Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 874 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Send PM
Re: Green MBA [#permalink]
Presidio is right next to my office, I had been to their information sessions are they are one of the very few in the world entirely dedicated for GREEN MBA. The plus points of this institute is

1) MBA structured just for sustainability
2) Location - San Francisco - home to major players in sustainability and high tech sector
3) They are not that expensive compared to other schools
4) Lots of young crowd waiting to jump into the field

On the flip side the cons I can think off is
1) Relatively new
2) Alumni is relatively small
3) Not tier1

So basically it all boils down to you

if your goal is to get into this field then presidio might not be a bad choice as they have good connections with the industry specific to their program, they encourage to start up your own business too.

But if your plan is to land up in a sure shot high paying job or to have a backup plan of shifting careers then better aim for the top 30 universities.

The way you can slowly transition to such a filed or increase your chances of getting into such a field is to get into social activites targeted for cleaner envrionment like
1) Cleaning up local parks/lakes/beaches
2) using cycle for work and joining a local cycle club.
3) Try influencing your local homeowners to shift to solar power, if you can say you made it possible at the rate of even 1 per month its a huge plus for your resume.
4) Start a blog on how you can make the world a better place in terms of promoting GREEN and post interesting articles you find all over the globe.
5) Start thinking how your technology background can actually help making this world more GREEN.

In this way you can slowly but surely build up your resume as a very strong candidate for your change in profession and shows how passionate you are.

And they are big school players slowly getting into this field like Haas - https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/specialties_06.html

All said done, if you are very strong on this, write your GMAT this year in the next three months and then start building on your resume.
Even if you later change your mind the above said points will 500% help you in your application and most of the B-Schools prefer 3-4 years experience on an average.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more information.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Once again thanks a lot for taking out time to reply
and for the precious info as well.

I'll surely keep looking for some more schools which offer the same.
And on n off i've been doing some of the things you mentioned.
There's another school that i keep reading about in all the blogs and
articles ie Dominican University of California.

Perhaps because this is one more school that offers a specialized course in this
field. And their curriculum looks quite interesting, relevant and very specific.
Can you please share some info about this school?

One more opinion
What according to you would be better?... to opt for a highly specific course like one of
these which are relatively new or a course that is a blend of general mangament and sustainability from a higher ranked University.

Thanks for all the information.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Send PM
Not sure about the other university, though it looks impressive

I would suggest you to apply to good universities who have atleast 3 or 4 electives in such fields.

Like I said earlier many schools have started to offer more and more courses on such topics.

One more example - https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/student_resou ... ions/#doc2

So advantage is they are top tier schools and also have electives of your choice.

So while applying I would go with 3/4th of top 30 schools and also schools like Presidio and Domnican
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
gmanjesh wrote:
As of now GREEN jobs are a hot thing world wide with USA government and other countries pumping in money to make this world a better place.

In India government is encouraging solar all over with only 0.01% actually using it. India having 300 days of bright sunny days is one of the best countries for going solar for its daily needs. With not many players in the field this surely is a hot industry for atleast 5-10 years from now.

They are numerous universities which have special courses related to issues concerning social and environmental stewardship in to the curriculum.

Aspen Institute published the rankings for the same

https://www.beyondgreypinstripes.org/rankings/index.cfm

But remember doing this course you should be determined to continue your path in the same direction because tomorrow after an year if you decide this was not your cup of team and it was finance then you time and money is wasted. So be sure of your next 30 years before taking up any specialization in MBA.

Truly, a great ranking list. Every aspect of the MBA offerings in relation to sustainability and social conscience are examined in depth and detail. Thanks for sharing.
GMAT Club Bot