Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 21:29 It is currently 14 May 2024, 21:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1428 [0]
Given Kudos: 572
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1428 [0]
Given Kudos: 572
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Imperfect Employment History [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dates, but no reason for leaving.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OK, that's comforting.

Thank you very much for this information!
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
For many schools you will need to share your reason for leaving. Outside of this I would not mention it. I don't think your dismissal will come up in a background. I'm assuming you will be avoiding reccs from the jobs where you were dismissed?
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Food4Life wrote:
Hello -

I have a question about my imperfect employment history. Since college I've held three corporate jobs in industry X with great companies that most everyone would recognize. The problem is that I was fired from the first one and fired from the last one with a successful two-year stint at the one in between. After leaving the last company I reassessed my priorities and decided to pursue a new direction which will be the focus of my MBA. For the most part I am proud of the work I did at all of these companies and my dismissals had to do with two single events of being careless rather than an immoral action or a pattern of problems.

Obviously I have to list these jobs on my resume as they make up the majority of my career, but my question is whether I should address my dismissals ahead of time within the application in the hopes the admissions council will look favorably on my honesty, or not mention them as you are not explicitly asked to do so? I don't intend to misrepresent myself but I don't want to bring up negatives if unnecessary. Should I expect a background check to reveal these dismissals, and would not mentioning those dismissals be viewed as a lie? Can I talk about those jobs at all without brining up my dismissals?
I agree with the others here that you should list the dates but not reasons why you left on resume. You will most likely be asked on the application the reason you left and you can address this on that if asked. I would be prepared to talk about what I learned from each experience and also talk about the self reflection you have done to seek the new direction going forward.
Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Grateful
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Correct on the recs.

When explicitly asked on the applications I will of course answer truthfully.

What do you think about using the third essay to discuss the dismissals? I wouldn't use it to make up excuses but rather to acknowledge my applications shortcomings and explain how learning from those experiences has helped me become the person I am today.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
If you are forced to disclose your dismissal I would consider using the optional essay to explain this. But make sure if you consider that option the optional essay prompt allows for it. You don't want to answer the question in a way inconsistent with the optional essay
GMAT Club Bot