GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded sem

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49303
How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded sem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 10:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:25) correct 46% (01:20) wrong based on 166 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded semi-annually, in order to earn $51.25 in interest income by the end of the year?

A. $1,025.00
B. $512.50
C. $500.00
D. $256.25
E. $42.00

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Posts: 984
How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded sem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 10:45
1
Bunuel wrote:
How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded semi-annually, in order to earn $51.25 in interest income by the end of the year?

A. $1,025.00
B. $512.50
C. $500.00
D. $256.25
E. $42.00

Algebraic approach
CI=P*(1+r/100)^t
CI=P+51.25
thus P+51.25=P(1+10/(2*100)^2
P=500

2nd logical approach

10% of 500 =50
thus total profit is a bit more since interest earned compounded basis
thus profit must be 51.25
(check for first year 500+25=525
second year 525*5/100=26.25
total 525+26.25= 551.25)

Thus Ans C
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Location: United States (TX)
GMAT 1: 580 Q32 V37
GPA: 3.31
Re: How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded sem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 18:45
I am confused on the solution formula used. Could someone break it down more in detail?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49303
Re: How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded sem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 00:17
2
1
twash017 wrote:
I am confused on the solution formula used. Could someone break it down more in detail?


How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded semi-annually, in order to earn $51.25 in interest income by the end of the year?

A. $1,025.00
B. $512.50
C. $500.00
D. $256.25
E. $42.00

10% annual interest, compounded semi-annually means that the investment earns 5% in every 6 months.

So, we are looking for such x, which satisfies: x*1.05^2 = x + 51.25

0.1025x = 51.25;
1025x = 512500;
x = 500.

Answer: C.

Another way: since 10% annual interest is compounded semi-annually, then the actual interest will be a little bit more that 10% (because of the interest earned on interest). Thus, $51.25 of interest must be a little bit more that 10% of the correct answer. Only C fits.

Answer: C.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49303
Re: How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded sem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 00:18
Bunuel wrote:
twash017 wrote:
I am confused on the solution formula used. Could someone break it down more in detail?


How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded semi-annually, in order to earn $51.25 in interest income by the end of the year?

A. $1,025.00
B. $512.50
C. $500.00
D. $256.25
E. $42.00

10% annual interest, compounded semi-annually means that the investment earns 5% in every 6 months.

So, we are looking for such x, which satisfies: x*1.05^2 = x + 51.25

0.1025x = 51.25;
1025x = 512500;
x = 500.

Answer: C.

Another way: since 10% annual interest is compounded semi-annually, then the actual interest will be a little bit more that 10% (because of the interest earned on interest). Thus, $51.25 of interest must be a little bit more that 10% of the correct answer. Only C fits.

Answer: C.


4. Percents and Iterest



Check below for more:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Location: United States (TX)
GMAT 1: 580 Q32 V37
GPA: 3.31
Re: How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded sem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 14:09
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
twash017 wrote:
I am confused on the solution formula used. Could someone break it down more in detail?


How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded semi-annually, in order to earn $51.25 in interest income by the end of the year?

A. $1,025.00
B. $512.50
C. $500.00
D. $256.25
E. $42.00

10% annual interest, compounded semi-annually means that the investment earns 5% in every 6 months.

So, we are looking for such x, which satisfies: x*1.05^2 = x + 51.25

0.1025x = 51.25;
1025x = 512500;
x = 500.

Answer: C.

Another way: since 10% annual interest is compounded semi-annually, then the actual interest will be a little bit more that 10% (because of the interest earned on interest). Thus, $51.25 of interest must be a little bit more that 10% of the correct answer. Only C fits.

Answer: C.


4. Percents and Iterest



Check below for more:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.



Thanks Bunuel!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jan 2018
Posts: 72
Re: How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded sem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 05:58
Bunuel wrote:
How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded semi-annually, in order to earn $51.25 in interest income by the end of the year?

A. $1,025.00
B. $512.50
C. $500.00
D. $256.25
E. $42.00


Let the amount invested is A

since it is compounded semi annually, the rate of interest will be 10/2 = 5% and the time will be 1 * 2 = 2

According to question:

A (1 + 5/100)^2 - A = 51.25

A(441/400) - A = 51.25
--> 41A/400 = 51.25
==> 41A = 20500
therefore A(Amount invested) = 20500/41 = 500
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Jan 2017
Posts: 61
Premium Member
Re: How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded sem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 10:00
If the interest is compounded anually answer D were correct.
The answer has to be very close to D though.
Re: How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded sem &nbs [#permalink] 12 May 2018, 10:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How much money must be invested at 10% annual interest, compounded sem

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.