GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 04:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How to score 600-650

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
How to score 600-650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 09:56
Hi there,

I hope this is the right place to ask questions. I just found this forum and thought the knowledgable people on here could advise me on my GMAT strategy as I'm a bit confused.

I'm a second-year undergraduate business student and I will graduate in June 2020. I am interested in applying for a master programme in management with the latest application date in April 2020. I thought to put some time and study for the GMAT exam from now (especially during summer) and hopefully, take the exam in August/September 2019. If I score a low score, I would have around half a year to retake it.

The university says that they have never accepted someone with a GMAT lower than 500, and this year it should be higher. I guess 600-650 would be a reasonable score to secure me a spot.

I will have school until the end of May, so until then I might not study 100% for the GMAT, but from June to August I plan to focus 100%. I aim to take the exam only once (in August/September 2019) and would preferably not spend money on more study material. I have access to GMAT Official Guide, GMAT Official Guide Quantative, GMAT Official Guide Verbal, and Manhattan (4 guides).

I would highly appreciate if you experts on here could advise on how I should put my study plan to reach this score when I take the exam in August/September 2019. What should I focus on? How much should I focus on each part? How much time would my study plan in total take? Is 600-650 an achievable score? General tips?

One last question, is "GMAT™ Official Starter Kit + Practice Exams 1 & 2 (Free)" on GMAT's website what people on here refer to as the "GMAT prep"?

Thank you.

Best regards
VP
VP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How to score 600-650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 10:13
Hi a03,

Welcome to gmatclub!

GMATPrep was the free GMAT practice test software. It was discontinued and replaced by the online tests that you've mentioned.

You might need a GMAT study plan, check here here:
The Definitive GMAT Study Plan
Video FAQ's in 2 mins or less

You can read the overview of different textbooks here:
Best GMAT Math Books 2019
Best GMAT Verbal Books

Manhattanprep guides are pretty solid for self prep.

Hope this helps!
G
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 12:49
a03 wrote:
Hi there,

I hope this is the right place to ask questions. I just found this forum and thought the knowledgable people on here could advise me on my GMAT strategy as I'm a bit confused.

I'm a second-year undergraduate business student and I will graduate in June 2020. I am interested in applying for a master programme in management with the latest application date in April 2020. I thought to put some time and study for the GMAT exam from now (especially during summer) and hopefully, take the exam in August/September 2019. If I score a low score, I would have around half a year to retake it.

The university says that they have never accepted someone with a GMAT lower than 500, and this year it should be higher. I guess 600-650 would be a reasonable score to secure me a spot.

I will have school until the end of May, so until then I might not study 100% for the GMAT, but from June to August I plan to focus 100%. I aim to take the exam only once (in August/September 2019) and would preferably not spend money on more study material. I have access to GMAT Official Guide, GMAT Official Guide Quantative, GMAT Official Guide Verbal, and Manhattan (4 guides).

I would highly appreciate if you experts on here could advise on how I should put my study plan to reach this score when I take the exam in August/September 2019. What should I focus on? How much should I focus on each part? How much time would my study plan in total take? Is 600-650 an achievable score? General tips?

One last question, is "GMAT™ Official Starter Kit + Practice Exams 1 & 2 (Free)" on GMAT's website what people on here refer to as the "GMAT prep"?

Thank you.

Best regards

Manhattan guides+OGs+the 6 official tests are more than enough to even get you a 700+, so you should be able to get your target score easily

GMAT:710 (Q49,V38,IR8,AWA5)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 15:22
Thank you guys, I will try to stick to the Official Guide and Manhattan books.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 16:15
Hi a03,

To start, choosing to study for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you'll actually "need" your GMAT Score - is a smart choice. A Score Goal of 600+ is relatively modest, but the average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years - so you're interested in an above-average result. As such, no combination of GMAT study resources can 'guarantee' you what you are looking for. You will have to learn and practice a great deal; thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train for it.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) From what you describe, it's not clear how much study time you plan to put in until June. While you are still in School, how many hours do you think you can consistently study for the GMAT each week? Once we get to June, how many hours will you be planning to study per week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
VP
VP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 10:21
Hi a03,

If you'll have any prblems with CR, consider getting a PowerScore Critical Reasoning Bible.
G
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 00:51
a03 wrote:
Thank you guys, I will try to stick to the Official Guide and Manhattan books.

also give a mock test to determine your present level and recognise your weak areas.

GMAT:710 (Q49,V38,IR8,AWA5)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to score 600-650   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2019, 00:51

How to score 600-650

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep