Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Tutor

Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Joseph: N
Send PM
Re: How Much Would You Pay for a Guaranteed 700+ Score? [#permalink]
Hi Mcelroytutoring,

Just a watch out from a fraud perspective, if someone would pay in the thousands for your service with a 700+ guarantee, they have a lot of incentive to con you out of money. It wouldn't be difficult for someone to falsify an unofficial score report, or even rewrite the exam after getting a 700+ score and purposely score poorly. Just think, if someone were to - 1.) score a 700+, 2.) cancel score, 3.) rewrite 3 weeks later and get a 580, 4.) submit to you their score report, 5.) cancel the 580 score within 48 hours, 6.) rescend their 720 - would you be able to catch them? When a lot of money is on the line, people may be willing to do deplorable things. Just something to watch out for when you are writing in the rules of the agreement. Best of luck with your new approach!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 660 Q39 V40
Send PM
Well, risks of fraud aside, it would depend as DIII said, upon the person's current score.

From my perspective, back when I first started prepping for the GMAT and was scoring about 620 on the mock CATs I'd have been willing to pay about ~3000$ for a guarantee of over 700. (I'm from India, so that translates to quite a bit of money here).

I scored a 660 on the official attempt, so now, knowing that its within reach, I'd probably cough up 1500$ to get that guarantee because I'm familiar with how the test 'works' and am a lot more confident in my abilities.
Tutor

Send PM
How Much Would You Pay for a Guaranteed 700+ Score? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Thanks for the advice! I agree that I would have to be careful to avoid deception. I think what I would do is require the student to give me access to his/her personal GMAT score report, which is a secure PDF download that is accessible through a unique URL on the Pearson Vue website, and the student's Date of Birth. (This is also the system that GMAT Club uses to verify GMAT scores, because it cannot be faked.)

Unlike score reports that are sent to schools, the student score report shows all scores from the last 5 years, including cancellations, so it would be impossible to hide a 700-plus score...unless it was cancelled, but this would of course not be in the best interest of the student. Even if they were to cancel the score, if they ever tried to use the score, then I would be able to access it--and I would still require an ESR as proof, in the case that the scores were either temporarily or permanently cancelled.

It is of course true that one could attempt to game the system through cancellations and score reinstatements, but again I would require an ESR as proof, as well as a printout from the test center (no cancellations on the day of the test). I doubt that this type of calculated deception would be worth the effort for someone who can afford to pay thousands of dollars for a GMAT tutor.

As far as the pricing of the guarantee, I would have to take it on a case-by-case basis, but $1,500 to take a student from 660 to 700+ seems reasonable, if a little low, given the inherent risk for the tutor. Going from a 500 to 700+, however, would be less likely and therefore would cost significantly more.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 05 Nov 2017, 13:00.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 24 Jan 2018, 00:01, edited 7 times in total.
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
OK GMAT clubbers, thanks for the advice. I've decided that I am going to offer a 700+ score money-back guarantee, but only on a case-by-case basis, and the price will be negotiated depending on the students' overall improvements: 50 points improvement is relatively easy, 100 points improvement is significant but about average for my students, and 150+ points improvement is possible, but the chances are less than 50%, so my pricing will reflect that reality.

The 700+ score guarantee will include up to 25 hours of private tutoring with me via Skype. I will require students to send me the link to their official GMAT student score reports, in order to their prove prior scores, and I will require them to prove (via the same system on the Pearson Vue website) that they have taken the test at least 3 more times before I will issue a full refund. I will also require pre-payment, along with a legal contract that we will both sign. I am also open to involving an escrow service, should you prefer.

If you're interested, then please contact me and let me know the specifics of your situation, along with your highest official GMAT score thus far. Happy studies!

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 09 Nov 2017, 10:40.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 27 Dec 2017, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Expert Reply
Best of luck on your ambition, Brian. The GMAT tutoring score guarantee is a very difficult nut to crack. It is no coincidence that the big names don't offer them. If they could, they would.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
OK GMAT clubbers, thanks for the advice. I've decided that I am going to offer a 700+ score money-back guarantee, but only on a case-by-case basis, and the price will be negotiated depending on the students' overall improvements: 50 points improvement is relatively easy, 100 points improvement is significant but about average for my students, and 150+ points improvement is possible, but the chances are less than 50%, so my pricing will reflect that reality.

The 700+ score guarantee will include up to 25 hours of private tutoring with me via Skype. I will require students to send me the link to their official GMAT student score reports, in order to their prove prior scores, and I will require them to prove (via the same system on the Pearson Vue website) that they have taken the test at least 3 more times before I will issue a full refund. I will also require pre-payment, along with a legal contract that we will both sign.

If you're interested, then please contact me and let me know the specifics of your situation, along with your highest official GMAT score thus far. Happy studies!

What’s your website address?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:

The 700+ score guarantee will include up to 25 hours of private tutoring with me via Skype. I will require students to send me the link to their official GMAT student score reports, in order to their prove prior scores, and I will require them to prove (via the same system on the Pearson Vue website) that they have taken the test at least 3 more times before I will issue a full refund. I will also require pre-payment, along with a legal contract that we will both sign.

what are the pricing? i want to get info about it
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3131 [2]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Kudos
"what would you pay for such a service?"

Great Question.
Here is my answer -> Not a dime.

With all due respect to your phenomenal credentials sir,Nobody and I mean NOBODY can guarantee a 700 GMAT.
It seems like one of those apocryphal newspaper Ads.
You have to remember that at the end of the day => If you want a 700 score -> you are really the one that is gonna grind.

Also, knowing that my money will get refunded will make me complacent and my thinking would be somewhat like -> "So what I don't get a 700 this time.I will still have the money"
For the whole process to be fruitful I would rather grind and sweat it out by buying an online course(or a tutor if I really need one) rather than a 700+ guarantee.
And off-course. Since you are private tutor and not a lot is know about you, consider this -> I don't get a 700. What if you refuse to payback.What are chances of an individual (not an accredited company) sitting in say Alabama paying back an individual who is in some small part of Africa.

ZERO!
I am not questioning your integrity sir, I am just questioning the thought-process behind taking such a call.
Maybe something to think about ?

Offcourse, these are my personal opinions. Feel free to disagree with them.

Best
Stone
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
stonecold wrote:

Great Question.

With all due respect to your phenomenal credentials sir,Nobody and I mean NOBODY can guarantee a 700 GMAT.
You have to remember that at the end of the day => If you want a 700 score -> you are really the one that is gonna grind.

Also, knowing that my money will get refunded will make me complacent and my thinking would be somewhat like -> "So what I don't get a 700 this time.I will still have the money"
For the whole process to be fruitful I would rather grind and sweat it out by buying an online course(or a tutor if I really need one) rather than a 700+ guarantee.
And off-course. Since you are private tutor and not a lot is know about you, consider this -> I don't get a 700. What if you refuse to payback.What are chances of an individual (not an accredited company) sitting in say Alabama paying back an individual who is in some small part of Africa.

ZERO!
I am not questioning your integrity sir, I am just questioning the thought-process behind taking such a call.

Best
Stone

Very well written. Kudos to you. I do agree that no one can really guarantee a 700 if you don't have something inside you to get to your target.

Giving an option to take money back actually could make the things worse.

Self determination and right strategies are the keys to get to your dream score. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
abhimahna wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Great Question.

ZERO!

Best
Stone

Very well written. Kudos to you. I do agree that no one can really guarantee a 700 if you don't have something inside you to get to your target.

Giving an option to take money back actually could make the things worse.

Self determination and right strategies are the keys to get to your dream score. :)

I agree. You can be the best teacher/tutor but you can't guarantee a person will follow your advice/strategies on test day. Money back guarantee will actually make matters worse because students would feel that even if they didn't score 700+ they could just get their money back so they have less incentive to follow your strategies...

What happens if someone scores 690 or 680? Would you still give the money back?
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Yes, of course I can't literally guarantee a 700+ score! That's why you could potentially end up failing in your goal, but getting all your money back. The guarantee isn't technically the score itself--it's the promise of a full refund if you don't achieve a 700+ score.

This is not the right decision for everybody, that's for sure...especially since in order to get the guarantee, you would have to pay a multiple of my regular rates, which is dependent on your probability of scoring 700+. The vast majority of my students choose to simply pay my regular hourly rate, and take their chances.

And yes, there is a high degree of trust involved. But this is an issue that could be solved by an escrow service, for example.

One point I would disagree with, though, is that an individual private tutor is less trustworthy than a large company. I have known large companies like Verizon and Comcast to be far worse, in my 38 years of life experience, when it comes to trustworthiness, than small business owners and mom-and-pop shops.

Let me put it this way: my name is my business, and my business is my name. I have built an empire of trust around one person and one GMAT tutor: me. I'm not an anonymous worker who can hide behind a company logo. If I were not keep my end of the bargain in this type of situation, then it would give my business a bad name, and I can't recover from that, so this fact (in addition to my own strong principles) prevents me from taking advantage of students and clients.

If they score a 680 or 690, then yes, I would still give the money back. But part of the agreement is that you have to take the GMAT at least 3 times.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 18 Dec 2017, 15:00.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 24 Jan 2018, 00:29, edited 9 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE:Education (Consulting)
Send PM
DS -- Will I graduate from HBS? Given: 1) $7,000 / 700 point = $10 / point. 2) $200,000...Answer choice "C!" Both are a Bargain, since upon graduation, McK will hire me at $200,000 / year + $50,000 bonus. =)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I made an account just to reply to this.

Did you stop doing the guarantee? I don't see it on the website.

My only issues are with your 2 requirements for the guarantee, I'm somewhat unsure of the reasoning behind these other than protecting yourself financially..:

1. Fee for tutoring with guarantee versus fee for tutoring without guarantee.
You said multiple times the regular fee. I would personally not like having such a strong psychological motive against scoring well.. The money wouldn't be too big of an issue, but deciding on paying for the guarantee is similar to (in my mind) telling myself, "I am betting this amount of money that I will not score 700 or higher for 3 tries in a row."

2. Required to take the exam 3 times.
This is a big inconvenience for the test taker... I'm thinking from a personal perspective, but I wouldn't really have any incentive to take the GMAT two more times if I scored very close to 700. This requirement alone seems like a strong enough reason to prevent anyone from utilizing the guarantee. Personally, it's really the only reason I wouldn't.

Note: I've spent around $7,000 already on test prep, including private tutoring from 3 top companies. A 700 score guarantee could be a very lucrative market I bet.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sapphirejade wrote:
I made an account just to reply to this.

Did you stop doing the guarantee? I don't see it on the website.

My only issues are with your 2 requirements for the guarantee, I'm somewhat unsure of the reasoning behind these other than protecting yourself financially..:

1. Fee for tutoring with guarantee versus fee for tutoring without guarantee.
You said multiple times the regular fee. I would personally not like having such a strong psychological motive against scoring well.. The money wouldn't be too big of an issue, but deciding on paying for the guarantee is similar to (in my mind) telling myself, "I am betting this amount of money that I will not score 700 or higher for 3 tries in a row."

2. Required to take the exam 3 times.
This is a big inconvenience for the test taker... I'm thinking from a personal perspective, but I wouldn't really have any incentive to take the GMAT two more times if I scored very close to 700. This requirement alone seems like a strong enough reason to prevent anyone from utilizing the guarantee. Personally, it's really the only reason I wouldn't.

Note: I've spent around $7,000 already on test prep, including private tutoring from 3 top companies. A 700 score guarantee could be a very lucrative market I bet.

Yes, I still offer the guarantee on a case-by-case basis, which can be discussed with a phone or Skype call.

1) To be clear, I wrote "a multiple of my regular rates," not "multiple times the regular fee." In some cases, the multiple could be rather low, like 1.5x. Here's how I would look at it: you are not betting that you won't get a 700, you are paying for a 700, with a money-back guarantee if you don't achieve your goal. Why ever bet against yourself? If you fail, well, at least you didn't lose any more money. But that's a fallback, not a goal. If you are investing in yourself and in B-school, then my fees are low in comparison to the payoff of a top-25 program.

2) If you take it once and score 690, and that's good enough for you, for example, then I will offer a 690 guarantee. You only need to take it 3 times if you don't achieve your goal score right away. However, I'm not going to give you all your money back if you take it once and earn a 690--I need to protect myself from being caught in a technicality! That being said, the precise language of each score guarantee can be customized to fit the student.

p.s. If you had tried me first, then you might have saved $7,000! ;)
GMAT Club Bot