GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 08:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

How to Improve Timing in Verbal?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
How to Improve Timing in Verbal?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Sep 2018, 06:27
I was wondering if there's a post on sentence correction strategy similar to this post for RC: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-destr ... 30247.html? (sudarshan22, hazelnut broall ). While at it, is there a post for CR that might have all the commonly tested patterns (nightblade354 )? Sorry, I tried looking but I drew a blank.

I'm averaging 2 min for medium to hard level Qs with an accuracy of 60-90%. I'm usually stuck between 2-3 choices, which take the most time. As a result, I'm struggling to finish verbal.

I'm following the strategy mentioned in the Manhattan SC guide:
1) Take a quick glance and notice the starting and ending splits. (Takes 3-4 seconds)
2) Read the original sentence for meaning. (Takes time)
3) Find a starting point. (Quick to find one)
4) Eliminate based on that point.
5) Repeat 3-4 until left with one choice. (Takes majority of the time)

I've pretty well-versed with the SC content. I've gone through Manhattan's and e-gmat's SC material quite a few times.

I would really appreciate some tips (mikemcgarry, GMATNinja ). Also, would you recommend going through all the OG SC questions again in order to improve to pattern recognition (ability to apply learnt content) and to help with revision? I was thinking that it might help me a bit. I've my exam in 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Most Comprehensive Article on How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT (NEW)
Verb Tenses Simplified

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.

Originally posted by dabaobao on 01 Sep 2018, 03:15.
Last edited by dabaobao on 20 Sep 2018, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
SC Moderator
G
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Re: How to Improve Timing in Verbal?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 03:28
dabaobao
Mentioned below are some of the pointers based on my personal experience.

1) The first thing that comes to my mind for mastering SC in verbal is hands-down e-gmat SC course, You can opt for e-gmat verbal course or go through below free resources mainly for SC.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/e-gmat-s-all ... 44985.html
P.S. It is not any paid advertisement from my side, the course is indeed very helpful :lol:

2) Always go for the meaning of the sentence, remember - meaning over any other rules. Do read the sentence completely till the end, many of the times there is one keyword at the end-non-underlined part that completely changes meaning of the sentence( Damn you GMAC, you ain't giving me that point so easy :P ). We have this habit of going for an option which looks/ sounds good but take a pause and try to infer what the intended meaning is before hitting the submit button.

3) Go through Ron Purewal's videos(must if you are aiming to score high in SC) mentioned in below link:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... 2A63933A42

4) Try revising SC flashcards, you can prepare them on your own or just download one that is floating on the GC already, and trust me there are plenty useful ones.
Personally I found the below mentioned flashcard the best, Thank you slingfox :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/slingfox-s-g ... 96483.html

5) Follow some verbal legends here on GC, go through the ways they tackle SC questions and I guess that should be it.
If you follow the aforementioned pointers, you would be the next GMAT SC Spartan. ;)

Happy learning! :thumbup:

The few, the fearless !

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 04:37
Use the attached. It is a summary of the Powerscore CR book. If you know how to identify each game type and subsequently the parts of each question (premise, conclusion, ect) you will be able to solve almost any problem.

-- Mod Nightblade
Attachments

Critical Reasoning.doc [106.5 KiB]
Downloaded 115 times

To download please login or register as a user

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 05:37
sudarshan22 wrote:
dabaobao
Mentioned below are some of the pointers based on my personal experience.

1) The first thing that comes to my mind for mastering SC in verbal is hands-down e-gmat SC course, You can opt for e-gmat verbal course or go through below free resources mainly for SC.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/e-gmat-s-all ... 44985.html
P.S. It is not any paid advertisement from my side, the course is indeed very helpful :lol:

2) Always go for the meaning of the sentence, remember - meaning over any other rules. Do read the sentence completely till the end, many of the times there is one keyword at the end-non-underlined part that completely changes meaning of the sentence( Damn you GMAC, you ain't giving me that point so easy :P ). We have this habit of going for an option which looks/ sounds good but take a pause and try to infer what the intended meaning is before hitting the submit button.

3) Go through Ron Purewal's videos(must if you are aiming to score high in SC) mentioned in below link:

4) Try revising SC flashcards, you can prepare them on your own or just download one that is floating on the GC already, and trust me there are plenty useful ones.
Personally I found the below mentioned flashcard the best, Thank you slingfox :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/slingfox-s-g ... 96483.html

5) Follow some verbal legends here on GC, go through the ways they tackle SC questions and I guess that should be it.
If you follow the aforementioned pointers, you would be the next GMAT SC Spartan. ;)

Happy learning! :thumbup:

Go through Ron Purewal's videos(must if you are aiming to score high in SC) mentioned in below link:

above link is not working
SC Moderator
G
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 07:23
ammuseeru wrote:

above link is not working

Try this :

The few, the fearless !

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 19:19
dabaobao, this video goes through some advice on how to set your priorities efficiently on SC. Hopefully that will help a bit.

It doesn't necessarily sound like your general approach is flawed, though. My hunch is that the trouble is happening AFTER you've already eliminated anything with a clear grammatical error. At that point, you have to figure out how the tiny differences between the answer choices affect the meaning and logic of the sentence. That part is much trickier, and it can take some time to really develop that skill. (And I hope that my hunch is wrong, because your test is coming up really soon!)

If that first video doesn't do the trick -- or if you want some examples of what to do when the meaning gets really hairy -- check out this follow-up.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 16:06
Hi dabaobao,

Your post seems focused on Verbal questions/advice, but based on your prior Official Score, you appear to have a big opportunity to pick up points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) When did you take the Official GMAT? Have you taken it just once?
2) How long have you studied?
3) What study materials have you used so far?
4) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
5) What is your overall goal score?
6) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
7) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
8) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 06:26
I need some advice on improving my timing in Verbal. I would really appreciate if some experts/mods could shed some light on this. GMATNinja hazelnut nightblade354 Vyshak

I’m pretty well-versed with the verbal content since I’ve gone through Manhattan’s and e-gmat’s verbal material quite a few times. I've also completed CR Bible. I've been practicing 2 RCs everyday for the past 4 months. I've also been doing 2-3 verbal mock timed sets [36 Q (14 RC, 12 SC, 10 CR) in 65 min] using GC tags. I can never finish the test. When the last 2-3 minutes are left, I'm usually >85%ile but I'm left with around 8-13 questions for which I randomly mark D for all in order to complete the test. This pattern has been consistent over various CATs and my practice mock tests. More details here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-maxim ... 69791.html.

I believe I need to work on my application of concepts so that I can do Qs faster. I’m current average is 2/Q for SC and 2.5/Q for CR and RC.

Q1:
Do you think I need to cover any additional material or watch videos in order to improve my speed in Verbal?

Q2:
This might be an awkward Q :| Which verbal video series would be more useful in my case of decent accuracy but slow speed (I believe in terms of application of concepts and strategy, particularly for SC & CR): Thursday with Ron’s videos or GMATNinja’s videos? I have great respect and appreciation for GMATNinja Sir but Ron's videos seem to be quite a popular choice. I would want to know what's the difference between them. I've watched 1-2 videos but for different sections so it's hard to decide which one to go with.

Q3:
Except for 1 playlist (GMATNinja Live Tips - Season 1), I don't seem to find any playlists for GMATNinja's videos. Any suggestions on how to go through them in an organized manner? It would be great if GMATClub could create different playlists for GMATNinja's videos since I've heard that they are really good.

Most Comprehensive Article on How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT (NEW)
Verb Tenses Simplified

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 06:45
There is some good advice here already - have you seen my post about Timing Strategies by chance?
https://gmatclub.com/forum/timing-strat ... 06035.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 19:40
dabaobao wrote:

Q2:
This might be an awkward Q :| Which verbal video series would be more useful in my case of decent accuracy but slow speed (I believe in terms of application of concepts and strategy, particularly for SC & CR): Thursday with Ron’s videos or GMATNinja’s videos? I have great respect and appreciation for GMATNinja Sir but Ron's videos seem to be quite a popular choice. I would want to know what's the difference between them. I've watched 1-2 videos but for different sections so it's hard to decide which one to go with.

There's no way anybody could give you a particularly useful answer to this, unfortunately. Ron and I are radically different teachers, and we have wildly different personalities. So our videos will resonate differently with different people. If you're not sure, why not watch them both, and see what you can pick up? There's no reason why you have to choose one or the other.

dabaobao wrote:
Q3:
Except for 1 playlist (GMATNinja Live Tips - Season 1), I don't seem to find any playlists for GMATNinja's videos. Any suggestions on how to go through them in an organized manner? It would be great if GMATClub could create different playlists for GMATNinja's videos since I've heard that they are really good.

We've done two live video series. The first is detailed here; the second is here. More coming soon.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to Improve Timing in Verbal? &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2018, 19:40

How to Improve Timing in Verbal?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap