Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 388 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: How do I improve from 650 to 740+? [#permalink]
Go for a course.
Egmat or gmatwhiz for Verbal.
And Target test prep for Quant.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: How do I improve from 650 to 740+? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi CollegeSnr,

I'm sorry to hear that your applications did not turn out better. While a 650/Q44 is a solid GMAT Score, it would not have 'boosted' your overall application - so if your overall profile did not help you to 'stand out' in any other ways, then retaking the GMAT is likely a smart choice (as is gaining some valuable Work Experience so that you can reapply later).

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, most of your CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 630 +/- a few points). While the most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Thus, we have to ignore that 710. This leaves the 680 as something of an 'outlier' (and since you scored notably higher in the Verbal section, we have to be careful about assuming that this was an accurate reflection of your skills at that time). You clearly handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

Since these results go back over 8 months, it's likely that you developed some 'bad habits' during your earlier studies that are keeping you from scoring higher. You will have to make some significant changes to how you 'see' (and respond to) the Exam before you can get to the point that you can consistently score 740+. You could potentially get to that level in 8 weeks, but if you continue to deal with the GMAT in the same ways that have been, then you will almost certainly continue to score in the same general range.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for this next phase of your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What type of study routine have you followed over the last 3 months? How many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What Schools did you apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
How do I improve from 650 to 740+? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
CollegeSnr wrote:
Background
I am a college senior and I recently applied to 2+2/deferred MBA programmes but unfortunately got dinged from most of the programmes I applied to. I think the principal reason was my weak 650 (Q44/V36) GMAT score. This is disheartening, but I am determined to improve the GMAT substantially (targeting 740 or above because of my 'overrepresented' background) in order to boost my chances when I re-apply to top MBA programmes after a few years of work experience.

For context, I started my GMAT journey in October 2019 with a baseline score of 530 (Q41/V23) and used OG and MGMAT materials until May 2020. I then took a break for my college exams and summer internship and I restarted my studies half-heartedly in August for the next few months. In December, I realised that I really needed to knuckle down, or else I was not going to be able to get a half-decent GMAT in time. At that point, I signed up to TTP for quant and e-GMAT for verbal. TTP was great - I noticed a boost in my quant abilities almost immediately. e-GMAT, however, was not for me and I feel that I did not gain a lot from it at all.

CAT performance
8 October 2019: GMAT Prep 1 - 530 (Q41/V23/IR2) baseline
6 May 2020: GMAT Prep 2 - 580 (Q42/V28/IR4)
31 August 2020: MGMAT CAT 1 - 590 (Q39/V33/IR6) cold test after 3+ month break
11 October 2020: MGMAT CAT 2 - 630 (Q41/V35/IR7)
15 November 2020: GMAT Prep 3 - 600 (Q42/V31/IR5)
8 December 2020: MGMAT CAT 3 - 630 (Q42/V34/IR5) point at which I realised I need to really knuckle down (started TTP and e-GMAT the next day)
31 December 2020: GMAT Prep 4 - 660 (Q46/V35/IR4)
24 January 2021: GMAT Prep 5 - 640 (Q45/V32/IR6)
5 February 2021: GMAT Online - no score received cancelled by Pearson because of multiple crashes during the test
19 March 2021: GMAT Prep 1 - 640 (Q47/V31/IR5)
27 March 2021: GMAT Prep 2 - 680 (Q45/V38/IR7)
30 March 2021: GMAT Prep 3 - 710 (Q48/V40/IR7) probably a bit of a 'cheat' score as I took GMAT Prep 3 just 4 months earlier
2 April 2021: GMAT Prep 6 - 640 (Q42/V35/IR8)
5 April 2021: GMAT Online - 650 (Q44/V36/IR5)

Materials used
- OG 2020 (including quant and verbal review) completed c.60%
- MGMAT online course completed 100%
- e-GMAT verbal course completed all lessons
- TTP quant course completed all lessons

Next steps
I am currently on my summer break and I have c.8 weeks before I start working. What should I to boost my GMAT score? I think the above shows that simply 'studying more' is not going to cut it. Should I engage a tutor? Should enrol in a course (e.g. The Economist) that has a 70+ point score improvement guarantee? Or should I completely forget about the GMAT for a few years? I am a bit lost as to how to proceed from here, so I would really appreciate your thoughts and insights.

Many thanks.

Hi CollegeSnr,

I don't think it's a good idea to give up on your GMAT when you are almost there. It's just that you have to tweak your approach a little, identify the exact reason for your score being stagnant and then work on those areas. And taking a break isn't a good option as well unless you desperately need that. A break can have a negative effect on your studies and you might have to start everything from the scratch. So, it's better to get it done with when you are in the zone. Let me help you with the process.

Before suggesting you how to proceed further, let's understand the reasons for being stuck in 600's.

The probable reasons:

• You might be having a few conceptual gaps
  • You might be struggling with the application of concepts of a few topics
  • You might not be using the right test taking strategies

As you see there could be multiple reasons and it's important to know the exact reason to suggest you a plan of action. It will be really pre-mature to suggest you anything without knowing the actual reason.

I can help you in a much better way if you can provide me with a few more details such as:
  • Your current study strategy
  • Your weak areas in both Quant and Verbal
  • Your approach of solving questions

I suggest that we get in touch over a call and discuss the same. Connecting over a zoom conference call will help me understand your approach, identify the flaw in your approach if any and then suggest you the plan of action in a better way. You can use the link below to schedule a call with me.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot
How do I improve from 650 to 740+? [#permalink]