Last visit was: 20 Sep 2024, 18:25 It is currently 20 Sep 2024, 18:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 849 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Help chosing schools [#permalink]
Expert Reply
abhijitp
Hi Linda,

Thanks for your response.

After my MBA I would like a job in Consulting. However, I would also not like to close out the option of returning to the technology industry on the business side. Given these preferences here are some of the schools that I am considering applying to:
HBS
Wharton
UCLA

What do you think of this list ?

I want to add three more to this list. Among the following schools which do you suggest:
GSB Chicago
MIT Sloan
Berkeley
Dartmouth
Virginia
Cornell

Do you think I am aiming too high ? I would like to limit my apps to 6 and given that constraint would it make sense for me to chose one school in the Trans Elite list, i.e. UTAustin or UNC Chapel Hill and only 2 from the list above ??

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Abhijit

I like your top 3 list. I would add Dartmouth, Darden, and MIT Sloan. If you have to drop one of your six in order to have a safety lower down the food chain, drop UCLA and add UT Austinor UNC.

Good luck!

Good luck!
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Linda,
Thanks so much again.

I have another question relating to deadlines.

How much difference does it make to apply in the 3rd round as compared to applying in the 2nd round ? Given the time constraints I feel I might have a better shot at putting together good applications in case I move some to the third round. Would that hurt my chances ?

Thanks !!
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
abhijitp
Hi Linda,
Thanks so much again.

I have another question relating to deadlines.

How much difference does it make to apply in the 3rd round as compared to applying in the 2nd round ? Given the time constraints I feel I might have a better shot at putting together good applications in case I move some to the third round. Would that hurt my chances ?

Thanks !!

It makes a difference, particularly if application volume increases. Last year there were a number of schools actively recruiting applications for their late round deadlines or even extending last deadlines. If this year is like last year, a late application will have less impact on your chances than in higher volume numbers when the schools are better able to fill their classes earlier in the application cycle. If volume increases markedly, then second round is significantly better than third round.

In addition it is harder for overseas students to obtain visas if they apply third round and it is harder for all third round applicants to obtain financial aid.

However a mediocre application is never a good idea and can also reduce your chances significantly. So it's hard to say which is better. If at all possible, put out the effort so that you submit top applications second round. Perhaps apply to two schools second round and two schools third round. Obviously, your favorites should be the applications submitted second round.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]