Does it have to do with how verbal is tested? Or is it more a time requirement constraint? Worst case, you take the GMAT, don't do too well, and then don't report it to any programs and apply with your GRE score through Consortium. But I think you're closing a few doors or making them harder to get through by not taking the GMAT.

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Bhavik.

My concern with the GMAT is that I'm unfamiliar to it and I don't believe I can do as well on it at the GRE.

For one my strong suit in the GRE is Verbal and that is based on vocabulary. GMAT doesn't test vocabulary as much but it does test grammar. My grammar is rather embarrassing.

Also,the GMAT quantitative can be more rigorous than GRE. That's another cause for concern.

I only have the month of July to study and I'll be doing one week of travel to visit schools and another train for my teaching next year. I'm concerned that with so little preparation, I'm better off improving the GRE which I can surely do, rather than taking the risk with a new unfamiliar test. I want to be done with my testing by August 5th or so, and I want to devote time to completing at least 2 - 3 applications during July. GMAT seems like a time intensive proposition.

Thank you for the time you have devoted to this thread. I look forward to hearing back from you.

-jb'08
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey mate,

You're very welcome - it's helpful to chat things through. That's what I thought. A lot of people prefer the GRE because of the way it tests verbal more than anything else. If you're applying through the Consortium only, then go ahead and focus on the GRE. Like you said, you'll be able to improve it and it'll probably be more bang for your buck in terms of time spent.

But, that said, really drive that GRE score north. Make it good enough that it slams the book closed on the debate. What you want is the adcom to look at it and go, "wow, that's pretty darn good!"

I hope that helps. If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out! And good luck on the retake :)

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you so much Bhavik!

That's my goal. I know I can go up enough in Quant into the 95% percentile. I'm going to sign up for Magoosh and take them up on the 5-point guarantee. If most of the increase is in Quant I should be fine.

I do want to apply to a couple of schools outside Consortium but within the Consortium I would be elated to enroll in: Tuck (1), Ross (2), Darden(5), Yale SOM(2), Johnson(2), Stern(7), Haas(5), Kenan-Flagler(10), Tepper(9) or McCombs(8). The ranking is as of now, without much research or intimate knowledge. It will certainly change.

That's a list of 10 schools that I have to narrow to 6. That's why I'm doing my research. If I can narrow it to the 6 schools that most fit my profile, and I get in to one, I will be satisfied. Ideally I could get some money, but then again, beggars can't be choosers.

jb'08
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Send PM
That's a fantastic list and it's perfectly normal to have a list that is in flux. That's part of the process!

If you want more info on any of the programs in your list, check out our [School Profiles]. They're free and pretty detailed!

Also, check out our page on how [Choosing Programs]. It's a great place to start and includes a list of all the things you should be thinking about when looking at MBA programs. The list isn’t exhaustive but it will get you thinking about what’s important to you!

If you ever want to chat about how to narrow down the list or which schools might be best for what you want to do, reach out to us and we'll [get on a call]. Given the variety in the schools you've listed, there's going to be a lot of really healthy discussion!

Cheers!

Bhavik
GMAT Club Bot