Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: How are internships going so far this year! [#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
recruiting really hasn't gotten going that much yet. Up until now its been information gathering and networking. Resume drops have begun for some companies but most arent until after new years. I will be writing many many cover letters over the next few weeks and reaching out to lots of alums.

Honestly, anyone that says recruiting is going great is either really lucky (star student) or full of it. This year is going to be tough, and for some its going to be very painful. Overall recruiting is a painful process anyways...even highly successful people get rejected by companies. That said, there are tons of opportunities here in a lot of fields.

As for what students are doing, people seem to have run away from banking in big numbers (1st years recruiting this year are about 25% the size of last years recruiting class for IB)...MC is up but since it was much bigger here the numbers aren't that different. Marketing is up somewhat from what I have been told but companies seem to be targeting the same number of total internships (fewer fulltime though so they hired heavily from interns). Marketing isnt as hard if you are flexible with location, some great companies are in not so popular areas so they have a harder time attracting students. If you want diageo in NYC its going to be much harder than another well known booze brand in tenessee.

Some areas the outlook is actually sounding a little better. I am going for energy and it sounds fairly promising at some companies, more of the smaller ones are starting to show up as are clean energy (solar and wind)...more often off campus but still actively looking. Bio and pharma are going strong, healthcare in general should be a positive area since its not nearly as affected by the economy...

Next year might have some very interesting developments depending on what Obama does. If he floods money into healthcare and energy, some people might be very well positioned to score amazing jobs and people who recently entered could see big career advancement opportunities. However, it could go the other way...moral of the story is what its like this year is no indication of what it will be like for you so dont worry.

Funny you mention Kellogg and IB, I can second what you're saying: at the London Baking Days I didn't see ANY student from Kellogg. There might have been a couple, but it was a very small minority. Same thing for Stanford and Harvard.

Columbia and Stern were massively present though (especially Stern), followed by Wharton and Chicago.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Oh, forgot to mention: when I say that banks have become more selective, it also applies for schools. I heard that Merrill Lynch will only be recruiting from Wharton, Stern and Chicago for example.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
Audio wrote:
Oh, forgot to mention: when I say that banks have become more selective, it also applies for schools. I heard that Merrill Lynch will only be recruiting from Wharton, Stern and Chicago for example.

You mean BofA? :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Audio wrote:
Funny you mention Kellogg and IB, I can second what you're saying: at the London Baking Days I didn't see ANY student from Kellogg. There might have been a couple, but it was a very small minority. Same thing for Stanford and Harvard.

Columbia and Stern were massively present though (especially Stern), followed by Wharton and Chicago.

I think small group of students did go but not many...its an expensive trip so students that go are the ones who are very very serious about recruiting for banking.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I talked to several Tepper's student about internship. They manage a 100% this year if I'm not mistaken. Not sure about full-time employment though
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
My company is planning on doing decent internship recruiting at b-schools...its an easy way to position yourself in case the economy recovers while getting some cheaper labor...by summer next year they should be able to see whether we're ok enough to extend full time offers and if not then its not that much money lost.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Recruitment hasn't really started to get going here yet either, we've had a few company presentations/talks and network sessions, most of the banks have already been and their internship process is underway, but we've alos had a really candid talk from Goldman Sachs about the way things are going and it looks like it will be ultra-competitive. There will be less impact on internships, more impact for full time hires.
Some of the class are already in the second round stage of interviews for some consultancies, and we have 1 second year student who has been interning at blackstone for a whole year (part time internship during school time, full tiem during the summer) who has just been released with no offer due to a headcount freeze.
Other than that we've just received special offer from Citi for Hong Kong students only where 8 candidates will get an internship and then will be given a scholarship to complete the exchange part of the program.
The situation is slightly different here because we are on the doorstep to China, we get a lot more local interest looking for people who have experience or interest in China, interestingly enough, there is plenty of opportunity in the energy sector for China, because of China's growth and increasing energy consumption.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Same here (LBS), recruiting hasn't really started yet. The only applications due so far were for banking positions in Asia. As everywhere, there will be more interest in MC and Industry than before. At some consulting events, you even start seeing Masters in Finance students showing up! I think that says it all.

As to finding internships: I'm somewhat optimistic despite the economy. As mentioned in previous posts, interns are cheap temporary labor and maybe by next fall things are slowly looking brighter. The pay probably won't be as good anymore, maybe some internships will be even unpaid.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Because of the economy, even many of the full time recruiting has been pushed to spring semester.

For us, like the other schools, banking is reducing, but there are still many banks hiring here: Credit Suisse, Deutchebank, Morgan, Merill, Goldman, and others (I'm not in banking, so this just came from a classmate who's still going for I-Banking). Lots of people have gone into MC, so that will be FIERCE come January. Many of the people are spilling into the Tech industry too, making that more competitive.

Resume drops start January 5th and goes on for most of January. Interviews start the week when school starts (1/20) with MC and Banking. Tech companies come in last week of January till early March. Then the off-campus recruiting begins. About 40% of people get jobs through on-campus and the rest through off-campus stuff (companies that post openings or collect resumes through Haas but doesn't do interviews on campus).

People are definitely being cautiously hopeful, as many companies that traditionally recruit at Haas have recommitted themselves to hiring Haas interns. Even Sony Playstation (one of my top targets) is starting to hire here for the first time this year. Yay!

We can definitely update you more when recruiting starts next year. :)
GMAT Club Bot