It is currently 25 Nov 2017, 03:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How does an Electrical indicate interest in finance?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

WE 1: 4 years - Engineer
How does an Electrical indicate interest in finance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2008, 11:32
I'm applying to a few programs, and there's the same old question, something to the effect of:

"Given your past work experiences, why do you want to pursue an MBA now, at ______ B-school, and how does your interest line up with your short and long-term goals?"

Well, I'm an electrical engineer and have had no experience at all in the finance industry. Yes, I have been in a very corporate, very analytical environment that is probably somewhat similar to what I will experience in a finance firm, but its definitely not as clear cut as "Well I've been a financial analyst for 3 years and now I need an MBA to further my career and get promoted." I know exactly what I'd like to do once I graduate, but regarding the whole, "well what made you decide to do an MBA" part, I did my research online, took a finance class, and by talking to people, and I decided that this was an area that interested me.

How would a typical career switcher be able to answer this question in an effective manner? The essay books I've been taking a look at make it seem so easy, its either "I've had financial experience already..." or "I come from a very non-traditional career path, so I have some very unique set of skills..."

Would anyone be able to advise? I very much appreciate your input!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Schools: Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown
Re: How does an Electrical indicate interest in finance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2008, 11:36
You might want to consider taking the CFA level I exam in June

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 583 [0], given: 74

Re: How does an Electrical indicate interest in finance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2008, 18:10
theturko,

The advice to take the CFA is a good one, but it's actually sufficient to show the schools (a) where your interest in finance came from and (b) that you've tested that interest through informational interviews, research, etc. Another possibility to seek out non-paid opportunities to get your feet wet in a finance role, take some finance courses and do well in them, and refer in your essays to any experiences at work that show you have an aptitude for numbers. But it sounds like you've already done a fair amount to convince them that finance is really the field you want to go into and you know what that career involves.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Kudos [?]: 583 [0], given: 74

Re: How does an Electrical indicate interest in finance?   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2008, 18:10

How does an Electrical indicate interest in finance?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap