It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 07:25

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I recently gave the GMAT exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

I recently gave the GMAT exam [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 08:43
As most of you know,you can now choose the order in which you wish to answer the sections.I went for Analytical Writing,Integrated Reasoning,Quant and Verbal Reasoning.

Some observations:

1) The writing segment was pretty straightforward.I was asked to present my thoughts on a business analyst's analysis of a company.The passage was pretty small.I feel it will help if you know something about the subject/topic in question.So,try to have some knowledge about things around you.Anything from Sports to Corporations to State Law.Just a basic understanding is enough.

2) Integrated Reasoning was also straightforward.All depends on how well you understand the question.No fancy English in the passage(s) You are presented with some data and the context in which it applies to the given situation.Reading the passage carefully is most important here.Questions were fairly easy.

3) Quant was the easiest section.The practice questions I had done were much harder than the exam questions! I don't know,maybe I got lucky.I mostly got arithmetic based questions.Hardly 10% of the questions involved geometry.Again,understand the problem and then try to put in the values given.

4) Verbal reasoning was the most tricky section.The passages covered sociology,composition of Earth's core/mantle,etc.,etc.Personally,this is my favourite section.I got to learn a lot of new stuff! Things I would've never read otherwise.This section tests your objective skills and how well you understand new topics.So,it's pretty cool! Keep an open mind and don't put your own beliefs into the answer.Your job is to understand what the author is trying to say.All your answers should be based on the context in which the subject was presented in the given passage.

One thing I didn't like was the absolute isolation of each section.Once you answer a question,you cannot go back to it and once a section is done...it's done.Also,you just have to give an answer for every question.Sometimes,I was not absolutely sure of the answer and would've liked to leave it unanswered.But no,that's not allowed.Basically,it hurts your score if you leave the question unanswered.I read somewhere that there is a penalty involved too.There is not even a review for later option.Contrast this with the CAT exam: You can fill in tentative answers to questions and before submission,you will be prompted to re-visit those questions.This helps a lot if you have some time on your hands.Like if I finish the paper 15-20 minutes early,I can always go back and review my early answers.I hope GMAT adopts the CAT approach here.

Based on the unofficial score,I scored the most in the Verbal section followed by Quant followed by Writing.Reasoning was the absolute worst for me.This was surprising since at home I was doing the best in Reasoning section and the worst in the Verbal section.I probably focused too much on the Verbal section and lost the edge I had in reasoning section.Lesson is to not get cocky about sections you are strong in.Keep getting back to them once in a while.

In case you are curious,my unofficial score was around 680.

Hope this was helpful.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 350

Reviews Badge
Re: I recently gave the GMAT exam [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 09:50
680 is good. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing. Wish you good luck... :)

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 350

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 199

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 10:57
Hello GMAT2017TodDunga - Congratulations for the score!

Great points on AWA, IR and Quant.

RC - really nicely put - take interest in the topic.

On the point that you mentioned of not having an ability to go back and review and leave a question un-attempted, well that is what makes GMAT tricky and scoring becomes much more challenging. I think the nature of this exam is more to do with the real Business world where our decision-making skills are tested and not always we can go back and rectify those. Anyways, no point in debating, as it is what it is.

What is your score break-up? How did you do on each section - SC, CR and RC?

Thanks and all the best!

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 199

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 750 [1], given: 20

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS
GMAT2017TodDunga wrote:
One thing I didn't like was the absolute isolation of each section.Once you answer a question,you cannot go back to it and once a section is done...it's done.Also,you just have to give an answer for every question.Sometimes,I was not absolutely sure of the answer and would've liked to leave it unanswered.But no,that's not allowed.Basically,it hurts your score if you leave the question unanswered.I read somewhere that there is a penalty involved too.There is not even a review for later option.Contrast this with the CAT exam: You can fill in tentative answers to questions and before submission,you will be prompted to re-visit those questions.This helps a lot if you have some time on your hands.Like if I finish the paper 15-20 minutes early,I can always go back and review my early answers.I hope GMAT adopts the CAT approach here.

Hey GMAT2017TodDunga

To add to whatever ydmuley pointed out, about the GMAT adopting the CAT approach,
it is not possible because this is an adaptive test and based on your response for this question,
the next question is harder or easier!

Btw, congrats on achieving the 680 score! All the best for the application phase!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 750 [1], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 02:26
I didn't accept the score! Like I mentioned,my unofficial score was around 680.This was my rough score,I don't recall the exact break-up:

AWA: 92 percentile
Verbal: 97
Quant: 94
IR: 62

Re: I recently gave the GMAT exam   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2017, 02:26

I recently gave the GMAT exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap