Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 19:38 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 19:38
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64939 [1]
Given Kudos: 1835
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64939 [0]

Send PM
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Question 4

harvinderkaurprep wrote:
GMATNinja -

For Question no.4, please let me know if the reasoning for choosing E is correct:

Both were able to set aside worries about historical anachronism in order to reach and inspire. - We know C. Vann wasn't able to put aside worries about historical anachronism because when the 2nd edition is released he clearly mentions his bias.

But for Paine we don't know if he did or did not care about historical anachronism since it is no where mentioned in the passage. Am I correct?

­Your explanation regarding Paine sounds good.

But Vann "reached and inspired" before the 2nd edition was released, so you'd have to apply the same argument to Vann, instead of concluding that Vann was not able to put aside worries about historical anachronism.

For more on this one, check out this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/historians-s ... l#p2011823
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 711
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
Send PM
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and [#permalink]
KarishmaB maa'm , Would you like to discuss question 1 , 2 , 5 and 6 ? MartyMurray

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 711
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
Send PM
Only hyperlink 1 is working. Rest are not working.
GMATNinja wrote:

Passage breakdown

In the first paragraph (P1), the author:

• Argues that history is not fixed.
  • Explains that “new pasts” can change interpretations and influence future events.

In the second paragraph, the author:

• Supports his/her argument in P1 by citing Woodward’s Jim Crow lectures.
  • Explains that these lectures challenged the “prevailing dogma” on segregation.

In the final paragraph, the author:

• Provides support for his/her argument in P1 by showing Woodward’s book affected future events (i.e. civil rights movement).
  • Suggests that Woodward saw “handicaps” in his work -- inaccuracies caused by writing too close to the time he wrote about.

For more on the process of breaking down RC passages, check out this article and our live RC videos.

Explanations for individual questions

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1456
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
Somebody please help with Q3. I didn't understand the meaning of handicaps even when I read the passage. Please somebody explain the meaning in the passage. Also in the last question, please explain why A is wrong.

Quote:
3. Which of the following is the best example of writing that is likely to be subject to the kinds of “handicaps” referred to in line 27?

(A) A history of an auto manufacturing plant written by an employee during an auto-buying boom
(B) A critique of a statewide school-desegregation plan written by an elementary school teacher in that state
(C) A newspaper article assessing the historical importance of a United States President written shortly after the President has taken office
(D) A scientific paper describing the benefits of a certain surgical technique written by the surgeon who developed the technique
(E) Diary entries narrating the events of a battle written by a soldier who participated in the battle

Quote:
Ten years later, in a preface to the second revised edition, Woodward confessed with ironic modesty that the first edition “had begun to suffer under some of the handicaps that might be expected in a history of the American Revolution published in 1776.”

In this sentence, a "handicap" is a challenge or an obstacle (i.e. "A fear of public speaking is a severe handicap to anyone running for public office.").
In 1776, the American Revolution was in its early stages. It would be difficult to write a history of a revolution while the revolution is still in its early stages. It would be easier to write such a history after the revolution so that you could look back and get the full picture.

Similarly, it would be difficult to assess the historical importance of a US President shortly after that President has taken office (and yes, I'm biting my tongue in a desperate effort keep this forum politically neutral). It would be easier to assess the historical importance of a President after that President's term is over. Hence, choice (C) is the best option.

Quote:
6. Which of the following best describes the new idea expressed by C. Vann Woodward in his University of Virginia lectures in 1954?

(A) Southern racial segregation was continuous and uniform.
(B) Black people made considerable progress only after Reconstruction.
(C) Jim Crow legislation was conventional in nature.
(D) Jim Crow laws did not go as far in codifying traditional practice as they might have.
(E) Jim Crow laws did much more than merely reinforce a tradition of segregation.

As for the last question, refer to the following portion: "In the fall of 1954, for example, C. Vann Woodward delivered a lecture series at the University of Virginia which challenged the prevailing dogma concerning the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation in the South."

Woodward challenged the idea that racial segregation in the South was continuous and uniform. Choice (A) represents the "prevailing dogma" that Woodward challenged, not Woodward's new idea.

I hope that helps!

In Q 3 ­How did u know that the it was early stage of revolution that Painne had published the srticle
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and [#permalink]
Hey experts GMATNinja, ChiranjeevSingh, KarishmaB, I'm sorry, having gone through all the explanations still unable to come to terms with Question-2.

If prevailing dogma is "Jim Crow laws codified traditional practice" and CVW says exactly the same i.e. "Jim Crow laws not only codified traditional practice but also...." then where is the challenge?

Isn't CVW also just reinstating the prevailing dogma and not challenging it?

It's like A saying : Hey, it is warm today and B saying : Hey, it is not only warm but also very humid".

Essentially A & B both agree on it being a warm day, just that B says its additionally humid besides being warm. I don't see how CVW has challenged the prevailing dogma.­
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Question 2

chiplesschap wrote:
I'm sorry, having gone through all the explanations still unable to come to terms with Question-2.

If prevailing dogma is "Jim Crow laws codified traditional practice" and CVW says exactly the same i.e. "Jim Crow laws not only codified traditional practice but also...." then where is the challenge?

Isn't CVW also just reinstating the prevailing dogma and not challenging it?

It's like A saying : Hey, it is warm today and B saying : Hey, it is not only warm but also very humid".

Essentially A & B both agree on it being a warm day, just that B says its additionally humid besides being warm. I don't see how CVW has challenged the prevailing dogma.­

­Fair point, but the "but also" part of CVW's view is significant enough to constitute a challenge.

According to the prevailing dogma, the laws codified traditional practice (stuff that was already going on). The implications of that were presumably significant (though the passage doesn't get into that). Regardless, this is a pretty limited view of the laws and their impact.

CVW, on the other hand, argued that these laws were NOT just a simple codification of stuff that was already going on. Instead, the laws were a determined effort to erase the considerable progress made by Black people during and after Reconstruction in the 1870’s. That's a pretty bold and damning allegation, and it's enough to constitute a challenge to someone who does NOT believe the "but also" part.

In other words, if Person A believes that the laws WERE a determined effort to erase the progress made by Black people and Person B believes the laws were NOT a determined effort to erase the progress made by Black people, Person A and Person B are certainly not in agreement about these laws and their impact. And it's fair to say that Person A's view is a challenge to Person B's view, even if they agree on certain aspects of the laws and their impacts.

Again, that is certainly a confusing aspect of the passage (maybe that's why it was cut from the OG over 20 years ago!), so don't lose too much sleep over it. But (A) is our best option, as explained here and here.

I hope that helps!­
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
Carolweszxdrcftvb wrote:
In Q 3 ­How did u know that the it was early stage of revolution that Painne had published the srticle

­Check out this post if you haven't already, and let us know if you still have questions!­
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7048 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14003 posts