Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 17:48 It is currently 14 May 2024, 17:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [31]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65284 [8]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [3]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
Herman Pontzer did the first ever comparative measurements of the bone [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Approach - Which Vs Study --> the correct Modifier --> Not low hanging

The same as an Ape's vs Same as that of an Ape vs Same as that of an Ape's --> Meaning Derived --> Low hanging. Eliminated A and B.

It had an exceptional human pelvis? The study had??? --> D is out

'And Supported' What is this parallel too? The study that 'Showed' and 'Supported' --> Makes no sense.
E is out,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Herman Pontzer did the first ever comparative measurements of the bone [#permalink]
nemshah, how do we identify that it was study.. that showed ..and supported
I mean how do we know the 'supported'verb was for study or human pelvis?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Send PM
Re: Herman Pontzer did the first ever comparative measurements of the bone [#permalink]
I'm a bit confused with the usage of which in this sentence. Please Correct me if I'm wrong: Which is used as a modifier for a non-restrictive phrase and it adds more information about the preceding noun.

Will it modify the entire clause??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Herman Pontzer did the first ever comparative measurements of the bone [#permalink]
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma egmat kindly assist here with a thorough explanation.
Issue - usage of which and modifier issue
Thank you

Originally posted by devtashrey on 24 May 2021, 08:24.
Last edited by devtashrey on 24 May 2021, 09:44, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27 (Online)
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Gmatisking wrote:
Herman Pontzer did the first ever comparative measurements of the bone structure of variety of African apes, which showed that human bone structure is essentially the same as that of an ape’s, having the exception of human pelvis that in becoming shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped supported erect posture and efficient bipedal locomotion.

A. which showed that human bone structure is essentially the same as that of an ape’s, having the exception of human pelvis that in becoming shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped supported
B. which showing that human bone structure is essentially the same as an ape, showed the exception of human pelvis that became shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped, supporting
C. which showed that human bone structure is essentially the same as that of an ape, with the exception of human pelvis that has become shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped to support
D. a study showing that human bone structure is essentially the same as that of an ape, and it had an exceptional human pelvis that became shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped, supporting
E. a study that showed that human bone structure is essentially the same as an ape’s, the only exception being the human pelvis that became shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped and supported

GMATNinja
VeritasKarishma

I remember you had mentioned that which preceded by a comma will refer back to the nearest noun . As per OA which refers to apes. How is this correct? can you explain ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 350
Send PM
Which can refer to preceding noun?.
How is this ok to refer back to far away noun here.
egmat

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Can you please let me know if usage of "which" is correct here .
Also can we use "with" after comma ?

In one of the solutions i had read that usage of "with" after comma is not a good practise .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [2]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
For all those wondering about the usage of which in option C - Which here can refer back to measurements as there is no other optimal way to place of the bone structure of variety of African apes. Which ideally should refer to back to the nearest noun but this is not an airtight rule. Especially when used after a comma, the usage of which becomes highly contextual.

I'm no expert but there are only few rules of the english language that are black and white. (notice here that the that does not refer to language but to rules). Hope this helps! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Harshjha001 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Can you please let me know if usage of "which" is correct here .
Also can we use "with" after comma ?

In one of the solutions i had read that usage of "with" after comma is not a good practise .

Yes, use of 'which' is correct here.

Check this official question:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-she ... 50729.html

"the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were televised nationwide."
Hearings were televised nationwide so 'which' refers to hearings. "on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon" tells you which hearings.

When the noun is followed by prepositional phrases describing the noun, 'which' cannot follow the noun immediately. It still does refer back to the noun.
In the original sentence,
"measurements of the bone structure of variety of African apes, which showed that..."

Measurements showed... so 'which' refers to 'measurements'.

Also, no issues with "comma + with"
Check this official question:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/visitors-to- ... 51789.html

Thanks Karishma for clarifying. Now, It makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 337
Send PM
I think WHICH can refer back to pervious nouns by jumping over the prepositions. Here we have a series of OFs, that is, comparative measurements of the bone structure of variety of African apes
so which can jump over all these OFs and refer to the main noun (first of the series) - comparative measurements.

Hope this helps
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Gmatisking wrote:
Herman Pontzer did the first ever comparative measurements of the bone structure of variety of African apes, which showed that human bone structure is essentially the same as that of an ape’s, having the exception of human pelvis that in becoming shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped supported erect posture and efficient bipedal locomotion.

A. which showed that human bone structure is essentially the same as that of an ape’s, having the exception of human pelvis that in becoming shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped supported
supported isn't the right usage since pelvis still supports the erect position till date

B. which showing that human bone structure is essentially the same as an ape, showed the exception of human pelvis that became shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped, supporting
showing isn't the right usage since it has already occured the study is showcasing it's result coupled with the usage of showed after the xomma is errorneous which distorts the event timeline therefore out

C. which showed that human bone structure is essentially the same as that of an ape, with the exception of human pelvis that has become shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped to support
The tenses are perfect and the meaning too is perfect therefore let us hang on to it

D. a study showing that human bone structure is essentially the same as that of an ape, and it had an exceptional human pelvis that became shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped, supporting
which is required however let us not dwell deep into that and still consider some other better reason to eleminate the inclusion of it in the passage gives us a meaning as though the study had a pelvis which isn't the case it's human that had the pelvis therefore without further adeu let us kick it out

E. a study that showed that human bone structure is essentially the same as an ape’s, the only exception being the human pelvis that became shorter, broader, and more bowl shaped and supported
and supported isn't the right usage since it distorts the requisite meaning
Therefore IMO C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Real Estate)
Send PM
GMATNinja
Pleas help

I can bear with "which" rule but usage of "to support" in option C suggests that human pelvis has an in built intension to support erect posture. The intended meaning is not clearly conveyed.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts