Last visit was: 20 Jul 2024, 00:25 It is currently 20 Jul 2024, 00:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 730 [16]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [7]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Re: If the check valves in nuclear power plants do not function properly, [#permalink]
Kudos
Kshitij92 wrote:
Hey Senthil, Could you please elucidate more on option A? Am a bit confused between Option A and E.

Hi Kshitij92,

The stimulus says....failure of X (check valves) can lead to failure of Y (piping mechanism). X are serviced every year and hence there will not be any problems because of X.

We have to weaken this.
Opn A says 80% of the failures are because of Ys. Well we are not so sure that failure of Y is caused only by that of X. Are we? Had this been mentioned in the stimulus, this would have been a correct answer.
Now, opn E says...Errors while reassembling might go unchecked. So this creates a doubt that...since every year X is serviced, there is a probability that these are not fixed well and can lead to accidents..

Hope this is clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
If the check valves in nuclear power plants do not function properly, [#permalink]
I am still NOT clear with the explanation of option A above. Can someone elaborate more on why option A is incorrect. Though I picked E as the answer but was doubtful between A and E.

Please evaluate my reasoning for option A.

(A) Approximately 80 percent of accidents in nuclear power plants are attributable to failures in piping systems. As per my understanding of the above argument, this option statement slightly strengthens the conclusion instead of weakening it. If 80% or majority of nuclear power plant accidents are attributable to piping system failures and those failures are, in turn, caused by the malfunctioning of the check valves, then the routine annual maintenance will detect and fix those malfunctioning valves, and thus power plant accidents attributable to malfunctioning check valves are unlikely to occur. Though, I agree that failures in piping system can occur due to other factors as well, but we are not concerned about the other factors and neither the other factors are in the scope of this argument. The argument's conclusion is restricted to the accidents attributable to the malfunctioning of the check valves.

As per the details given in the argument or basically as per the scope of the argument, I am considering only the failure of piping system as the major impact to power plants by the malfunctioning of the valves. Therefore, option A is incorrect.

Can someone review my point of reasoning? As I am unsure about the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: If the check valves in nuclear power plants do not function properly, [#permalink]
the method that I use to find the correct answer is to comprehend the meaning of each option and eliminate wrong options.
Well, it seems that this question does not have any obvious pattern, but ones can choose the right answer by understanding each option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
Send PM
PREMISES
1) If check valves do not function properly other parts can be critically damaged. However this does not imply that when parts are critically damaged then the check valves are non functional.
2) Flawed check valves are replaced during annual maintenance.

CONCLUSION
Power plants accidents cannot occur because of flawed check valves as they would be replaced during annual maintenance.
Quote:
(A) Approximately 80 percent of accidents in nuclear power plants are attributable to failures in piping systems.

Tempting, this option forces us to think that as majority of the accidents are because of failure in piping systems and this failure is because of non functional check valves hence check valves are responsible for these accidents. And remember this what we need to find. We need to find an answer choice that says that even though flawed check valves are replaced, they could still be responsible for power plant accidents. This answer choice though tempting is not the correct answer as I already said above that failure in piping systems does not necessarily imply that check valves are non functional.

Quote:
B) Check valves in nuclear power plants tend to wear out after a few years in operation.

these check valves anyways would be replaced in the annual maintenance.

Quote:
B) (C) Disassembling check valves can expose workers to radiation if precautions are not taken.

Irrelevant

Quote:
(D) Flaws in any part of a check valve can be identified when the valve is disassembled.

Opposite of this could have been a good contender.

Quote:
(E) Errors made in the reassembly of check valves can go undetected.

Best of the lot, even if flawed check valves are replaced with new check valves there is still a possibility that power plants accidents are attributable to check valves. If the check valves are not reassembled the way they should be and this error goes undetected then check valves will probably not be replaced until the next maintenance cycle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
Hey experts,

KarishmaB GMATNinja DmitryFarber ExpertsGlobal5 mikemcgarry AjiteshArun

I am completely not able to understand why option D is incorrect and option E is correct.

Premise :- If the check valves in nuclear power plants do not function properly, other parts of the plants’ piping systems can be critically damaged. Check valves cannot be tested in actual operation, but they are disassembled as part of routine annual maintenance and any flawed parts are replaced.
Conclusion:- Therefore, power plant accidents attributable to malfunctioning check valves are unlikely to occur.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4735 [1]
Given Kudos: 660
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
I am completely not able to understand why option D is incorrect and option E is correct.

Hi waytowharton,

The part of the argument where the author says check valves "are disassembled as part of routine annual maintenance and any flawed parts are replaced" is strengthened by option D. Look at it this way: if flaws in any part of a check valve CANNOT be identified when the valve is disassembled, then it is less likely that the flawed parts will be replaced (because they can't be identified). On the other hand, if the flawed parts CAN be identified, then it's more likely that they will be replaced.

Option E tell us that the process of fixing the check valves ("reassembly") can itself introduce new problems, which will then most likely go undetected till at least the the next round of routine annual maintenance, which would give other parts of the plants’ piping systems plenty of time to "be critically damaged".
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Unable to understand why option E is correct. Conclusion is malfunction attributed to check valves is unlikely to occur. Weakener for this should be malfunction attributed to check valves is likely to occur. Option E says if errors will go undetected then other parts would also damage and we will not be able to attribute this to check valves. Hence, this is a strengthener.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun,

Apologies I am unable to understand. Could you please help me again? Conclusion is malfunction attributed to check valves is unlikely to occur. Weakener for this should be malfunction attributed to check valves is likely to occur. Option E says if errors will go undetected then other parts would also damage and we will not be able to attribute this to check valves. Hence, this is a strengthener.

KarishmaB
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
Unable to understand why option E is correct. Conclusion is malfunction attributed to check valves is unlikely to occur. Weakener for this should be malfunction attributed to check valves is likely to occur. Option E says if errors will go undetected then other parts would also damage and we will not be able to attribute this to check valves. Hence, this is a strengthener.

Notice what you said:

Option E says if ERRORS will go undetected

Notice what the conclusion is:

power plant ACCIDENTS attributable to malfunctioning check valves are unlikely to occur

The fact that errors will go undetected does not mean that accidents will not be attributable to malfunctioning valves.

After all, once the accidents occur, even if the original errors were undetected, the accidents could be traced back to malfunctioning valves.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1090 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
If the check valves in nuclear power plants do not function properly, [#permalink]
waytowharton wrote:
AjiteshArun,

Apologies I am unable to understand. Could you please help me again? Conclusion is malfunction attributed to check valves is unlikely to occur. Weakener for this should be malfunction attributed to check valves is likely to occur. Option E says if errors will go undetected then other parts would also damage and we will not be able to attribute this to check valves. Hence, this is a strengthener.

KarishmaB

Try to reason against the stimulus when facing weaken type questions.
Here the stimulus says that the routine repair removes any flaws in check valves. What if I said that those repair works ain't doing their job properly or that those repair works leave parts unrepaired?
You see, a weakener is a counter claim that makes you believe less in the proposed plan. And that's what (E) does here.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4735 [1]
Given Kudos: 660
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
AjiteshArun,

KarishmaB

Hi waytowharton,

But if the malfunctioning valves are causing the ~problems, can't we say that the ~problems are (directly or indirectly) attributable to them?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 869 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6984 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts