GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 24 May 2020, 13:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GSB vs HBS + Covid/Recession Concerns

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which opinion would you choose for Fall 2020

• 31% [7]
  • 27% [6]
  • 40% [9]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Harvard   Stanford   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GSB vs HBS + Covid/Recession Concerns  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Mar 2020, 17:18
Hello GMAT comrades!

So I know there have been some other GSB vs HBS threads from the mid-2000s and mid-2010s and I have thoroughly appreciated all the feedback the older threads but would love to get some more recent thoughts especially with the forecast of the 2020 recession that will bleed into the next 2+ years of our lives.

For full disclosure, I have already received notice as an international admit, there is a high probability I won't be able to get my student visa on time so I am hypothesizing that in the coming months I will be given the opportunity to a) defer to start Aug 2021, or b) start as expected in the autumn of 2020 but attend first semester virtually (which sounds like a huge waste of the MBA experience that is all about sharing experiences and real time feedback)

Would love to get the thoughts of all the folks here.

My Education/Background:
State/Provincial university, 3.8 GPA, Honors Business Administration, International Female

Work experience:
10 months in consulting
2 years operations/strategy at pre-IPO (late stage startup)
2 years product at another pre-IPO (late stage startup)
3 months starting my own venture

Post MBA Aspirations:
Early Stage Venture Capital

Why did I want to get out of an MBA?
Break into VC and moving to the US to build a community of ambitious females

As I have been scouring online resources and doing some brainstorming myself, I will list what I think are the the pros/cons of each school if I were to matriculate Aug 2020:

HBS
+ Larger Class Size/Community
+ Larger alumni network & brand
+ Socratic method/ more academic focus
+ Possibility for scholarship (I've already gotten notice from GSB that I am getting $0 scholarship)
- More competitive environment/more ego/finance bro types?
- Very fixed curriculum
- Might be duplicative of my Business Admin undergrad courses (if the focus is on the learnings/grades)
- Watching the professor/student interview videos, there seems to be an air of pretense with faculty using unnecessarily technical words like "pedagogical teaching methods" vs simply saying "innovative teaching methods". Stuff like this really rubs me the wrong way

GSB
+ Very introspective individuals, from all that I met, everyone has been very nice/thoughtful
+ Known for a "no jerks" environment
+ Cross-campus integration (can take comp sci classes etc)
+ Smaller class so maybe easier to make friends?
+ More flexible curriculum
- Definitely $0 scholarship (already been notified)
- Heard the actual core "courses" are weaker
- GSB Campus is pretty much limited to the Knight Hennessy Quad (quite small) [although the rest of the Stanford campus is beautiful]

I know in older threads (mid-2010s), the decision always comes down to an individual should go to Stanford if you want VC/tech, HBS if you want PE/ General Manager at some Fortune 500 company. Is this black and white matrix still the way people would recommend in 2020? I feel like in the past few years it seems like GSB is really eating HBS' cake? The only thing I was able to find was on Quora: "80% of dual admits go to GSB" but the source is very unreliable.

Lastly, taking into consideration that there is a possibility that I can't get my student visa in time for Aug 2020/ or first semester is going to be virtual, I am also strongly considering applying to a VC firm pre-MBA and then deferring to start in Aug 2021.

What are folks' thoughts on this? Anyone who also got accepted to matriculate autumn of 2020 and thinking of deferring? In 2020, would you choose HBS or GSB?

Thank you all for reading in advance!

Originally posted by kiwigreenapple on 31 Mar 2020, 17:00.
Last edited by kiwigreenapple on 31 Mar 2020, 17:18, edited 2 times in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GSB vs HBS + Covid/Recession Concerns  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 17:10
Congrats! i can check the validity of the dual admits and what they choose based on our data over the last few years. Anyone actually can using the filters in the decision tracker (I think it is definitely wrong about 80% choosing GSB since GSB is half the size of HBS... they must have done some bad math with the yield and admit rates trying to read too much into the tea leaves. Of course I may be surprised and quite wrong, so I will dig for some data).

It is funny... just a day or two ago, someone asked for the reasons people do pick GSB over HBS and the best one I could come up is the VC/California location.

A comment about jerks - in my experience with the HBS students and alums, I am yet to encounter a macho alpha type. Most are very well aware and sensible. I would be surprised if GSB has a better jerk-meter that filters out candidats than HBS but perhaps they invented one. :lol:

In terms of HBS and GSB 2020, I agree that it would be good to get a sense of the lay of the land and how things are working out. Let me try some of the current students and see if they would be willing to share (and reply to my PM).

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 17:23
Here is an actually pretty short list of folks who have matriculated into the GSB (not everyone or rather few people have the time and memory to update their matriculation decision on GMAT Club after they have been admitted; let's hope that changes) but we have 13 Matriculating folks for GSB FT MBA https://gmatclub.com/forum/decision-tra ... BAPrograms

There are a number of private folks and I need to ask someone smarter than me on the back end to cross reference those and see if they had HBS admits as well. So far I have found a number of people including someone 47 misn ago who passed by the HBS and picked GSB: yesla

P.S. In short, I need a day to pull the data for HBS vs. GSB. I overcommitted and overpromissed :lol:

Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q165 V165

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 19:52
OP, congrats!!
Not to hijack the thread but I'm struggling with the same as a domestic applicant -- HBS vs GSB (also vs Wharton with significant scholarship).
Is there any chance of negotiating scholarship money with these need-based schools?
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 20:01
I think the more the merrier as long as we are on topic. I only have one data point on scholarships.... there was a Stanford hack a number of years ago that exposed that scholarships weren’t always purely need-based... But that’s the only reference point I have. There isn’t all that much information about scholarships in the wild.

But we’re definitely in a new territory. An MSx student mentioned that there is a talk among the students about possibly providing refunds/credits/additional training in lieu of Or rather in addition of online classes that they have to take. I’m not sure if this may have some side effect or impact on tuition should it extend into the fall.... you may have seen that conversation.

However, I’ve heard an interesting theory that deferrals may not be too widespread and should not be counted on. Otherwise, the theory goes, with many students deferring, it makes this year‘s income in class very small and swells the class after which will make quite a bit of a mess for the schools to deal with.... what do you think?

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q165 V165

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 20:04
bb wrote:
I think the more the merrier as long as we are on topic. I only have one data point on scholarships.... there was a Stanford hack a number of years ago that exposed that scholarships weren’t always purely need-based... But that’s the only reference point I have. There isn’t all that much information about scholarships in the wild.

But we’re definitely in a new territory. An MSx student mentioned that there is a talk among the students about possibly providing refunds/credits/additional training in lieu of Or rather in addition of online classes that they have to take. I’m not sure if this may have some side effect or impact on tuition should it extend into the fall.... you may have seen that conversation.

However, I’ve heard an interesting theory that deferrals may not be too widespread and should. It be counted on. Otherwise, the theory goes, with many students deferring, it makes this year‘s income in class very small and swells the class after which will make quite a bit of a mess for the schools to deal with.... what do you think?

I haven't heard of anyone who is thinking of deferring, certainly not when admitted to these three. Again, I'm not an international so my viewpoint is limited. With visa challenges I can absolutely foresee us having less geographic diversity in the class this year.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 20:04
Ha. Found this post that suggests HBS has bumped up their offer: https://gmatclub.com/forum/hbs-full-tui ... 98844.html

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Apr 2020, 19:41
I just got the stats dump for the last 5 years (2015-2020) and largely it is disappointing that most people are not indicating their final matriculation decision so the data points are on the lower side. There are anywhere between 21 to 50 data records for people who have applied to both programs each year. Not huge percentages but better than nothing. I can also see that over the years people have become much more insecure and have not really posted "DENIED" status for programs. You will see the numbers of denied applicants dwindle every year.... perceptions perceptions.... Here are the details:

ONLY APPLICANTS TO BOTH GSB AND HBS
Includes only those who have applied to both and have been admitted to at least one program. This excludes "luck-seekers" who applied to HBS and GSB and did not get into either program.

GSB/HBS Class of 2017 Overlap
HBSGSB
Applied: 5252
Admitted: 4229
Denied: 1023
Dual Admit: 1919
Matriculating3/154/7

3/15 means that out of total 15 matriculating statuses, 3 had dual admits and chose HBS over GSB
4/7 means that out of 7 matriculating, 4 had dual admits and chose GSB over HBS

GSB/HBS Class of 2018 Overlap
HBSGSB
Applied: 2121
Admitted: 179
Denied: 412
Dual Admit: 55
Matriculating72/4

7 means that out of total 7 matriculating statuses, 0 had dual admits
2/4 means that out of 4 matriculating, 2 had dual admits and chose GSB

GSB/HBS Class of 2019 Overlap
HBSGSB
Applied: 2929
Admitted: 249
Denied: 512
Dual Admit: 1212
Matriculating1/52/4

1/5 means that out of total 5 matriculating statuses, 1 had dual admits and chose HBS
2/4 means that out of 4 matriculating, 2 had dual admits and chose GSB

GSB/HBS Class of 2020 Overlap
HBSGSB
Applied: 3939
Admitted: 3621
Denied: 318
Dual Admit: 1212
Matriculating3/83/4

3/8 means that out of total 8 matriculating statuses, 3 had dual admits and chose HBS
3/4 means that out of 4 matriculating, 3 had dual admits and chose GSB

GSB/HBS Class of 2021 Overlap
HBSGSB
Applied: 2121
Admitted: 2012
Denied: 19
Dual Admit: 1111
Matriculating1/11/1

1/1 means that out of total 1 matriculating statuses, 1 had dual admits and chose HBS
1/1 means that out of 1 matriculating, 1 had dual admits and chose GSB

There you go. What does it say? :-o

Originally posted by bb on 01 Apr 2020, 19:20.
Last edited by bb on 01 Apr 2020, 19:41, edited 8 times in total.
Updated with more data
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2020, 19:43
Final update posted.... I also have this year but it is incomplete as many people have not made their decisions yet. We have 17 records for Class of 2022 dual applicants.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2020, 20:35
Can attest to HBS having not-so-great people.. more uptight. People I know from my network at HBS fit that build. The people in my network at Stanford are noticeably nicer, my individual perspective. Really depends on the section you get at HBS, luck of the draw. But HBS with it's larger alumni base and chapters globally should be considered...
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2020, 20:38
Plandrive wrote:
Can attest to HBS having not-so-great people.. more uptight. People I know from my network at HBS fit that build. The people in my network at Stanford are noticeably nicer, my individual perspective. Really depends on the section you get at HBS, luck of the draw. But HBS with it's larger alumni base and chapters globally should be considered...

There are 900 students in a class at HBS... this is a pretty general statement that’s likely based on less than 1% sample size?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2020, 20:41
Yup, agree. Should've added my individual perspective disclaimer at front. Few friends at HBS have mentioned that different sections have different cultures (some relaxed, some more competitive), I just find it coincidental that more than just a couple I know at HBS were not-so-nice people. Definitely still lots of nice people
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GSB vs HBS + Covid/Recession Concerns   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2020, 20:41

GSB vs HBS + Covid/Recession Concerns

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Regenerate, FinanceMan