GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 12:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Improving Profile - Low GPA, High GMAT and Good Work Experience

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Improving Profile - Low GPA, High GMAT and Good Work Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 14:38
Hi everyone!

I am looking for ways to improve my profile to apply for an MBA, either in Europe or Australia, in 3-5 years from now. The context is as follows:

I recently graduated in chemical engineering at a big state college in the northeastern US with a 2.43 GPA (abysmal I know). I also recently took the gmat and scored 690 (86th percentile). I have no exceptional reason for such a low GPA. I did not like the major and found it hard to perform well, which wasn't mature on my part and will be hard to justify for school applications. My last couple semesters I tried to fix this and perform better, so there is an upward trend in my grades, and I got a strong GMAT score right after graduating. I have lived in 4 different countries and I speak 4 languages, English and Spanish being the most applicable in business.

Also, I just started working for Deloitte S&O in a big Latin American country as a business analyst. I have every intention of staying in consulting. Im also pursuing a diploma in finance (one-year course, once a week, 5h long on Saturdays) at a top university in the country. I have an interest in finance, its relevant to my current and potential projects and might help ameliorate the GPA situation later on. Im also certain that I can perform better on the GMAT. My study experience was time-constrained and given the right amount of preparation that score could go up.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions as to what other ways I could improve my profile over the next few years. I don't strictly look for the top MBA programs. However, it has to be a strong program that offers international opportunities.

I look forward to any comments and ideas!
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Improving Profile - Low GPA, High GMAT and Good Work Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 19:07
From the info provided it seems like your GPA is your only main issue. The best way to balance out a lot GPA i with a high GMAT. I would aim to push your GMAT even higher to highlight your intellectual aptitude. The GMAT will be the most effective way to do this.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Experts' Global Representative
G
Re: Improving Profile - Low GPA, High GMAT and Good Work Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 00:45
mkrumun wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am looking for ways to improve my profile to apply for an MBA, either in Europe or Australia, in 3-5 years from now. The context is as follows:

I recently graduated in chemical engineering at a big state college in the northeastern US with a 2.43 GPA (abysmal I know). I also recently took the gmat and scored 690 (86th percentile). I have no exceptional reason for such a low GPA. I did not like the major and found it hard to perform well, which wasn't mature on my part and will be hard to justify for school applications. My last couple semesters I tried to fix this and perform better, so there is an upward trend in my grades, and I got a strong GMAT score right after graduating. I have lived in 4 different countries and I speak 4 languages, English and Spanish being the most applicable in business.

Also, I just started working for Deloitte S&O in a big Latin American country as a business analyst. I have every intention of staying in consulting. Im also pursuing a diploma in finance (one-year course, once a week, 5h long on Saturdays) at a top university in the country. I have an interest in finance, its relevant to my current and potential projects and might help ameliorate the GPA situation later on. Im also certain that I can perform better on the GMAT. My study experience was time-constrained and given the right amount of preparation that score could go up.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions as to what other ways I could improve my profile over the next few years. I don't strictly look for the top MBA programs. However, it has to be a strong program that offers international opportunities.

I look forward to any comments and ideas!

Hi mkrumun,

Apologies for the slight delay in responding to you.

The good part is that you have already identified the problem areas. Yes, the GPA is very low. However, a higher GMAT score will definitely help you cover up for the same. For now, just focus on your GMAT ~ higher the better! :) The low GPA can always be addressed in the Optional Essay, an option that a lot of Business Schools provide you with. There, you could always focus on your learnings from the episode, the upward trend in your subsequent scores, and how things have now changed :)

Hope this helps!

All the best! :)

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 02:40
Hey mkrumun
If you have the luxury of time, pay the money to complete HBx Core as soon as you can. This will help schools understand that you are serious about academics. It won't change your GPA and your GPA will still be a red flag, but doing well on HBx Core will show that you are a hard-working person who is self-aware and always striving to improve. Also, I'd like to see a higher GMAT score too. Lastly, prepare an optional essay that explains what happened in undergrad. Own it, be humble, explain how you've grown since.
All the best for your future applications!
Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 08:16
Hey everyone!
Thank you for the thoughtful responses. From what I gather working on breaking that 700+ GMAT is the most efficient way of directly improving my profile.

ABatExpertsGlobal Thanks for pointing out that I could address the GPA using the optional essay and giving an idea of how to go about it. I'll definitely do that.

mbaMissionKrista I was not even aware that HBX Core existed until you mentioned it! The learning opportunity seems fantastic! Squeezing in the time might be possible after finishing the diploma in finance. Also, it seems they are now offering an option to take each of the courses separately and then combining them to get the certificate (over a maximum period of two years). Definitely worth considering.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Improving Profile - Low GPA, High GMAT and Good Work Experience &nbs [#permalink] 22 Feb 2018, 08:16

Improving Profile - Low GPA, High GMAT and Good Work Experience

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap