GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 22:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50674
If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2015, 06:15
12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:03) correct 55% (02:01) wrong based on 153 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 171
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2015, 09:04
1
1) Case 1: r = s = t = 1 then pq = 4
Case 2: pq = 1 and r = s = t --> rst=4 --> r=2^2/3
Not sufficient

2) Not sufficient

1+2) since three of p, q, r, s, t are integers Case 2 cannot take place. Answer C.
_________________

learn the rules of the game, then play better than anyone else.

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50674
Re: If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 03:29
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2012
Posts: 26
Location: India
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
Re: If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 05:31
gmat6nplus1 wrote:
1) Case 1: r = s = t = 1 then pq = 4
Case 2: pq = 1 and r = s = t --> rst=4 --> r=2^2/3
Not sufficient

2) Not sufficient

1+2) since three of p, q, r, s, t are integers Case 2 cannot take place. Answer C.


I guess you are referring to r as third root of 4, but it looks to be 4\3 so got a bit confused.

Can you please explain this example further, not very clear.
_________________

A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence - Never Give up.

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 6527
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 15:28
2
1
If we modify the original condition and the question, it is p=1/q?, 4/qrst=1/q?. If we divide each side with q, we get 4/rst=1?, rst=4?.
There are 5 variables (p,q,r,s,t) and 1 equation (pqrst=4). In order to match the number of variables to the number of equations, we need 4 more equations. Since the condition 1) and the condition 2) each has 1 equation, we lack 2 equations. Hence, there is high chance that E is the correct answer. Using both the condition 1) and the condition 2), it states r=s=t are 3 integers, we get r=s=t=1, -1, 2, -2,...... However, in any case we cannot obtain rst=4. Hence, the answer is no and the conditions are sufficient. Therefore, the answer is C.

- For cases where we need 3 more equations, such as original conditions with “3 variables”, or “4 variables and 1 equation”, or “5 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 80% chance that E is the answer (especially about 90% of 2 by 2 questions where there are more than 3 variables), while C has 15% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since E is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or D.
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 May 2016
Posts: 20
Location: United States
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Re: If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 07:05
Bunuel wrote:
If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?

(1) r = s = t

(2) Three of p, q, r, s, t are integers


Bunuel chetan2u

Can someone please provide a detailed answer? I've been trying to wrap my head around this.

I understand that individual statements are insufficient to answer the question. However, even using both statements it is quite possible that p could be or could not be equal to 1/q.

We know that r = s = t and all three of them are integers. So, r, s, and t could be positive/negative integers.

Let's say r = s = t = 1 => rst = 1 => pq = 4. To satisfy this equation, p and q can take any of the following values:
p = 4, q = 1/4 (or vice versa) => pq = 4
p = 8, q = 1/2 (or vice versa) => pq = 4
p = 16, q = 1/4 (or vice versa) => pq = 4
etc.

Let's say r = s = t = 2 => rst = 8 => pq = 1/2. Again, to satisfy this equation, it is not necessary that p must be equal to 1/q.

Let's say r = s = t = -2 => rst = -8 => pq = -1/2. Again, to satisfy this equation, it is not necessary that p must be equal to 1/q.

Let's say r = s = t = -1 => rst = -1 => pq = -4. Again, to satisfy this equation, it is not necessary that p must be equal to 1/q.

We are not given any information about p or q. So, the answer should be (E) not (C), right?

Please let me know what am I missing here. Thanks.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50674
Re: If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 07:20
1
jayshah0621 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?

(1) r = s = t

(2) Three of p, q, r, s, t are integers


Bunuel chetan2u

Can someone please provide a detailed answer? I've been trying to wrap my head around this.

I understand that individual statements are insufficient to answer the question. However, even using both statements it is quite possible that p could be or could not be equal to 1/q.

We know that r = s = t and all three of them are integers. So, r, s, and t could be positive/negative integers.

Let's say r = s = t = 1 => rst = 1 => pq = 4. To satisfy this equation, p and q can take any of the following values:
p = 4, q = 1/4 (or vice versa) => pq = 4
p = 8, q = 1/2 (or vice versa) => pq = 4
p = 16, q = 1/4 (or vice versa) => pq = 4
etc.

Let's say r = s = t = 2 => rst = 8 => pq = 1/2. Again, to satisfy this equation, it is not necessary that p must be equal to 1/q.

Let's say r = s = t = -2 => rst = -8 => pq = -1/2. Again, to satisfy this equation, it is not necessary that p must be equal to 1/q.

Let's say r = s = t = -1 => rst = -1 => pq = -4. Again, to satisfy this equation, it is not necessary that p must be equal to 1/q.

We are not given any information about p or q. So, the answer should be (E) not (C), right?

Please let me know what am I missing here. Thanks.


Notice that if p = 1/q, then pq = q*1/q = 1. In neither of your examples pq is 1. So, even you have a definite NO answer to the question.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 May 2016
Posts: 20
Location: United States
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Re: If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 07:31
1
Bunuel wrote:
jayshah0621 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?

(1) r = s = t

(2) Three of p, q, r, s, t are integers


Bunuel chetan2u

Can someone please provide a detailed answer? I've been trying to wrap my head around this.

I understand that individual statements are insufficient to answer the question. However, even using both statements it is quite possible that p could be or could not be equal to 1/q.

We know that r = s = t and all three of them are integers. So, r, s, and t could be positive/negative integers.

Let's say r = s = t = 1 => rst = 1 => pq = 4. To satisfy this equation, p and q can take any of the following values:
p = 4, q = 1/4 (or vice versa) => pq = 4
p = 8, q = 1/2 (or vice versa) => pq = 4
p = 16, q = 1/4 (or vice versa) => pq = 4
etc.

Let's say r = s = t = 2 => rst = 8 => pq = 1/2. Again, to satisfy this equation, it is not necessary that p must be equal to 1/q.

Let's say r = s = t = -2 => rst = -8 => pq = -1/2. Again, to satisfy this equation, it is not necessary that p must be equal to 1/q.

Let's say r = s = t = -1 => rst = -1 => pq = -4. Again, to satisfy this equation, it is not necessary that p must be equal to 1/q.

We are not given any information about p or q. So, the answer should be (E) not (C), right?

Please let me know what am I missing here. Thanks.


Notice that if p = 1/q, then pq = q*1/q = 1. In neither of your examples pq is 1. So, even you have a definite NO answer to the question.


Uh oh. Silly me :lol: :roll: Thanks for the explanation! Kudos!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2012
Posts: 26
Location: India
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
Re: If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 18:16
gauz wrote:
gmat6nplus1 wrote:
1) Case 1: r = s = t = 1 then pq = 4
Case 2: pq = 1 and r = s = t --> rst=4 --> r=2^2/3
Not sufficient

2) Not sufficient

1+2) since three of p, q, r, s, t are integers Case 2 cannot take place. Answer C.


I guess you are referring to r as third root of 4, but it looks to be 4\3 so got a bit confused.

Can you please explain this example further, not very clear.


^Figured it out, i might be high when posting this doubt :lol:
_________________

A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence - Never Give up.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 06 Nov 2016
Posts: 61
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.54
Re: If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 10:46
Is p = 1/q --> Is pq = 1 --> Is rst = 4 ?

(1) r = s = t . If r = s = t = 1 -> No, If r = s = t = \(\sqrt[3]{4}\) -> Yes. --> Not sufficient.
(2) Three of p, q, r, s, t are integers. If r, s, t are integers -> No. If r, s, t are not integers at the same time, then Yes (i.e. r=1, s=3, t=4/3) or No (i.e. r=1, s=3, r=2/3). --> Not sufficient.

(1) + (2): {p, q, r, s, t} = {p, q, r, r, r} --> p, q, r are integers --> All 5 variables p, q, r, s, t are integer. --> \(rst\neq{4}\) --> No. --> Sufficient.

Answer C.

Bunuel wrote:
If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?

(1) r = s = t

(2) Three of p, q, r, s, t are integers

_________________

(^人^)
Image

GMATCLUB Search for tags

GMAC © Official Guides - The Master Directory + Links

Question Directory by Topic & Difficulty
Problem Solving | Data Sufficiency | Sentence Correction | Critical Reasoning | Reading Comprehension

ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ? &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 10:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If pqrst = 4, then is p = 1/q ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.