GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 16:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Hello, everyone my question about chances in Ivy League schools.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 710 Q57 V59
GPA: 3.5
Hello, everyone my question about chances in Ivy League schools.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 05:35
Hi, I am a Bachelor in Business Administration(BBA) guy passed my grad from Future Institute of Engineering and Management (FIEM) Kolkata, WB, INDIA. I scored 3.5 GPA. It is my wish to get admission in Top Ivy schools for MBA. I along with my studies started my own shop which is an Internet cafe shop which is running successfully for 4years helping many village people everyday.

My Questions are:
1. Will this experience be counted for MBA?
2. What I will write for short and long term goal, as I prefer to work for a consulting company (like Mckinsey)?
3.Will my startup adds value to my application?

Please kindly guide if there is any chance.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Hello, everyone my question about chances in Ivy League schools.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 09:47
Thanks for sharing some info about your background, answers below:

My Questions are:
Yes, this experience will be counted, I would say you will need to do more explaining than the typical applicant given this is more unique but certainly will count, as always the most important aspect when evaluating work experience is impact/results and interpersonal skills development (leadership/teamwork) so make sure your experiences reflect the importance of this

2. What I will write for short and long term goal, as I prefer to work for a consulting company (like Mckinsey)?
Then say that, just know you will really have to explain how your past work experience coupled with an MBA can make this a reality, given how non-traditional your work experience is

Sure if the experience has been meaningful for you and made an impact , if not then it will not. Having a startup on its won does not reflect much the impact it has had on you and others is the more important thing to consider

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 19:44
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Thanks for sharing some info about your background, answers below:

My Questions are:
Yes, this experience will be counted, I would say you will need to do more explaining than the typical applicant given this is more unique but certainly will count, as always the most important aspect when evaluating work experience is impact/results and interpersonal skills development (leadership/teamwork) so make sure your experiences reflect the importance of this

Then say that, just know you will really have to explain how your past work experience coupled with an MBA can make this a reality, given how non-traditional your work experience is

Sure if the experience has been meaningful for you and made an impact , if not then it will not. Having a startup on its won does not reflect much the impact it has had on you and others is the more important thing to consider

That's sure but I opened my shop with a very limited fund. At first nobody supported me not even my father but I had to convince him for the funds with a promise to give returns. Soon my shop turned out to be popular place for the village people. I come from a very interior village and there is a shortage of proper Internet cafes according to my market survey. Thus helping these poor villagers to fill up various forms, teaching children about computers as well as helping youths. This fulfils your queries about Leadership and Impact.

1.Another question is will my experience adds value to the class? Which schools I will apply?
2.How will I send my LORs because it is a shop I do not have supervisors to recommend? Should I explain it in my Essays?
ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
Re: Hello, everyone my question about chances in Ivy League schools.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 20:18
Hi bhshk94,

you have indeed a very interesting profile. I agree with all Veritas Prep answers.

To answer your new questions:

1. Another question is will my experience adds value to the class?

Of course. Your experience and your motivation to start your own business are quite unique. It will definitely add value to the class.

Which schools I will apply?

This is a tough one. You need to do your homework and get to know the schools. Each school is different so you need to choose a school where you feel you fit the most. But it would be wise to apply to four or five schools, and then decide once you have the acceptance letters.

2.How will I send my LORs because it is a shop I do not have supervisors to recommend? Should I explain it in my Essays?

You should choose for your LORs someone who knows you very well in a professional setting and who can speak about your managerial and leadership skills, and your potential for senior management. It could be a client, vendor, or anyone within the value chain of your business.

If you have a really hard time to find such person, it could also be from your academic experience, such as a professor. Just make sure the school you're applying to accepts this.

In any case, try to use the essays to explain your choice. Most likely there will be an optional essay that you can use to explain this.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck!

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +52 1 55 2702 0059
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: http://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Please, email us your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 20:24
alexruizlee wrote:
Hi bhshk94,

you have indeed a very interesting profile. I agree with all Veritas Prep answers.

To answer your new questions:

1. Another question is will my experience adds value to the class?

Of course. Your experience and your motivation to start your own business are quite unique. It will definitely add value to the class.

Which schools I will apply?

This is a tough one. You need to do your homework and get to know the schools. Each school is different so you need to choose a school where you feel you fit the most. But it would be wise to apply to four or five schools, and then decide once you have the acceptance letters.

You should choose for your LORs someone who knows you very well in a professional setting and who can speak about your managerial and leadership skills, and your potential for senior management. It could be a client, vendor, or anyone within the value chain of your business.

If you have a really hard time to find such person, it could also be from your academic experience, such as a professor. Just make sure the school you're applying to accepts this.

In any case, try to use the essays to explain your choice. Most likely there will be an optional essay that you can use to explain this.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck!

Thank you Sir. thanks a lot. Your advice gives me a lot of courage to apply :-D :-D :-D
Hello, everyone my question about chances in Ivy League schools. &nbs [#permalink] 22 Dec 2017, 20:24

Hello, everyone my question about chances in Ivy League schools.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap