GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Greatest Accomplishment Optional Essay

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Greatest Accomplishment Optional Essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 07:31
Hello,

I'm not sure how to professionally talk about this in an admissions essay.

My greatest accomplishment in my life is beating poverty and homelessness. I didn't have anyone to support me. I was able to take care of myself. I was homeless in High School and college. I've been told that is says a lot about my character.

I think it is a very important part of my profile that AdComs should know about.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Greatest Accomplishment Optional Essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 20:59
You will need to find the right opportunity within your application package. You do not want to just jam it in a place within the application that does not make sense. It must feel authentic. Many schools may give you the opportunity to weave this into your application narrative but if they do not you do not want to artificially include. If you make it to the interview stage you for sure will have an easy way to include when asked the question - "tell me about yourself"

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 00:36
1trailer2onepercent wrote:
Hello,

My greatest accomplishment in my life is beating poverty and homelessness. I didn't have anyone to support me. I was able to take care of myself. I was homeless in High School and college. I've been told that is says a lot about my character.

I think it is a very important part of my profile that AdComs should know about.

Any advice?

Congratulations dearest..
It truly is a big accomplishment. It is also a very potent voice about your character, but I suppose you know this yourself, the answers will define HOW you fit it in. You will either have to do a lot of research yourself, or engage a good application editor.

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 07:21
Hello,

Any advice?

That is indeed very impressive and I glad to hear that you are in a better place now. I definitely think this is something you should mention, as it must have had an impact on you and it also makes you unique, of course. Now, the question is how to mention it and that may be the tricky part, depending on where you are applying.

Therefore, I would advise you, if at all possible, to work with a professional editor or editing service for a few of the essays at least (the most important ones), you could probably get some ideas to reuse for some of the other essays that way, but don’t attempt to do it all on your own if you are not sure how to present it all.

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 02:19
Hello,

Any advice?

Hi 1trailer2onepercent,

Thanks for sharing your query.

Indeed this does say a lot about you as a person and the enumeration of this journey should definitely be included in your admissions essays. However, instead of making the facts sound force-fitted, we must focus on building a theme around the same :) A lot depends on the schools we will be applying to and the essay questions at hand.

Should you need more help figuring this out, do get in touch with us :)

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Re: Greatest Accomplishment Optional Essay &nbs [#permalink] 28 Feb 2018, 02:19

Greatest Accomplishment Optional Essay

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap