Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [20]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [13]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [4]
Send PM
Re: Historians generally agree that, of the great modern innovations, the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I'll be honest with you. There is no secret trick to improve speed on the RC. It takes a lot of practice to improve speed while maintaining comprehension accuracy.

Why?
Reading speed is a natural skill - somewhat like typing speed. Some people type really fast while others take their time - when you force yourself to type faster than your natural speed you end up making more mistakes ( this is also the case with reading! ) and hence you need to improve by practice.

There are different types of readers - oral, auditory, visual - with varying style & hence speeds of reading. You can check your reading speed here. :-)

So as long as you are within the 2mins / question red-flag limit, you are doing good. Any improvement beyond that will only come from a sustained practice of reading tough literature ( ex. business articles, non-fiction books on science etc.)

Hope this helps. Feel free to tag back or drop a PM.

tarunanandani wrote:
Gladiator59, I too was able to get all the answers correct but it took me around 15 mins (including reading time) to do so.
Can you suggest some ways to improve speed in solving RCs?

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: Historians generally agree that, of the great modern innovations, the [#permalink]
Gladiator59 wrote:
6 mins 24 secs... and all correct. :-) Pretty good passage with straightforward questions.

I will pen down my thoughts about the questions in a later edit to this post.

Edit1: Adding answer explanations & summary.

Summary: Author has a negative tone towards Stilgoe's book and arguments.
The railroad has been the most impactful on major events in the USA during 18th and 19th century. Disagreements exist between cultural historians about public attitudes towards the railroad both during the inception and the half century that followed after it's major completion and when it reached its zenith of popularity. A recent book by John Stilgoe about this topic is discussed in the passage about how the argument presented therein regarding the romantic era mistrust towards the railroad is unfounded. The author goes on explaining that even the positive reaction of later authors in 1880 is also misleading. The author finally concludes saying reality is - "The point is that the sharp contrast between the enthusiastic supporters of the railroad in the 1830s and the minority of intellectual dissenters during that period extended into the 1880s and beyond."

Detail question and pretty straightforward with a few tricks. Essential to spot that it is an EXCEPT question!
Q1). The passage provides information to answer all of the following questions EXCEPT:

(A) During what period did the railroad reach the zenith of its popularity in the United States? Nah. Mentioned in the first para by the author
(B) How extensive was the impact of the railroad on the Industrial Revolution in the United States, relative to that of other modern innovations? Nah - easy discard. The first line of the passage.
(C) Who are some of the writers of the 1830s who expressed ambivalence toward the railroad? Also mentioned - Stilgoe didn't think so but the author mentions it.
(D) In what way could Stilgoe have strengthened his argument regarding intellectuals’ attitudes toward the railroad in the years after the 1880s? Discard. Mentioned in brackets in the last paragraph
(E) What arguments did the writers after the 1880s, as cited by Stilgoe, offer to justify their support for the railroad? CORRECT - no arguments of the authors are presented just their views ( as per the author and Stilgoe) are described

Detail question explained where romantic era distrust is explained as being wrongly interpreted by him by the author in the first lines of the second para
Q2). According to the author of the passage, Stilgoe uses the phrase “romantic-era distrust” (line 13) to imply that the view he is referring to was

(A) the attitude of a minority of intellectuals toward technological innovation that began after 1830 Opposite - this is the truth but this is not what Stilgoe was referring to!
(B) a commonly held attitude toward the railroad during the 1830s BINGO - this is exactly what the author says is incorrect and hence Stilgoe was referring to this.
(C) an ambivalent view of the railroad expressed by many poets and novelists between 1880 and 1930 Opposite and unrelated about the time when this view was held. Discard
(D) a critique of social and economic developments during the 1830s by a minority of intellectuals Opposite. What social and economic critique - discard. Stilgoe never thought the authors were thinking of anything other than the railroad itself.
(E) an attitude toward the railroad that was disseminated by works of popular culture after 1880 BS Option. Discard

Detail question - can be found in the third paragraph - the author thinks their writing was similar to previous authors mentioned in the second para
Q3). According to the author, the attitude toward the railroad that was reflected in writings of Henry James, Sinclair Lewis, and F. Scott Fitzgerald was

(A) influenced by the writings of Frank Norris, Eugene O’Neill, and Henry Adams BS option. Opposite. Discard
(B) similar to that of the minority of writers who had expressed ambivalence toward the railroad prior to the 1880s BINGO - this is exactly what we are looking for
(C) consistent with the public attitudes toward the railroad that were reflected in works of popular culture after the 1880s Discard. This is opposite to what the Stilgoe thought and irrelevant to the author's thinking as the author never agrees to the "romantic-era distrust" theory of Stilgoe
(D) largely a reaction to the works of writers who had been severely critical of the railroad in the 1830s Discard - no one was "severely" critical of the railroads
(E) consistent with the prevailing attitude toward the railroad during the 1830sTRAP - a prevailing attitude by who? It refers to the general public and this is wrong for the same reason as (C) above.

Another detail question which can be found in the author's explanation of Stilgoes second argument. In the third paragraph
Q4). It can be inferred from the passage that the author uses the phrase “works of popular culture” (line 41) primarily to refer to the

(A) work of a large group of writers that was published between 1880 and 1930 and that in Stilgoe’s view was highly critical of the railroad Opposite. Stilgoe refers to poplar culture for an entirely opposite reason. Discard
(B) work of writers who were heavily influenced by Hawthorne and Thoreau BS Option. Noone can be said to be heavily influenced by those two. Discard
(C) large volume of writing produced by Henry Adams, Sinclair Lewis, and Eugene O’Neill BS Option. Discard.
(D) work of journalists, novelists, and illustrators who were responsible for creating enthusiasm for the railroad during the 1830s TRAP - we are looking for the first few words but the last words are rrelevant and meaningless. Hence discard
(E) work of journalists, novelists, and illustrators that was published after 1880 and that has received little attention from scholars other than Stilgoe BINGO - exactly what we are looking for- author mentions the popular art as being fringe and no one other than Stilgoe refers to it.

Detail question. Second time the brackets portion in the passage is being referred to. Pretty easy to spot... NOTE: INference type so we need 100% support for the same from the passage either direct or implied
Q5). Which one of the following can be inferred from the passage regarding the work of Frank Norris, Eugene O’Neill, and Henry Adams?

(A) Their work never achieved broad popular appeal. Nah. Cannot infer this from the passage
(B) Their ideas were disseminated to a large audience by the popular culture of the early 1800s. Nah. Cannot infer. Almost a BS Option.
(C) Their work expressed a more positive attitude toward the railroad than did that of Henry James, Sinclair Lewis, and F. Scott Fitzgerald. Opposite. The author implies exactly opposite of this is true. Discard.
(D) Although they were primarily novelists, some of their work could be classified as journalism. BS option. completely irrelevant to the discussion. Discard
(E) Although they were influenced by Thoreau, their attitude toward the railroad was significantly different from his. Discard. Noone can be said to have influenced anyone else. The second time this wrong option appears in the questions.

Detail question and one needs to understand the central theme to be able to answer this. Whatever author is saying Stilgoe is opposite to that.
Q6). It can be inferred from the passage that Stilgoe would be most likely to agree with which one of the following statements regarding the study of cultural history?

(A) It is impossible to know exactly what period historians are referring to when they use the term “romantic era.” WRONG- Stilgoe refers himself.
(B) The writing of intellectuals often anticipates ideas and movements that are later embraced by popular culture. The writing does not anticipate but rather reflect according to Stilgoe
(C) Writers who were not popular in their own time tell us little about the age in which they lived. Opposite is true as believed by Stilgoe
(D) The works of popular culture can serve as a reliable indicator of public attitudes toward modern innovations like the railroad. BINGO - this is exactly the case at hand regarding the "romantic-era distrust" part as expressed by Stilgoe
(E) The best source of information concerning the impact of an event as large as the Industrial Revolution is the private letters and journals of individuals. BS option- discard

Finally main point question.
Q7). The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) evaluate one scholar’s view of public attitudes toward the railroad in the United States from the early nineteenth to the early twentieth century BINGO - as highlighted by me, the evaluation of Stilgoes work is the main idea
(B) review the treatment of the railroad in American literature of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries Too broad to be the main point also out of scope as we are only looking at one book
(C) survey the views of cultural historians regarding the railroad’s impact on major events in United States history Survey word is used. Discard. The author does not survey anything
(D) explore the origins of the public support for the railroad that existed after the completion of a national rail system in the United States Nah. "origins of public transport" too wild.. we are only talking about railroads.
(E) define what historians mean when they refer to the “romantic-era distrust” of the railroad Too detailed to be the main point. Discard.

Phew. Took me over 30 mins to write the explanations down. It is one of those passages that is difficult to explain due to a lot of implicit references and two different point of views ( Stilgoe & that of the author) throughout.

Gladiator59

Can you make a video doing the passage, like verbally, It would be really helpful to know how you are comprehending and taking notes in a real question taking mindset, would help the slow reader or the guys struggling with acuracy or both

Also Q5

Q5). Which one of the following can be inferred from the passage regarding the work of Frank Norris, Eugene O’Neill, and Henry Adams?

(A) Their work never achieved broad popular appeal. Nah. Cannot infer this from the passage
(B) Their ideas were disseminated to a large audience by the popular culture of the early 1800s. Nah. Cannot infer. Almost a BS Option.
(C) Their work expressed a more positive attitude toward the railroad than did that of Henry James, Sinclair Lewis, and F. Scott Fitzgerald. Opposite. The author implies exactly opposite of this is true. Discard.
(D) Although they were primarily novelists, some of their work could be classified as journalism. BS option. completely irrelevant to the discussion. Discard
(E) Although they were influenced by Thoreau, their attitude toward the railroad was significantly different from his. Discard. Noone can be said to have influenced anyone else. The second time this wrong option appears in the questions.

you eliminated all of the choices?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
prototypevenom, Thanks for pointing out! Glad someone is reading the TLDR posts :-D

Looks like I got carried away in the long post and hence ended up discarding everything. What happens when you write such a long post is sometimes you mix things up and often you cannot proof-read what you write ( due to it being TLDR ;-) )

About your suggestion regarding making videos - I think it makes more sense to write thoughts down than making visual cues. The first skill to solve RCs is a knack to read without getting fatigued. The fact that you are reading my posts is propelling you closer to that goal. :-)

On a serious note - it is a good suggestion but I do not see myself making video solutions anytime soon mainly due to time constraints.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Gladiator59 wrote:
prototypevenom, Thanks for pointing out! Glad someone is reading the TLDR posts :-D

Looks like I got carried away in the long post and hence ended up discarding everything. What happens when you write such a long post is sometimes you mix things up and often you cannot proof-read what you write ( due to it being TLDR ;-) )

About your suggestion regarding making videos - I think it makes more sense to write thoughts down than making visual cues. The first skill to solve RCs is a knack to read without getting fatigued. The fact that you are reading my posts is propelling you closer to that goal. :-)

On a serious note - it is a good suggestion but I do not see myself making video solutions anytime soon mainly due to time constraints.

Haha I am always reading the answers even if I got the questions right, might learn a thing or two.

I agree to that, but since I have been using a technique earlier which got my accuracy low, thinking Rc's isn't for me to 60-70% accuracy (in practise not in mocks though) which was based on my earlier tutor I believe I still can improve by learning what I am doing wrong when I see someone doing something, instead of being taught, being good observer. I'll pm you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I have a doubt regarding Q7. Stilgoe talks about only the attitudes of the writers. How is it correct to say that the primary purpose is to evaluate one scholar’s view of public attitudes toward the railroad in the United States?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32927 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
DiyaDutta wrote:
I have a doubt regarding Q7. Stilgoe talks about only the attitudes of the writers. How is it correct to say that the primary purpose is to evaluate one scholar’s view of public attitudes toward the railroad in the United States?

Please read this post (in below link) it may help you

https://gmatclub.com/forum/historians-g ... l#p2200756

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 707 [2]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone,
Got 5/7 correct here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P1

Here the author wants to analyze the impact of the railroad system in a given period of time and the attitudes of historians to such phenomenon. The author then proceeds by presenting Stilgoe as an example of scholar who thought that some attitudes typical of 1830 disappeared after 1880. Lastly the author discards this view by saying that it is unconvincing.

Purpose: The purpose of this paragraph is to introduce the main topic, that is the different attitudes toward the railroad system between 1830 and 1930, presenting Stilgoe's view and rejecting it

P2

In paragraph 2 we are given Stilgoe's view and that view is linked with a couple of scholars who appreciated the improvements related to the railroads but did not like the consequences on the social and economical side. Lastly the author disregards the view according to which this view represented the view of the majority of people.

Purpose: The purpose of this paragraph is to detail Stilgoe's view and to reject another of his beliefs

P3

In this paragraph the author undermines another of Stilgoe's beliefs: that the ambivalence towards railroads ended in the 1880s. The author then proceeds to weakening the evidence used by Stilgoe to make his point. Lastly the author claims that the ambivalence continued even after the 1880s.

Purpose: The purpose of this paragraph is to undermine Stilgoe's belief according to which ambivalence towards railroads stopped in the 1880s

Main point

The main point of this passage is to evaluate the public attitudes toward the railroad system between 1830 and 1930, undermining the point of view of a scholar.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q1). The passage provides information to answer all of the following questions EXCEPT:

Pre-thinking

Detail question

We need to evaluate the single choices

(A) During what period did the railroad reach the zenith of its popularity in the United States?
Mentioned in P1

(B) How extensive was the impact of the railroad on the Industrial Revolution in the United States, relative to that of other modern innovations?
Historians generally agree that, of the great modern innovations, the railroad had the most far-reaching impact on major events in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, particularly on the Industrial Revolution.

(C) Who are some of the writers of the 1830s who expressed ambivalence toward the railroad?
Mentioned in P2

(D) In what way could Stilgoe have strengthened his argument regarding intellectuals’ attitudes toward the railroad in the years after the 1880s?
Mentioned in the last paragraph

(E) What arguments did the writers after the 1880s, as cited by Stilgoe, offer to justify their support for the railroad?
Not mentioned

Q2). According to the author of the passage, Stilgoe uses the phrase “romantic-era distrust” (line 13) to imply that the view he is referring to was

Pre-thinking

Detail question

From P2: In addition, Stilgoe is wrong to imply that the critical attitude of these writers was typical of the period:

(A) the attitude of a minority of intellectuals toward technological innovation that began after 1830
Not mentioned

(B) a commonly held attitude toward the railroad during the 1830s
In line with pre-thinking

(C) an ambivalent view of the railroad expressed by many poets and novelists between 1880 and 1930
Not mentioned

(D) a critique of social and economic developments during the 1830s by a minority of intellectuals
Not mentioned

(E) an attitude toward the railroad that was disseminated by works of popular culture after 1880
Not mentioned

Q3). According to the author, the attitude toward the railroad that was reflected in writings of Henry James, Sinclair Lewis, and F. Scott Fitzgerald was

Pre-thinking

Detail question

From the last paragraph: and, oddly, much of Stilgoe’s other evidence indicates that it did. When he glances at the treatment of railroads by writers like Henry James, Sinclair Lewis, or F. Scott Fitzgerald, what comes through in spite of Stilgoe’s analysis is remarkably like Thoreau’s feeling of contrariety and ambivalence.

Clearly the author thinks that such usage is counterproductive when Stilgoe is trying to make his/her point

(A) influenced by the writings of Frank Norris, Eugene O’Neill, and Henry Adams
out of scope

(B) similar to that of the minority of writers who had expressed ambivalence toward the railroad prior to the 1880s

(C) consistent with the public attitudes toward the railroad that were reflected in works of popular culture after the 1880s
out of scope

(D) largely a reaction to the works of writers who had been severely critical of the railroad in the 1830s
out of scope

(E) consistent with the prevailing attitude toward the railroad during the 1830s
out of scope

Q4). It can be inferred from the passage that the author uses the phrase “works of popular culture” (line 41) primarily to refer to the

Pre-thinking

Inference question

Here is the interested portion of P3: Stilgoe has unearthed an impressive volume of material, the work of hitherto unknown illustrators, journalists, and novelists, all devotees of the railroad; but it is not clear what this new material proves except perhaps that the works of popular culture greatly expanded at the time.

(A) work of a large group of writers that was published between 1880 and 1930 and that in Stilgoe’s view was highly critical of the railroad
Incorrect

(B) work of writers who were heavily influenced by Hawthorne and Thoreau
Incorrect

(C) large volume of writing produced by Henry Adams, Sinclair Lewis, and Eugene O’Neill
Incorrect

(D) work of journalists, novelists, and illustrators who were responsible for creating enthusiasm for the railroad during the 1830s

(E) work of journalists, novelists, and illustrators that was published after 1880 and that has received little attention from scholars other than Stilgoe
not the purpose

Pre-thinking

Inference question

From last P: Had he looked at the work of Frank Norris, Eugene O’Neill, or Henry Adams, Stilgoe’s case would have been much stronger.)

Clearly the author thinks that such authors were more in line than others with Stilgoe's point of view

(A) Their work never achieved broad popular appeal.
Irrelevant

(B) Their ideas were disseminated to a large audience by the popular culture of the early 1800s.
Irrelevant

(C) Their work expressed a more positive attitude toward the railroad than did that of Henry James, Sinclair Lewis, and F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Yes, the author uses these authors in opposition to the authors previously mentioned

(D) Although they were primarily novelists, some of their work could be classified as journalism.
Irrelevant

(E) Although they were influenced by Thoreau, their attitude toward the railroad was significantly different from his.
Irrelevant

Q6). It can be inferred from the passage that Stilgoe would be most likely to agree with which one of the following statements regarding the study of cultural history?

Pre-thinking

Inference question

[b]Let's evaluate the options

[/b]

(A) It is impossible to know exactly what period historians are referring to when they use the term “romantic era.”
Too extreme

(B) The writing of intellectuals often anticipates ideas and movements that are later embraced by popular culture.
Cannot be inferred

(C) Writers who were not popular in their own time tell us little about the age in which they lived.
Cannot be inferred

(D) The works of popular culture can serve as a reliable indicator of public attitudes toward modern innovations like the railroad.
Since Stilgoe thinks that his belief was embraced by the majority of people it makes sense to infer this statement

(E) The best source of information concerning the impact of an event as large as the Industrial Revolution is the private letters and journals of individuals.
too extreme

Q7). The primary purpose of the passage is to

Pre-thinking

Main point question

The main point of this passage is to evaluate the public attitudes toward the railroad system between 1830 and 1930, undermining the point of view of a scholar.

(A) evaluate one scholar’s view of public attitudes toward the railroad in the United States from the early nineteenth to the early twentieth century

(B) review the treatment of the railroad in American literature of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries
Incorrect

(C) survey the views of cultural historians regarding the railroad’s impact on major events in United States history
Incorrect

(D) explore the origins of the public support for the railroad that existed after the completion of a national rail system in the United States
Incorrect

(E) define what historians mean when they refer to the “romantic-era distrust” of the railroad
Incorrect

It is a great day to be alive!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32927 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nidhibatra wrote:
why d is incorrect in q4

­Explained here.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts