GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 09:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Health officials now recommend that people reduce their intake of food

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Health officials now recommend that people reduce their intake of food  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 May 2018, 23:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:58) correct 37% (02:09) wrong based on 270 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Health officials now recommend that people reduce their intake of foods that are high in cholesterol, such as red meat. The recent decline in the total consumption of beef indicates that many people are following this recommendation. But restaurants specializing in steak are flourishing despite an overall decline in the restaurant industry. So clearly there still are a lot of people completely ignoring the health recommendation.

The argument is vulnerable to criticism on which one of the following grounds?

(A) It neglects to consider whether restaurants that specialize in steak try to attract customers by offering steak dinners at low prices.

(B) It assumes without warrant that people who eat steak at steak restaurants do not need to reduce their intake of foods that are high in cholesterol.

(C) It presupposes that the popularity of restaurants that specialize in steaks is a result of a decrease in the price of beef.

(D) It mistakes the correlation of the decline in beef consumption and the decline in the restaurant industry for a causal relation.

(E) It fails to consider whether the people who patronize steak restaurants have heeded the health officials by reducing their cholesterol intake in their at-home diets.

Attachment:
health.jpg
health.jpg [ 170.97 KiB | Viewed 4361 times ]

Originally posted by vjsharma25 on 22 Mar 2011, 04:34.
Last edited by Bunuel on 08 May 2018, 23:41, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge
Re: Health officials now recommend that people reduce their intake of food  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 04:59
The arg is confusing correlation with causation. Its D
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
Re: Health officials now recommend that people reduce their intake of food  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 11:15
E-

The conclusion assumes that by restaurants specializing in steak flourishing, the patrons of these restaurants are not following the health recommendations.

Answer E would weaken the arguement as it provides an alternate way in which people who eat at these restaurants might be reducing their cholesterol
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 11:32
i think the answer is E

people are decreasing the intake of red meat because of wanting to take care of health.
however there is a restaurant selling so many beef to its customers everyday. thus those customers do not care of their health at all.

the text just says that people are reducing eating meat but it doesnt say that people stopped eating meat

E says they just eat meat in restaurant but they dont eat meat at home. this means that those customers are really reducing the intake of meat and they do care of their health
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 21:24
Good work diebeatsthegmat and rros0770.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 22:39
So D is wrong since it's attacking the premise than the conclusion. Isn't it?? otherwise d is very strong contender. I mark the keywords "decline" and indicate. So the premise seems to be imply causality when it should be correlation.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '14 (A)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2011, 06:40
Hi Gmat1220-

In my interpretation of the arguement, the author is not trying to link or correlate the decline in beef consumption to the decline in the restaurant industry. These are presented as two seperate events, with essentially a paradox between them (if beef consumption is down, why are steakhouses flourishing while the rest of the restaurant industry declines?).

I think the error with choice D is misinterpretting that the author has blamed the decline of the restaurant industry on declining beef consumption/health officials. The author does not attempt to correlate or present a causal relationship between these two events.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2011, 19:46
Answer choice E weakens the argument's conclusion by giving a reasoning as to why the steak restaurants are flourishing and at the same time the people adhering to the reduction in meat consumption by not having meat at home. This effectively proves the reduction in meat intake.
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2011, 00:11
I chose E
which is correct.
However i need some help understanding the implications of choice D.
Cant we interpret choice D as "The author expects a causal relationship between the recommendation of the HEalth officials and the decline in sales of meat by the restaurants if people are following the recommendation of the health officials."
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2011, 20:53
Choice E exactly says that the patrons who go to steak restaurant whether have necessarily to reduce their meat assumption at home => weaken the conclusion which states that patrons at steak restaurant ignore health officials recommendations

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2012, 00:10
E is the best one here. It weakens the conclusion that there are a lot of people who ignore the health recommendation by stating that these people have steak in the restaurants but reduce the amount of meat in their diets at home. Thus, the total amount of meat eaten is less and they are thus, taking care of their health.

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2012, 03:41
The conclusion assumes that by restaurants specializing in steak flourishing, the patrons of these restaurants are not following the health recommendations.Answer E would weaken the arguement as it provides an alternate way in which people who eat at these restaurants might be reducing their cholesterol..
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2015, 07:07
[quote="vjsharma25"][/quote]

Is E.
It weakens the statement that ppl are not following health recommendations.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 10:57
i have a minor doubt here;

In questions that have options like such as these, that ask to find the criticism and which options are overlooked or not overlooked by the narrator, do we still stick to the conclusion?? i mean are we still to find an option that weakens the conclusion or just find an assumption??
because i narrowed down to B, D and E. I eliminated D on grounds that it does not cater to the conclusion and we are to find an option that criticizes the thought that "people are not conscious about their health." We are to find an option that says that "people are conscious about their health".
For eliminating B, I said this to myself;
how does it matter if the author assumes that the people reduce their cholestrol by consuming less cholestrol food. As long as they are not conscious about their health, the option doesnt hold good.
and lastly, E just about weakens the conclusion that people are conscious by substituting their intake.

experts help would be great!!!
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 07:38
Bumping for further discussion

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Health officials now recommend that people reduce their intake of food   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2019, 07:38

Health officials now recommend that people reduce their intake of food

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics