GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Oct 2019, 21:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How accurate are GMAT club tests?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
How accurate are GMAT club tests?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Feb 2019, 16:01
I have never scored below 40 in GMAT quant (this includes the first ever test i took which was without preparing at all, the mahattan tests, veristas tests, GMAT Test Prep, Actual GMATS). On an average - my score has been between 43-47 (If you exclude the first ever score of 40 which I took without studying at all).

But my score in the quant section of GMAT club tests have been - 34,33,41 and 30! in that order!

when my accuracy was 38% - I got 33 (500 lvl 71%,600 lvl - 33%,700 lvl - 27%)
when my accuracy was 58% - I got 41 (88%,60%,38%)
when my accuracy was 54% - i got a 30 (57%,46%,64%)

Can any help me understand this?

Originally posted by siddharthsinha123 on 05 Feb 2019, 15:16.
Last edited by siddharthsinha123 on 05 Feb 2019, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Re: How accurate are GMAT club tests?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 15:36
Hi siddharthsinha123.

In my experience, the GMAT Club quant tests are somewhat harder than the real thing and than other practice tests. So, that you scored lower on GMAT Club quant tests than you have on others is not particularly surprising. I did the same when I started using them.

Regarding your scores and what may seem to be discrepancies between your performance and your scores, while you got fewer right on your first test than on your third test and yet scored higher on the first than on the third, as you may have noticed, your hit rate for easy questions was much higher on the first test and second test than on the third one. Missing easy questions can drag your score down significantly. So, the scores that you got make sense given your hit rates on easy questions.

There's lesson to be learned from this experience actually. A key part of hitting a GMAT score goal is to get the easy and medium question correct.

Anyway, there's nothing really out of line in your scores. The GMAT Club Tests do tend to generate scores somewhat lower than those generated by the real thing, and at the same time, they are great learning tools. So, you can use them for that purpose, play them like a game seeking to score higher, and learn to rock the GMAT like a champ.

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 15:40
Thanks Marty, I have been using Target Test Prep for a while now and it has definitely helped my quant. I guess, I have just been committing some silly mistakes in the tests which has dragged my score down.

But your tip is definitely helpful, and I would continue to use this which hopefully improves my actual test results :)

The the scores are really shake the confidence.

Also in verbal - I have never scored above 32 - in any of the tests - but I got all 500 level questions right - which made my gmatclub verbal test come up to 35 :)
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 15:54
siddharthsinha123 wrote:
Thanks Marty, I have been using Target Test Prep for a while now and it has definitely helped my quant. I guess, I have just been committing some silly mistakes in the tests which has dragged my score down.

Great to hear that Target Test Prep has helped. Yes, those silly mistakes are killers. It sounds as if your quant skills are pretty solid. So, the trick is to avoid squandering your skills by making silly mistakes. When you do practice questions, the goal should be not just to make sure that you know HOW to answer the questions, but to make sure that you answer them CORRECTLY.

For more on accuracy, you could read the following post. https://blog.targettestprep.com/be-accu ... mat-score/
Quote:
But your tip is definitely helpful, and I would continue to use this which hopefully improves my actual test results :)

Exxxcellent.
Quote:
The the scores are really shake the confidence.

Eh. Don't let anything shake your confidence. The GMAT Club Tests are definitely tough, and anyway, you can develop yourself as much as you want and score as high as you want.
Quote:
Also in verbal - I have never scored above 32 - in any of the tests - but I got all 500 level questions right - which made my gmatclub verbal test come up to 35 :)

There you have it! Nice going.

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How accurate are GMAT club tests?   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2019, 15:54

How accurate are GMAT club tests?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics