GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 03:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard vs. Booth ($$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Harvard vs. Booth ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 01:56
Hi everyone, looking for some perspectives on a decision I have to make. (Admittedly both are amazing options, so I'm not complaining)

I've been accepted to Harvard and Booth. Booth has given me a ~75% scholarship, which would mean I would graduate with no debt. Harvard only does need based fellowships, which given my situation would mean I would graduate with a debt load, likely around $100k.

I'm currently thinking of two options for me after graduation, either MBB or getting into VC in the industry I worked in previously.

Would I be crazy to not go to HBS, even given the $$$? If I go down the MBB route, is the recruiting really any different between the two? I know brand name is more of a factor for VC, so HBS would open more doors.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Dec 2017, 12:48
Take that money and go to Booth.

In two years, you'll have the same MBB role (or VC role) you would have if you went to HBS--you just won't have years' worth of student loan payments to fork over as well.

If for whatever reason you aren't able to land the role you want, it won't be because you're at Chicago as opposed to Harvard, it'll be because something went awry in the recruiting process. In other words, just having an "H" on your resume isn't going to land you a job that a "B" would prevent you from getting.

There's just no way that HBS is worth $100k more than Booth.

Originally posted by teleste on 19 Dec 2017, 11:09.
Last edited by teleste on 19 Dec 2017, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q161 V169
Re: Harvard vs. Booth ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 12:00
JessocMBA wrote:
Hi everyone, looking for some perspectives on a decision I have to make. (Admittedly both are amazing options, so I'm not complaining)

I've been accepted to Harvard and Booth. Booth has given me a ~75% scholarship, which would mean I would graduate with no debt. Harvard only does need based fellowships, which given my situation would mean I would graduate with a debt load, likely around $100k.

I'm currently thinking of two options for me after graduation, either MBB or getting into VC in the industry I worked in previously.

Would I be crazy to not go to HBS, even given the $$$? If I go down the MBB route, is the recruiting really any different between the two? I know brand name is more of a factor for VC, so HBS would open more doors.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device

Well, how do you feel about the 100% case method at HBS? Personally, I would take the money. But it depends on what you value.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 13:15
VC is very much network-based and you would have to shmooze and network quite a bit including getting an internship (critical piece).

I don't think VC's call the campus to get a fresh HBS grad hired but maybe I am wrong. I know many HBS folks graduate without a job offer accepted - not as much a sign of weakness but perhaps pickiness and options they have on the table.

Booth has the Polski center and a strong Entrepreneurship track. MBB is probably equally good where you would have equal shots.
It is a hard call but you are putting 100K on a chance the HBS will convert you to VC and some other aspects of a higher-ranked MBA program.

P.S. If having your name at the top of the totem pole is your thing, there is only one choice. I know quite a few folks who would not entertain another offer if they got one from HBS. Heck, I even know people who are passing 100K scholarship at Foster only to go Ross without a penny of assistance.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Tuck '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 15:32
Aside from @bb's sticky in this subforum, which details a well-thought-out strategy, think of it this way — 6 months ago, would you pay $100k if you could magically buy a seat at HBS? If yes, then take your seat.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 15:42
airo wrote:
Aside from @bb's sticky in this subforum, which details a well-thought-out strategy, think of it this way — 6 months ago, would you pay $100k if you could magically buy a seat at HBS? If yes, then take your seat.

Good point, I don't know what I would have chosen 5 years ago or 10....
I would add the point i just made for Ross vs. Madison which seems like would be a far stretch. You do have opportunity and other costs, so the diff is not $0 vs. $100,000. The diff is $200K vs. $300K for Booth vs. HBS. I still don't know if it is worth to you but maybe this helps....

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 15:57
MBB plans - No real reason to choose Harvard over Booth. Both will give you the same opportunities and you'll get an MBB offer depending on your interview performance. Verdict: Booth with $$ is clear winner

VC plans - Getting into VC is pretty tough, even at truly top business schools (HSW). Its very competitive with great candidates, and personal networks can play a huge role in getting final offers. Although Harvard may increase your chances of going into VC, i'd say that actual VC likelihood will go from "very tough" at Booth to "tough" at Harvard. In my opinion, not sure the slight increase in chances is worth the extra $$, but still... Verdict: Harvard, by a little bit

Personal self-esteem levels - This can be a major deciding factor.. how do you feel about yourself currently? Are you hungry for social "prestige"? Harvard is the biggest global brand in education, and the name does carry a lot of weight. It has the maximum potential of making someone notice you, no matter where you are in the world. Booth (and U of C) has a great brand too, but not at the same level as Harvard. This will be up to you to decide - do you want that prestige, at the cost of $100K?

On the flipside, always knowing that YOU declined a Harvard offer has a certain "coolness" about it as well. You'll be in the select group of individuals who have declined a Harvard admit. :)

Nonetheless, a great dilemma to have. Congratulations, and good luck with the decision!!

GMAT Debrief - 770
bb's "The Definitive GMAT Study Plan" - 2016 Edition
Must read forum topics before you start your MBA application

Retired Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 16:51
stoiczoan wrote:
MBB plans - No real reason to choose Harvard over Booth. Both will give you the same opportunities and you'll get an MBB offer depending on your interview performance. Verdict: Booth with $$ is clear winner

VC plans - Getting into VC is pretty tough, even at truly top business schools (HSW). Its very competitive with great candidates, and personal networks can play a huge role in getting final offers. Although Harvard may increase your chances of going into VC, i'd say that actual VC likelihood will go from "very tough" at Booth to "tough" at Harvard. In my opinion, not sure the slight increase in chances is worth the extra $$, but still... Verdict: Harvard, by a little bit

Personal self-esteem levels - This can be a major deciding factor.. how do you feel about yourself currently? Are you hungry for social "prestige"? Harvard is the biggest global brand in education, and the name does carry a lot of weight. It has the maximum potential of making someone notice you, no matter where you are in the world. Booth (and U of C) has a great brand too, but not at the same level as Harvard. This will be up to you to decide - do you want that prestige, at the cost of $100K?

On the flipside, always knowing that YOU declined a Harvard offer has a certain "coolness" about it as well. You'll be in the select group of individuals who have declined a Harvard admit. :)

Nonetheless, a great dilemma to have. Congratulations, and good luck with the decision!!

True that, someone rejecting a Harvard admit is way cooler in mind than somebody going to HBS lol.

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 09:10
you would not be crazy to turn down HBS to take the money at booth. several of my classmates (at least those that i was aware of) turned down HBS given the scholarships they received at booth. you will have no disadvantage at all for MBB recruiting at booth (i think booth sent the most people to mckinsey of any business school last year). Given you worked in VC before, you will have no problem getting back into VC from booth if you decide to go down that path. All of my classmates who came in with PE/VC backgrounds and wanted to go back into the same industry were successful.
INSEAD Thread Master
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 10:18
I would think about this in terms of both the short-term in the long-term. Yes I think MBB would be open to you with either choice, however how long will you be in consulting? Unless you want no life and no family probably won't be forever. And so then what? So I would kind of think about where you would be going from consulting. That often is PE or VC.

If youre going for VC I would really think about whether you need an international brand name or not. The fact is that Chicago doesn't carry the same weight abroad as HBS. Which is unfortunate but true.

Also consider what kind of experience you want and what you want out of that education. Chicago has no core curriculum basically; HBS is focused on general management.

Lastly, contact some recent HBS and Booth graduates and ask them. Hop on LinkedIn.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Harvard vs. Booth ($$$) &nbs [#permalink] 23 Dec 2017, 10:18

Harvard vs. Booth ($$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap