GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 08:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

How many questions should I aim to solve?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
How many questions should I aim to solve?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 04:25
I am targeting a score of 760+ in GMAT. How many questions should I aim to solve?

Will the time be even sufficient for solving all the questions in both quant and verbal? Should I even aim for it?

I took a practice test and didn't even get to see last 5-6 questions in both Quant and Verbal. I know of the GMAT scoring algorithm and will try not to get 4+ questions wrong in a row from next time. But I just want to understand how the timing is for all test takers in general ? Do you guys get to see all the questions?

I am not sure whether I should aim to solve all the questions compromising a little bit on accuracy or just try to solve as many questions as possible without comprising accuracy.
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How many questions should I aim to solve?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 09:31
luffy1894 wrote:
I am targeting a score of 760+ in GMAT. How many questions should I aim to solve?

Will the time be even sufficient for solving all the questions in both quant and verbal? Should I even aim for it?

I took a practice test and didn't even get to see last 5-6 questions in both Quant and Verbal. I know of the GMAT scoring algorithm and will try not to get 4+ questions wrong in a row from next time. But I just want to understand how the timing is for all test takers in general ? Do you guys get to see all the questions?

I am not sure whether I should aim to solve all the questions compromising a little bit on accuracy or just try to solve as many questions as possible without comprising accuracy.

Hi,

It is difficult to tell how many questions you can leave unsolved to score a 760, though many test takers have told that they had left 1 or 2 questions and scored high. It also depends on your luck whether you left experimental questions or main questions. But I would certainly suggest you to guess questions at later stage i.e for Quant after 25 and Verbal after 28. Few test takers leave a full RC passage that they get last. But in any case don't think of leaving questions early in the test and practice educated guess technique.

Akshdeep

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 10:58
For that score goal you can’t afford to really leave any questions unanswered... that’s not because you really need them but rather since it is pretty hard to hit all of your first 25-30 questions correctly.

At the same time if you look at Bunuels experiments with online GMAT Prep tests, he answered the first 25 or so correctly and all remaining questions incorrectly and still got Q49.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 19:01
luffy1894 wrote:

I think that you really need to try to solve all questions, especially leave no unanswered questions. If you want 760+, there is only way to answer all questions.

In fact, if you face any question that is too hard to you, you may guess it. If you run out of time, you could random the answer choice. However, those situations could hurt your overall score much if those questions that you guessed or randomed are counted to your score.

GMAT is a game that requires players the consistent performance. Thus, you should have a suitable strategy to complete all given questions in given time.

Posted from my mobile device

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 19:26
Hi luffy1894,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 20:07
Thanks for all of your replies.

EMPOWERgmatRichC, I started studying 2 weeks back. I took my GMAT prep test last week and got Q49 and V36. I didn't prepare much for the the exam and was trying to figure out my weaknesses through the mock test.

I am planning to take GMAT 2months from now. Plan is to maintain Quant at Q49 and aim for Q50. For verbal, I had trouble with SC and got most of the questions wrong. I am good at RC and CR though. So I started with MGMAT SC and when i went back for reviewing my GMAT prep questions I am able to get 80% of my Verbal SC correct though I am very slow.

So for now, My plan is to improve my speed and accuracy in SC to get into V40+ range, target Q50 and maintain this score consistently . I am going for self prep btw so I need to decide what I should do after i get there to improve my score further.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 20:52
Hi luffy1894,

That's a fantastic initial CAT Score (the average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Assuming that you took that CAT in a realistic fashion and didn't see any 'repeat' questions, then you are clearly a strong critical thinker. By extension, once you've learned the necessary content, you could potentially score even higher. Since you have some study materials already, I suggest that you study as you choose for the next 1-2 weeks, then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). Once you have that Score, you should post back so that we can analyze how well your studies have helped you to improve - and any adjustments that you might make going forward.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 21:18
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi luffy1894,

That's a fantastic initial CAT Score (the average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Assuming that you took that CAT in a realistic fashion and didn't see any 'repeat' questions, then you are clearly a strong critical thinker. By extension, once you've learned the necessary content, you could potentially score even higher. Since you have some study materials already, I suggest that you study as you choose for the next 1-2 weeks, then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). Once you have that Score, you should post back so that we can analyze how well your studies have helped you to improve - and any adjustments that you might make going forward.

Rich
Thankyou EMPOWERgmatRichC, I have given GRE before and am generally quite good at Quant to begin with. I am a non-native but am fairly good at verbal too, courtesy of many books thats i have read till date.

I will prepare for a couple of weeks before taking the next test. Will get back here after that. Thanks for the encouragement.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 03:56
I think your aim should be:

How many concepts i can learn and make use of these in questions.

rather than

How many questions i have to do..

PS: I had the same mindset in my last attempt. Trust me this mindset will take you till 700 but not more than that.
My scores and mindset before / after :

540: (Before Exam) Who cares lets give it a shot as i got 96 percentile in CAT, GMAT would be a cake walk.
(After Exam) I think i need to practice a lot. GMAT is different.
690: (After Exam) Damn practice practice.. don't care if i get it right , why i got it right or why i got it wrong.
680: (After Exam) Something's wrong ... my RC or CR or SC. I need to do as many questions from my weak area: RC
700: (After Exam) Cool, I got it even after some 2500 practice questions. I realized what i lack is concepts not the questions
how many i got right.
Next exam is in 11 days ... Hope i can get better than that score.

Hope my experience helps you to understand the key issue.

+kudos if you think its helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How many questions should I aim to solve? &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jul 2018, 03:56

How many questions should I aim to solve?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap