GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 09:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     December 15, 2018

     December 15, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Oct 2017
Posts: 248
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 09:50
1
papasmurf wrote:
I don't understand why the OA for question 4 isn't option D. That particular portion is even referenced in the passage!

it is an except-question so all answers that are mentioned in the passage are incorrect answers. You need to pay close attention to the questions.


Another topic:

GMATNinja, could you please explain question 2? According to the statistics this is the question that most students struggle with.
_________________

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1066
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 22:44
5. The attitude of the author of the passage toward the work of C. Vann Woodward is best described as one of

(A) respectful regard
(B) qualified approbation
(C) implied skepticism
(D) pointed criticism
(E) fervent advocacy

Hi GMATNinja,

I am confused between A and B in question 5.
I understood the reasoning behind eliminating C,D and E but not for eliminating B .

Can you please delineate these to options and how to eliminate B
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jan 2017
Posts: 10
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 20:42
Can someone explain question 6.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 May 2018
Posts: 14
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 18:06
Need help with Q2 .
According to C. Vann ..Jim crow laws codified traditional practice + effort to erase progress made by black people..

He challenged prevailing dogma when he said this.

So should'nt the prevailing dogma be that jim crows law were passed for uniformity and maintain order ... i.e. option B

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2016
Posts: 1
Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 22:58
RaviChandra wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: RC 129 ~ 134
Page: 390

Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and experienced before it is studied, interpreted, and read. These latter activities have their own history, of course, which may impinge in unexpected ways on public events. It is difficult to predict when “new pasts” will overturn established historical interpretations and change the course of history.

In the fall of 1954, for example, C. Vann Woodward delivered a lecture series at the University of Virginia which challenged the prevailing dogma concerning the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation in the South. He argued that the Jim Crow laws of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries not only codified traditional practice but also were a determined effort to erase the considerable progress made by Black people during and after Reconstruction in the 1870’s. This revisionist view of Jim Crow legislation grew in part from the research that Woodward had done for the NAACP legal campaign during its preparation for Brown v. Board of Education. The Supreme Court had issued its ruling in this epochal desegregation case a few months before Woodward’s lectures.

The lectures were soon published as a book, The Strange Career of Jim Crow. Ten years later, in a preface to the second revised edition, Woodward confessed with ironic modesty that the first edition “had begun to suffer under some of the handicaps that might be expected in a history of the American Revolution published in 1776.” That was a bit like hearing Thomas Paine apologize for the timing of his pamphlet Common Sense, which had a comparable impact. Although Common Sense also had a mass readership, Paine had intended to reach and inspire: he was not a historian, and thus not concerned with accuracy or the dangers of historical anachronism. Yet, like Paine, Woodward had an unerring sense of the revolutionary moment, and of how historical evidence could undermine the mythological tradition that was crushing the dreams of new social possibilities. Martin Luther King, Jr., testified to the profound effect of The Strange Career of Jim Crow on the civil rights movement by praising the book and quoting it frequently.


1. The “new pasts” mentioned in line 6 can best be described as the

(A) occurrence of events extremely similar to past events
(B) history of the activities of studying, interpreting, and reading new historical writing
(C) change in people’s understanding of the past due to more recent historical writing
(D) overturning of established historical interpretations by politically motivated politicians
(E) difficulty of predicting when a given historical interpretation will be overturned



2. It can be inferred from the passage that the “prevailing dogma” (line 10) held that

(A) Jim Crow laws were passed to give legal status to well-established discriminatory practices in the South
(B) Jim Crow laws were passed to establish order and uniformity in the discriminatory practices of different southern states
(C) Jim Crow laws were passed to erase the social gains that Black people had achieved since Reconstruction
(D) the continuity of racial segregation in the South was disrupted by passage of Jim Crow laws
(E) the Jim Crow laws of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were passed to reverse the effect of earlier Jim Crow laws



3. Which of the following is the best example of writing that is likely to be subject to the kinds of “handicaps” referred to in line 27?

(A) A history of an auto manufacturing plant written by an employee during an auto-buying boom
(B) A critique of a statewide school-desegregation plan written by an elementary school teacher in that state
(C) A newspaper article assessing the historical importance of a United States President written shortly after the President has taken office
(D) A scientific paper describing the benefits of a certain surgical technique written by the surgeon who developed the technique
(E) Diary entries narrating the events of a battle written by a soldier who participated in the battle



4. The passage suggests that C. Vann Woodward and Thomas Paine were similar in all of the following ways EXCEPT:

(A) Both had works published in the midst of important historical events.
(B) Both wrote works that enjoyed widespread popularity.
(C) Both exhibited an understanding of the relevance of historical evidence to contemporary issues.
(D) The works of both had a significant effect on events following their publication.
(E) Both were able to set aside worries about historical anachronism in order to reach and inspire.



5. The attitude of the author of the passage toward the work of C. Vann Woodward is best described as one of

(A) respectful regard
(B) qualified approbation
(C) implied skepticism
(D) pointed criticism
(E) fervent advocacy



6. Which of the following best describes the new idea expressed by C. Vann Woodward in his University of Virginia lectures in 1954?

(A) Southern racial segregation was continuous and uniform.
(B) Black people made considerable progress only after Reconstruction.
(C) Jim Crow legislation was conventional in nature.
(D) Jim Crow laws did not go as far in codifying traditional practice as they might have.
(E) Jim Crow laws did much more than merely reinforce a tradition of segregation.



For Q 6. He argued that "the Jim Crow laws of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries not only codified traditional practice but also were a determined effort to erase the considerable progress made by Black people during and after Reconstruction in the 1870’s"(Jim Crow laws did much more than merely reinforce a tradition of segregation). He did not only X but also Y. So codifying was only one part, it erased gains of reconstruction was another. Option E says that.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Feb 2018
Posts: 41
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 05:35
GMATNinja wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
Somebody please help with Q3. I didn't understand the meaning of handicaps even when I read the passage. Please somebody explain the meaning in the passage. Also in the last question, please explain why A is wrong.

Quote:
3. Which of the following is the best example of writing that is likely to be subject to the kinds of “handicaps” referred to in line 27?

(A) A history of an auto manufacturing plant written by an employee during an auto-buying boom
(B) A critique of a statewide school-desegregation plan written by an elementary school teacher in that state
(C) A newspaper article assessing the historical importance of a United States President written shortly after the President has taken office
(D) A scientific paper describing the benefits of a certain surgical technique written by the surgeon who developed the technique
(E) Diary entries narrating the events of a battle written by a soldier who participated in the battle

Quote:
Ten years later, in a preface to the second revised edition, Woodward confessed with ironic modesty that the first edition “had begun to suffer under some of the handicaps that might be expected in a history of the American Revolution published in 1776.”

In this sentence, a "handicap" is a challenge or an obstacle (i.e. "A fear of public speaking is a severe handicap to anyone running for public office.").
In 1776, the American Revolution was in its early stages. It would be difficult to write a history of a revolution while the revolution is still in its early stages. It would be easier to write such a history after the revolution so that you could look back and get the full picture.

Similarly, it would be difficult to assess the historical importance of a US President shortly after that President has taken office (and yes, I'm biting my tongue in a desperate effort keep this forum politically neutral). It would be easier to assess the historical importance of a President after that President's term is over. Hence, choice (C) is the best option.

Quote:
6. Which of the following best describes the new idea expressed by C. Vann Woodward in his University of Virginia lectures in 1954?

(A) Southern racial segregation was continuous and uniform.
(B) Black people made considerable progress only after Reconstruction.
(C) Jim Crow legislation was conventional in nature.
(D) Jim Crow laws did not go as far in codifying traditional practice as they might have.
(E) Jim Crow laws did much more than merely reinforce a tradition of segregation.

As for the last question, refer to the following portion: "In the fall of 1954, for example, C. Vann Woodward delivered a lecture series at the University of Virginia which challenged the prevailing dogma concerning the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation in the South."

Woodward challenged the idea that racial segregation in the South was continuous and uniform. Choice (A) represents the "prevailing dogma" that Woodward challenged, not Woodward's new idea.

I hope that helps!


Please let us know where the passage suggests that the american revolution was at it's early stages in 1776.
The passage doesn't suggest that the american revolution was at it's early stages in 1776. This is assumed.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 265
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 07:34
GittinGud wrote:
Please let us know where the passage suggests that the american revolution was at it's early stages in 1776.
The passage doesn't suggest that the american revolution was at it's early stages in 1776. This is assumed.

GittinGud, hopefully this post will help!
_________________

www.gmatninja.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Nov 2016
Posts: 14
CAT Tests
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 21:12
Hi can anyone please explain me the answer for Question 2 on prevailing dogma???
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Jun 2018
Posts: 17
Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jul 2018, 23:33
5.The attitude of the author of the passage toward the work of C. Vann Woodward is best described as one of

(A) respectful regard
(B) qualified approbation
(C) implied skepticism
(D) pointed criticism
(E) fervent advocacy

Option c , d and e can be easily eliminated. In the passage the author writes that
' Yet, like Paine, Woodward had an unerring sense of the revolutionary moment, and of how historical evidence could undermine the mythological tradition that was crushing the dreams of new social possibilities. '

this line suggests respect and regard also nowhere in the passage the author approves or praises the work of C. Vann Woodward he simply quotes that Martin Luther King, Jr., testified to the profound EFFECT of The Strange Career of Jim Crow on the civil rights movement by praising the book and quoting it frequently.
so the answer is A.

Originally posted by goofytiwari69 on 11 Jul 2018, 23:03.
Last edited by goofytiwari69 on 12 Jul 2018, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 10 May 2018
Posts: 125
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 00:18
In Ques 6, the answer choice E mentions Jim Crow laws did much more than merely reinforce a tradition of segregation.
This is precisely what Van Woodward expressed in his University of Virginia lectures.

Read following lines from the passage:

....Vann Woodward delivered a lecture series at the University of Virginia which challenged the prevailing dogma concerning the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation in the South. He argued that the Jim Crow laws of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries not only codified traditional practice but also were a determined effort to erase the considerable progress made by Black people during and after Reconstruction in the 1870’s....


No other answer choice correctly points this out. Hence (E) is correct.

Hope this helps.
subhadeepb4 wrote:
Can someone explain question 6.

_________________

Stuck in the 600-700 score bracket? I welcome you to read my four-step course of action to a modest score.
I also invite you to critique and help me find flaws in my modus operandi. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 10 May 2018
Posts: 125
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 00:22
Even I was thinking on the same lines, but to answer the question one may not necessarily know that. The passage is sufficient to answer the questions associated with it.

GittinGud wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
Somebody please help with Q3. I didn't understand the meaning of handicaps even when I read the passage. Please somebody explain the meaning in the passage. Also in the last question, please explain why A is wrong.

Quote:
3. Which of the following is the best example of writing that is likely to be subject to the kinds of “handicaps” referred to in line 27?

(A) A history of an auto manufacturing plant written by an employee during an auto-buying boom
(B) A critique of a statewide school-desegregation plan written by an elementary school teacher in that state
(C) A newspaper article assessing the historical importance of a United States President written shortly after the President has taken office
(D) A scientific paper describing the benefits of a certain surgical technique written by the surgeon who developed the technique
(E) Diary entries narrating the events of a battle written by a soldier who participated in the battle

Quote:
Ten years later, in a preface to the second revised edition, Woodward confessed with ironic modesty that the first edition “had begun to suffer under some of the handicaps that might be expected in a history of the American Revolution published in 1776.”

In this sentence, a "handicap" is a challenge or an obstacle (i.e. "A fear of public speaking is a severe handicap to anyone running for public office.").
In 1776, the American Revolution was in its early stages. It would be difficult to write a history of a revolution while the revolution is still in its early stages. It would be easier to write such a history after the revolution so that you could look back and get the full picture.

Similarly, it would be difficult to assess the historical importance of a US President shortly after that President has taken office (and yes, I'm biting my tongue in a desperate effort keep this forum politically neutral). It would be easier to assess the historical importance of a President after that President's term is over. Hence, choice (C) is the best option.

Quote:
6. Which of the following best describes the new idea expressed by C. Vann Woodward in his University of Virginia lectures in 1954?

(A) Southern racial segregation was continuous and uniform.
(B) Black people made considerable progress only after Reconstruction.
(C) Jim Crow legislation was conventional in nature.
(D) Jim Crow laws did not go as far in codifying traditional practice as they might have.
(E) Jim Crow laws did much more than merely reinforce a tradition of segregation.

As for the last question, refer to the following portion: "In the fall of 1954, for example, C. Vann Woodward delivered a lecture series at the University of Virginia which challenged the prevailing dogma concerning the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation in the South."

Woodward challenged the idea that racial segregation in the South was continuous and uniform. Choice (A) represents the "prevailing dogma" that Woodward challenged, not Woodward's new idea.

I hope that helps!


Please let us know where the passage suggests that the american revolution was at it's early stages in 1776.
The passage doesn't suggest that the american revolution was at it's early stages in 1776. This is assumed.

_________________

Stuck in the 600-700 score bracket? I welcome you to read my four-step course of action to a modest score.
I also invite you to critique and help me find flaws in my modus operandi. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 10 May 2018
Posts: 125
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 00:26
I generally go about questions like these by eliminating the incorrect ones and by hoping my vocabulary doesn't fail me with the answer choices that are left after elimination.
goofytiwari69 wrote:
5.The attitude of the author of the passage toward the work of C. Vann Woodward is best described as one of

(A) respectful regard
(B) qualified approbation
(C) implied skepticism
(D) pointed criticism
(E) fervent advocacy

Option c , and e can be easily eliminated. In the passage the author writes that
' Yet, like Paine, Woodward had an unerring sense of the revolutionary moment, and of how historical evidence could undermine the mythological tradition that was crushing the dreams of new social possibilities. '

this line suggests respect and regard also nowhere in the passage the author approves or praises the work of C. Vann Woodward he simply quotes that Martin Luther King, Jr., testified to the profound EFFECT of The Strange Career of Jim Crow on the civil rights movement by praising the book and quoting it frequently.
so the answer is A.

_________________

Stuck in the 600-700 score bracket? I welcome you to read my four-step course of action to a modest score.
I also invite you to critique and help me find flaws in my modus operandi. Thanks!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 265
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 06:11
1
shweta234 wrote:
Hi can anyone please explain me the answer for Question 2 on prevailing dogma???

shweta234, check out this post.

I hope that helps!
_________________

www.gmatninja.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Started with mock tests,Kaplan and manhattan score's below
Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 110
Location: India
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.2
Premium Member
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 22:04
@abhimahna,@daagh,@KarishmaB,souvonik2k
Author mentions great work such as lecturing against dogma . He also explains that book was highly praised and mentioned many times by Martin Luther King Jr.IMO he is advocating his work by giving example of the praises by Martin Jr. He also tries to explain that he is qualified because author has done his homework for the court case.
Overall i see more of advocacy than respect in passage.Please help he understand this.
_________________

Thanks,
Ankit
Target Score:730+

If the post was useful,please send the kudos
MBA VS MIM :https://www.mba.com/mbas-and-business-masters/articles/management-programs-and-careers/the-differences-between-masters-in-management-and-mbas

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2015
Posts: 24
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 21:29
1
AnkitOrYadav - I picked B too, but after reading through the thread I can see where I went wrong.

The first thing you should note is that the question asks about the attitude of the author of the passage toward the work Woodward; True, MLK did testify the book’s profound effect, praise the book and quote it frequently. But it was MLK who did those things and not the author. Basically the author mentions that the book was praised but he himself didn’t praise the book. The author does mention that the book was praised by MLK, that the book had a mass readership, that Woodward had an unerring sense of the revolutionary movement. After reading all this I’d choose regard/respect over praise.

Now coming to the word qualified- it has two interpretations: One which means substantiation (such as giving examples - the meaning you’ve mentioned). The other interpretation is explained wonderfully by GMATNinja in one of the posts above. Read this example sentence: “the critic qualified his praise of the book by taking about the book’s loopholes” - in this context "qualified" means giving a sorta proper picture and not blind praise. This usage of the word ‘qualified' is very common in the “purpose of the text/lines” questions in RC. (I conveniently forgot this usage when I was attempting this RC btw)

Be very wary of questions that repeat the verbiage exactly as used in the passage, especially for inference type questions. Such options need to be carefully evaluated.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Apr 2018
Posts: 83
Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 23:08
it took me 11 ins to do this passage. Is it acceptable? and i got 2 wrong
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and &nbs [#permalink] 10 Sep 2018, 23:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.