GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HEC Paris Class of 2015 Jan Intake - calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: HEC Paris MBA 2014 January Intake - calling all applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2013, 02:37
got2domba wrote:
MichelleMBA201309 wrote:
got2domba wrote:
Need some urgent help.
In the online application form, i have entered my current employment details in the "Professional Experience" section.

However, am unable to locate any section to enter my "previous" employer details.

Your urgent help is much appreciated !!

Regards,

Hi

There is no "previous employers" section.
I think what the admission team meant was "you can write about your previous employer in the provided application link".
Basically, you have three places to put the information:
1, your CV/resume - mandatory
2,given topic essays: there are several essays you can talk about your previous experiences
3, last open essay: you can write almost what you want here.:)

Hope it helps.

Good luck.

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks a lot MichelleMBA201309 and Aux 778 !!
Guess that's how it is supposed to be; i will mention about the same in the optional essay.

I just got an email from HEC saying that I was not pre-selected for the interviews. Little disappointed as earlier in my profile evaluation they had encouraged me to apply and said that I was a good candidate for their program. Any one here had similar experience? I hope I'm provided a reason for my rejection.
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '15

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2013, 20:00
AUX778 wrote:
I just got an email from HEC saying that I was not pre-selected for the interviews. Little disappointed as earlier in my profile evaluation they had encouraged me to apply and said that I was a good candidate for their program. Any one here had similar experience? I hope I'm provided a reason for my rejection.

Sorry to hear about that Aux778. Wish you all the very best in your other MBA apps.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2013, 10:01
Hello,

Just wanted to thank everybody for the valuable inputs I could find here.
This was very helpful for my application.

I applied on June 1rst and got the confirmation of the admission only today. I had to call myself because I have never received the results on the admissions jury (neither on the HEC website nor on my mailbox - seems to be a bug in the system). Got a depressing week end but I guess I appreciate even more now that I know that I am admitted. So relieved !!!!

See you in January guys !!

To answer the question related to the fact someone can be not pre selected despite of a quite positive the candidate profile, I would say that the candidate profile is just a rough estimate. The essays, for example, are a big part of the decision as it clearly shows your project and your motivation. I know I spent a lot of time on my essays (3hours per day during 2 months) in order to make sure I have a consistent project (this was also good for me as I had to be clear about what I wanted).
This is possible that they didn't find what they wanted in your essays

It is not because you are denied once that you can't applied again. My interviewer told me he was denied a first time at the interview stage but decided to analyze what went wrong and applied again (He is now CFO of a top company).
If you know this is what you want to do, keep trying.

Cheers,
Nico
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.44
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2013, 10:40
bnico1 wrote:
Hello,

Just wanted to thank everybody for the valuable inputs I could find here.
This was very helpful for my application.

I applied on June 1rst and got the confirmation of the admission only today. I had to call myself because I have never received the results on the admissions jury (neither on the HEC website nor on my mailbox - seems to be a bug in the system). Got a depressing week end but I guess I appreciate even more now that I know that I am admitted. So relieved !!!!

See you in January guys !!

To answer the question related to the fact someone can be not pre selected despite of a quite positive the candidate profile, I would say that the candidate profile is just a rough estimate. The essays, for example, are a big part of the decision as it clearly shows your project and your motivation. I know I spent a lot of time on my essays (3hours per day during 2 months) in order to make sure I have a consistent project (this was also good for me as I had to be clear about what I wanted).
This is possible that they didn't find what they wanted in your essays

It is not because you are denied once that you can't applied again. My interviewer told me he was denied a first time at the interview stage but decided to analyze what went wrong and applied again (He is now CFO of a top company).
If you know this is what you want to do, keep trying.

Cheers,
Nico

congrats Nico!

welcome to the club :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 00:13
Admitted to J14 batch !! :-D

Is there any group (facebook / linkedin / ..) for J14 admits ?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 00:25
got2domba wrote:
Admitted to J14 batch !! :-D

Is there any group (facebook / linkedin / ..) for J14 admits ?

Congrats!

few of us from Jan intake have a group on whatsapp.. PM me your number and I will add you.
There is no separate official group for Jan intake on FB or LinkedIn... we all are in the Sept Intake group as of now.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2013, 16:14
Hi Zedzu/all,

It's been a week since admission confirmation, however I still haven't recd the admit letter (hard copy)
Normally, how long did it take for you all ?

Also did anyone hear a word on the scholarships. Per HEC, the decision was supposed to come through by yest afternoon (CET). Nothing as yet.

Regards,
Got2domba
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2013, 19:09
got2domba wrote:
Hi Zedzu/all,

It's been a week since admission confirmation, however I still haven't recd the admit letter (hard copy)
Normally, how long did it take for you all ?

Also did anyone hear a word on the scholarships. Per HEC, the decision was supposed to come through by yest afternoon (CET). Nothing as yet.

Regards,
Got2domba

Hey,

The official letter will take some time.
You will receive a dhl alert fr tracking when they dispatch it.
You can write to them about scholarships, I got the reply on the specific date that they had mentioned.
Do note that right now a lot of people go on leave as it is summer time.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2013, 08:51
Hi All - I got accepted to the Jan 2014 program @ HEC as well :-D

Re stats - 6yr experience in finance + GMAT of 650 (I only did 1 whole exam in my life - i.e. the one on which I got 650)

Interviews were almost 1.5 hours each - both went on really well - I'd say 10 out of 10

Let me know re any questions and I'd be happy to join any groups of those already admitted

Rgds,
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2013, 09:23
Can I know from the Indian accepts if a 7/10 GPA from Manipal University with entrepreneurial experience will make the cut?

I Plan to apply in Jan 2015, 6 months after graduation.
Intern
Intern
Re: HEC Paris Class of 2015 Jan Intake - calling all applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 14:53
I would love to understand why so many people are applying to HEC Paris MBA? According to Businessweek, HEC Paris MBA has the lowest acceptance rate (17%) and one of the highest average GMAT (690) of all MBA programmes in Europe. Why are non-French speaking candidates so interested about France instead of the UK, US, Australia or Asia? The French economy is one of the weakest in Europe and a degree from a French school is not recognized in most regions of the world. The average salaries of MBA graduates in France are lower than in most countries. French is a MUST to find a suitable job in France and French is one of the most difficult languages to learn. Even native French speakers with a regional accent (instead of the Paris one) are having trouble getting any respect. Just imagine someone trying to learn French during the MBA...

I'm very curious to hear about your motivations. I have to admit that I was very puzzled when I saw the admission stats from the HEC Paris MBA compared to INSEAD, IMD or LBS.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2013, 23:48
Hi,

Does HEC MBA consider GRE score instead of GMAT? If anyone got in with GRE score do let me know or please provide me any updates on the same. Thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2013, 20:57
mbaan wrote:
I would love to understand why so many people are applying to HEC Paris MBA? According to Businessweek, HEC Paris MBA has the lowest acceptance rate (17%) and one of the highest average GMAT (690) of all MBA programmes in Europe. Why are non-French speaking candidates so interested about France instead of the UK, US, Australia or Asia? The French economy is one of the weakest in Europe and a degree from a French school is not recognized in most regions of the world. The average salaries of MBA graduates in France are lower than in most countries. French is a MUST to find a suitable job in France and French is one of the most difficult languages to learn. Even native French speakers with a regional accent (instead of the Paris one) are having trouble getting any respect. Just imagine someone trying to learn French during the MBA...

I'm very curious to hear about your motivations. I have to admit that I was very puzzled when I saw the admission stats from the HEC Paris MBA compared to INSEAD, IMD or LBS.

Let me try, I don't know about the others but let me give my reasoning:
When I started looking for a school to do an MBA I had three things in my mind:
Non-english experience
Good opportunities in industry
World class Branding of a business school

I am from India and English is the acceptable professional and academic language here. Personally I always wanted to spend a couple of years or more in a non-english speaking country. It is purely a different cultural experience I am looking out for. An experience where I can have a complete cultural shock and make myself as uncomfortable as possible.

France has some of the world leading companies in various industries- Schneider, Alstom, Areva, Airbus, Dassault Aviation, Safran, Thales, Cassidian, etc. These are some very big names in their respective fields. Most of them are international and are known for recruiting international candidates. I know it because I have spoken to Alumni. Also, HEC Paris is closely associated with these industries. Insead and LBS on the other hand are focused more on consultancy/banking. These companies also have major operations in India. I would like to come back home after few years, so I become a perfect candidate for them too.

HEC Paris is consistently ranked as #1 business school in the world. MBA program is not as highly ranked because of several reasons, but it carries a strong brand whatsoever. Yes, if you ask a layman if he knows about HEC, he would say no. He would have just heard about Harvard or Wharton or LBS. All that's marketing. Anyone who has done research on business school would know HEC. I have spoken to a lot of people who did international MBA from Singapore, US, UK and all of them acknowledge the strong brand of HEC.

French economy is not the weakest, infact historically it has been second strongest in Europe (Germany being the first). It did go into recession but apparently came out of it in no time. I have been closely following them.

The average salaries of MBA graduates in France are lower than in most countries? I don't know how you got this data. If you got it through websites such as FT or even respective B school brochures, don't buy it. There is a huge catch - most of the salaries are reported 3 years after graduation and not the signing salary. Also, salary depends on region you live in. For example, within US itself people in California have much higher salary than their peers in Texas. But it doesn't matter cause they pay higher taxes and cost of living is also high. Salaries also depend on industries. Technology industries will not pay as high as consultancy. Consultancy will not pay as high as Financial or Sales. It is obvious HEC's average salary will be less than Insead or LBS. But if you compare it with candidates getting into similar industry, the salaries are pretty consistent worldwide. I know for my industry a fresh MBA graduate can get anywhere around 60,000 to 80,000 euros which is close to 100k USD.

French language is highly recommended, but it is not hard to learn. You need to give it some time. I have been learning it since last 2-3 months and I have learnt enough to survive the local life or do basic networking. But if you want a job in consultancy, sales, etc which requires customer interaction- you need to master French language. For jobs like strategy, project management, etc. intermediate level is good enough as most of the technology companies are international and they do business in English. Again, I know several alumni who have got a job in these companies and didn't know French.

Hope it helps! :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2013, 22:29
Hello,

I was admitted (January 2014 start) a few months back but never got around to posting anything on this forum. Is there a facebook/linkedin/etc group around to get familiar with each other and/or share information?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2013, 22:48
whoknows wrote:
Hello,

I was admitted (January 2014 start) a few months back but never got around to posting anything on this forum. Is there a facebook/linkedin/etc group around to get familiar with each other and/or share information?

Thanks in advance

Congrats on the admit!

Yes, there is an official Facebook group now.
I have PMed you the details.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 07:19
Hi, I'm preparing the application for the Master in Management at the HEC, have you got any tips for the essays ? I'm not sure about the first two ( personal achievement and failure). What do they mean with personal achievement ? I'm starting the third and last year of my first degree, so I have no work experience ( only an internship), so what am I supposed to write ? And what about the failing situation?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2013, 05:25
Hi there, I am admitted to the HEC Paris class commencing Jan 2014..

I applied in the Aug 15 round and got accepted today.

Need help about visa procedures, preparation in the next few months and moving to France.

Also, please PM me the facebook page for Jan 2014 intake class.

Thanks. Hope to see you there in Paris!

Sanjeev.
Indian guy in Japan for 8 yrs.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2013, 19:36
Hey,

I got admitted. Is there any facebook group specifically of Jan14 intake?

best,
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2013, 22:03
armandohcampos wrote:
Hey,

I got admitted. Is there any facebook group specifically of Jan14 intake?

best,

Congratulations on the admit! :D
Yeah, there is a Facebook page. You can either ask Mathieu to be added to the group, or PM me a link to your profile and I'll invite you to the group.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 04:30
I've been admitted to Jan 2014 intake too. See you guys in Jan.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HEC Paris Class of 2015 Jan Intake - calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2013, 04:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 103 posts ] 

HEC Paris Class of 2015 Jan Intake - calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sjas31