It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 17:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How Seriously Does Wharton Take Quant Ability In Admission Decisions?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.92
Reviews Badge
How Seriously Does Wharton Take Quant Ability In Admission Decisions? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 14:05
Hello All,

I’m curious to hear what you think about the “Quant” aspect of Wharton’s admissions process? I read about an email in this article (poetsandquants(DOT)com/2011/11/15/wharton-email-spooks-applicants/) that Wharton sent to applicants and got a little nervous. Some of the people who received that email had a far more quantitative background than I do. Curious to see if I might be wasting my time applying to the school:

- I got a 730 on the GMAT, but only a 46 on quant (scored 47-48 on practice exams). Due to work/app constraints, I do not have time to retake the exam
- I had a 3.9 undergrad with 20% STEM classes, 30% Econ/Finance classes, 50% humanities classes
- I do some moderate data-analysis in my job, but no modeling per say

Would I better off applying to a different reach school?

Thanks

Last edited by SirJamesRufusEsquire on 23 Sep 2015, 15:19, edited 2 times in total.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: How Seriously Does Wharton Take Quant Ability In Admission Decisions? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 14:29
This post received
KUDOS
To be honest I think you should be fine. If I were you I would spend more time on the actual application and essays.

The paragraph below which I pasted from from that article was a shock to me. I seriously doubt that a 90% GMAT quant score proves higher proficiency in business analytics than his/her professional experience in Finance and the CFA. If this person was rejected, I assure you it's not because Wharton didn't believe he/she could do math.

"This time around the Wharton emails to applicants already are beginning to fuel debate on some of the online discussion boards frequented by applicants. At GMATClub.com, for example, a candidate identifying himself as “Nikini” seemed shock to have received the email from Wharton. The Wharton applicant says he minored in business and has two calculus courses on his transcript along with completed courses in accounting and finance. “Although I did major in a language in college, I have been working in Financial Services consulting and passed all three CFA exams since that time,” wrote Nikini. “And with the score 49 (85%) in the quantitative part on the GMAT, I do not really feel that I am on the weaker side there.”"

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 35

Re: How Seriously Does Wharton Take Quant Ability In Admission Decisions? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 14:51
This post received
KUDOS
SirJamesRufusEsquire wrote:
Hello All,

I’m curious to hear what you think about the “Quant” aspect of Wharton’s admissions process? I read about an email in this article (poetsandquants(DOT)com/2011/11/15/wharton-email-spooks-applicants/) that Wharton sent to applicants and got a little nervous. Some of the people who received that email had a far more quantitative background than I do. Curious to see if I might be wasting my time applying to the school:

- I got a 730 on the GMAT, but only a 46 on quant (scored 47-48 on practice exams). Due to work/app constraints, I do not have time to retake the exam
- I had a 3.9 undergrad with 20% STEM classes, 30% Econ/Finance classes, 50% humanities classes
- I do some moderate data-analysis in my job, but no modeling per say

Would I better off applying to a different reach school?

Thanks

It depends on your job experience and what you plan to do after the MBA. If you want to do MBB Consulting, unless you are working there already I would not apply. If your job goal has an important element of Quant then they will question your ability. However, this problem would appear at any other top school so you would not run away from it by applying to another top school. If your goal after the MBA is not Quant focused then I would apply. Lastly, you can try to demonstrate your Quant ability in other ways to offset the score in the GMAT, which, unfortunately for some, can become an overweighted factor.

Cheers

Fugazi, fugazi

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 35

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 16:14
That's really good feedback. Thanks guys.

Plastman, to answer your question: I want to work in Corporate Strategy. I assume a 46 would be on the low end, but still okay?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 23:44
That's really good feedback. Thanks guys.

Plastman, to answer your question: I want to work in Corporate Strategy. I assume a 46 would be on the low end, but still okay?

I think it's ok, I would go for it.
Good luck!

Fugazi, fugazi

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V47
GPA: 3.81

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2015, 07:25
Definitely go for it. I also scored a 46 on quant so this was a major concern for me as I was applying. I was a geography major in undergrad and had only taken a few quant classes (calc, basic statistics). I was considering re-taking with a 750 last minute in December, but ultimately decided to focus on the essays and I'm glad I did.

I'm sure it's something they look at but definitely not a deal breaker if your application is strong otherwise.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 11:52
Hi all,
After reading this, i m getting lil bit nervous. Though m engineering grad, i did re-appear (twice, as my prof wasn't happy with me ; for not licking his ass or something, he didnt let me pass in 1st attempt and then i have to re-appear with my junior year students, though i topped it that time) in one paper of mathematics in my 1st year of 4yr grad program. am planning to apply. M yet to give GMAT.

How nicely will it be viewed by Adcom of wharton? Will it affect my admission process?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 11:39
shail2509 wrote:
Hi all,
After reading this, i m getting lil bit nervous. Though m engineering grad, i did re-appear (twice, as my prof wasn't happy with me ; for not licking his ass or something, he didnt let me pass in 1st attempt and then i have to re-appear with my junior year students, though i topped it that time) in one paper of mathematics in my 1st year of 4yr grad program. am planning to apply. M yet to give GMAT.

How nicely will it be viewed by Adcom of wharton? Will it affect my admission process?

This really depends on your overall profile so it is hard to tell based on the information provided here. So you failed one class? Plenty of applicants get in with poor performance in a class, though usually there is a story to tell. Schools are good about accepting some subpar performance if it can be explained away and the rest of the application is strong.

What is your work experience like?
What GMAT score do you think you'll get?
Extra-curriculars?

Among others, those are some questions I would want to explore with you.

Feel free to contact me for further assistance with your application or to get more of a reaction to your profile.

Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2015, 15:17
Following up here. I decided not to apply. Wharton is not for me, and I guess they wouldn't like what I offer quantitatively either.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2015, 15:35
Hi SirJames, besides your quant concern -- what other aspects of Wharton made you take this decision?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2015, 16:33
Bombardeiro wrote:
Hi SirJames, besides your quant concern -- what other aspects of Wharton made you take this decision?

Honestly, my friend just wanted me to go. I hadn't fully thought through what I wanted from an MBA program when I posted this originally. The people I met at Wharton were all very amicable.

I want to stay in the northeast, but I want to go to smaller school with an energy presence.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 01:51
Bombardeiro wrote:

Honestly, my friend just wanted me to go. I hadn't fully thought through what I wanted from an MBA program when I posted this originally. The people I met at Wharton were all very amicable.

I want to stay in the northeast, but I want to go to smaller school with an energy presence.

SirJames, curious to know what schools you are looking at instead? I'm interested in energy too hence the question.

Cheers!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: How Seriously Does Wharton Take Quant Ability In Admission Decisions?   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2015, 01:51