Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 3.21
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: I am Military Officer and an aspirant for top 5 MBA Colleges [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Zaheerhasan wrote:
Hello EveryBody!
Lately i came across this wonderful forum and wanted to put forward my case for better guidance. I am serving Army officer with 15 years of experience. During my service i have done multiple duties which included active operations against terrorists, Officer incharge of strategic assets with capabilities of nuclear warfare, Being staff officer responsible to manage ammunition, ration and operational fitness of military vehicles worth billions. On the non operational side i have been Officer in charge of looking after families of one complete province of Martyred during war on terror and have resolved their domestic problems and arranged/ dispensed their monetary benefits worth 115 Million Rupees. I have also carried out rehabilitation of war torn areas which include 2200 plus families Worked with number of NGOs during the rehabilition. I have passed Chartered financial analyst Level 1. I am desiring to apply for Top MBA schools. With this brief introduction i need ur guidance as how much GMAT score i should aim for and where do i stand as a candidate of MBA for top schools with this introduction. Looking Forward
Regards

Check out this discussion about age and MBA. There are some exceptions programs make for Military officers but the older you get the trickier it gets to get into a full-time MBA program or find a job afterwards: https://gmatclub.com/forum/old-for-an-mba-352223.html
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Zaheerhasan wrote:
Hello EveryBody!
Lately i came across this wonderful forum and wanted to put forward my case for better guidance. I am serving Army officer with 15 years of experience. During my service i have done multiple duties which included active operations against terrorists, Officer incharge of strategic assets with capabilities of nuclear warfare, Being staff officer responsible to manage ammunition, ration and operational fitness of military vehicles worth billions. On the non operational side i have been Officer in charge of looking after families of one complete province of Martyred during war on terror and have resolved their domestic problems and arranged/ dispensed their monetary benefits worth 115 Million Rupees. I have also carried out rehabilitation of war torn areas which include 2200 plus families Worked with number of NGOs during the rehabilition. I have passed Chartered financial analyst Level 1. I am desiring to apply for Top MBA schools. With this brief introduction i need ur guidance as how much GMAT score i should aim for and where do i stand as a candidate of MBA for top schools with this introduction. Looking Forward
Regards

Hi

Please go through the following articles as they will help you understand the landscape:
1. The MBA for Army officers
2. MBA after 30
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Zaheerhasan:

Impressive background - thank you for your service!

Your best gauge for the right GMAT score is to look at the mean for the last couple of class profiles for each of the schools you are targeting. If top 5, you're looking at a 730 as being a relatively safe bet.

That said, I do share the sentiment that 15 years of experience is on the higher end and may create some complications for admission to the top 5 schools which tend to skew younger (3-6 years of experience). Since you are military, you might fall into the exception but there aren't too many at your age getting in, so keep that in mind. I would maybe target 2-3 top programs (assuming the GMAT comes through) and then try a different route to hedge. Of course, it's entirely up to you and what your backup plans are in this process.

If you want to chat about your options, please reach out to us for a free consultation.

https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[quote="Admissionado"]Zaheerhasan:

what about MIT sloan programme. Have seen many candidates with experience even more than 15 yrs
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Zaheerhasan wrote:
Hello EveryBody!
Regards

Hi Zaheerhasan,

With 15 years of experience, a regular MBA could be difficult to crack. One important factor in securing admission would be your employability, which is lower with more work experience. Having said that, you need to keep in mind that many top MBA programs value the insights, expertise and leadership experience that mid-career professionals bring to the classroom. Therefore, it is not impossible to secure admission to such programs with 15 years of experience, provided you demonstrate your fit with the program and your genuine need for the program at this point. When selecting schools, it is crucial to align your post-MBA career goals with the specific schools you are considering. Researching and targeting programs that have a track record of admitting and supporting mid-career professionals can increase your chances of admission and provide a more suitable environment for your professional development. You can also consider programs such as MIT Fellows, LBS Sloan Masters etc. These programs look for mid-career professionals who come with significant leadership experience. The MIT Fellows program did not mandate GMAT in the last cycle. However, it would benefit you immensely if you can score 700+ on the test, whether you want to apply for the 1 yr fellows programs or a regular MBA program.

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Zaheerhasan,

Thank you for sharing your profile.

First of all, I want to commend you for your impressive accomplishments and service in the Army. Your diverse range of experiences and responsibilities demonstrates strong leadership skills, resilience, and the ability to handle complex and high-pressure situations. These qualities can certainly be valuable in the business world.

When it comes to applying to top MBA schools, it's important to remember that admissions committees consider multiple factors beyond just your GMAT score. While a high GMAT score is generally desirable, it's not the sole determining factor for admission. For top MBA schools, it's generally recommended to aim for a GMAT score above 700 to be competitive. However, admissions committees also assess your work experience, leadership potential, academic achievements, recommendation letters, essays, and overall fit with the program.

Given your background and experience, it's evident that you possess unique qualifications that can set you apart from other applicants. Admissions committees often value diversity and perspective, and your military background and leadership roles can certainly provide a unique perspective to the MBA program.

Aside from the GMAT score, make sure to highlight your leadership experiences, impact, and accomplishments in your application essays and interviews. Emphasize how your military background and diverse experiences have shaped your leadership abilities, problem-solving skills, and your desire to pursue an MBA.

Overall, with your impressive background and experiences, you have a strong foundation to be considered for top MBA schools. Focus on achieving a competitive GMAT score, highlighting your unique experiences and skills, and putting together a compelling application package to maximize your chances of admission. However, we would like to learn more about your profile to analyze your chances better. Please feel free to schedule a free profile evaluation call with us.
We would be more than happy to assist you.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Good luck with your application process!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

Zaheerhasan wrote:
Hello EveryBody!
Regards
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
I am Military Officer and an aspirant for top 5 MBA Colleges [#permalink]
Zaheerhasan wrote:
Hello EveryBody!
Regards

Zaheerhasan great profile overall!

Even with an outstanding profile and 15 years of experience, gaining admission to a top 10 FT MBA program in the US can be highly challenging. Admissions committees have a responsibility to ensure that the program aligns with your post MBA goals and offers you suitable post-MBA opportunities.

To increase your chances, invest significant effort into your applications and network with your target schools. Its crucial to lay the groundwork by researching recruitment pipelines and networking extensively with the schools. Building connections with alumni, particularly veterans, can get you internal strong internal referrals and interview opportunities.

I recently worked with a stellar army veteran who also had 14+ years of professional experience very similar to yours and who was only considering the 2 year programs in the US (to get time to establish himself), or else he wanted to get into the top B School in his home country (India, and he eventually went with this option). He was on the waitlist for Ross a long time and also converted a top 25 US school with significant scholarship. He got internal referrals from veteran clubs at many B schools which gave him a chance to interview at schools more than we would expect. He got a personal invite from the adcom to apply to the Emory MBA program (Top 15) due to internal referrals.

Michigan Ross MBA, among the top 10 FT 2 year programs, is especially known for its support of veteran applicants and operations leadership profiles. That should be on your list. If you are keener to move to the USA than you are to get into top 5 MBA programs, I can suggest some options in the Top 30 FT 2 yr MBA programs.

Alternatively, you can consider one-year MBA programs in the US, such as Kellogg, Columbia J term, MIT Sloan Fellows Program, and USC Marshal, which will be more welcoming of your candidacy.

For the GMAT, aim for a score of 750 for top 10 schools. A score of 710-720, combined with compelling applications, can be alright for admission (and potentially scholarships) at top 30 schools.

Alternatively, you could consider some schools in the EU and UK and potential recruitment pipeline in these geographies or in the middle east (if that interests you).

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Zaheerhasan, here is your Profile Evaluation! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Zaheerhasan wrote:
Hello EveryBody!
Regards

Hey Zaheerhasan,

Your extensive and remarkable experience as an Army officer is truly impressive. From actively participating in operations against terrorists to managing strategic assets and contributing to the rehabilitation of war-torn areas, you have demonstrated exceptional leadership and made a significant impact in challenging circumstances.

To evaluate your profile for top MBA schools, it's crucial to emphasise the unique perspectives and valuable skills you bring as a result of your military background. Admissions committees highly value candidates with diverse experiences and a track record of leadership. Highlight specific instances where you demonstrated your ability to lead teams, adapt to complex environments, and achieve tangible results.

In terms of the GMAT, aiming for a competitive score is important to strengthen your application. While target scores may vary depending on the schools you are interested in, it is advisable to aim for scores in the range of 700-750, as this will enhance your chances of admission.

In addition to the GMAT, other components of your application play a crucial role. Craft compelling essays that showcase your unique experiences, leadership roles, and the impact you have made. Use concrete examples to illustrate your problem-solving abilities, teamwork, and ability to overcome challenges.

Strong letters of recommendation from senior military officials who can speak to your leadership, work ethic, and character will also greatly enhance your application. Seek individuals who can provide specific examples of your achievements and the positive outcomes you have accomplished.

With a well-crafted application that showcases your unique strengths, you will position yourself as a compelling candidate for top MBA schools.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
HBS and Wharton Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
I appreciate you being willing to share your profile! I do want to point everyone toward an awesome resource for military veteran MBA applicants! Service2School provides matching with a veteran MBA student at one of your target schools that will help provide guidance and structure to the reflection period, application brainstorming, resume iteration and formatting, and essay writing process.

For background, I am currently in the application process, and my S2S mentor has been extremely helpful. I have met with him weekly since applications opened and his insight has proven invaluable. MBA programs don't need to be an information black hole.

Here is a link for more info:
https://www.service2school.org/mba-resources
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Additionally, I HIGHLY recommend reaching out to the veterans club at each of the schools you plan to apply to. Hop on the phone with fellow students, learn about the program's culture, and get informed on if that school would be a good fit for you. Here is a link to the HBS Armed Forces Alumni Association:

https://www.afaahbsclub.com/
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts