GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 08:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Posts: 104
In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2011, 16:59
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:47) correct 44% (01:42) wrong based on 274 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a laptop, what percent of the employees usually use a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)?

(1) 60% of the employees who usually use a laptop also use a PDA.
(2) 90% of the employees who usually use a PDA also use a laptop.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58445
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually u  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2011, 17:50
1
1
banksy wrote:
In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a laptop, what percent of the employees usually use a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)?
(1) 60% of the employees who usually use a laptop also use a PDA.
(2) 90% of the employees who usually use a PDA also use a laptop.


In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a laptop, what percent of the employees usually use a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)?

Assume there are total of 100 employees. Given: {Laptop users}=75. Question: {PDA users}=?

(1) 60% of the employees who usually use a laptop also use a PDA --> 0.6*{Laptop users}={Those who use both} --> {Both}=0.6*75=45. Not sufficient.

(2) 90% of the employees who usually use a PDA also use a laptop --> again {Both}=0.9*{PDA users}. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) {Both}=45=0.9*{PDA users} --> {PDA users}=45/0.9=50. Sufficient.

Answer: C.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 81
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually u  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2011, 01:09
1
banksy wrote:
In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a laptop, what percent of the employees usually use a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)?
(1) 60% of the employees who usually use a laptop also use a PDA.
(2) 90% of the employees who usually use a PDA also use a laptop.

Attachments

emp.docx [12.61 KiB]
Downloaded 147 times

To download please login or register as a user

Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 1253
Location: United States (IN)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Reviews Badge
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually u  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2011, 21:38
(1)

0.6 L Have PDA

So 0.6 * 75 Have both = 45 Have both

Not Sufficient, we don't know P


(2)

0.9P have laptop

Not Sufficient, we don't know P

(1) and (2)

0.9P = 45

=> P = 50

Answer - C
_________________
Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 545
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually u  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2011, 19:02
1. Not sufficient .

here we have laptop only , laptop & pda . still not enough to find out pda .

2. Not sufficient.


we know that 90 % of pda user also use laptop . not enough to find out pda.

together we have

45E/100 = (90/100) PDA. enough to find pda interms of employees.

Answer is C.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jun 2013
Posts: 26
GPA: 3.45
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2013, 23:16
I know this thread has been inactive for a while but if anybody could help solve my query it would be great.

See if you are assuming that 100 employees are there then
75% use laptops so 75 employees
1) 60%(75) use both so 45 employees
so by using the principle of sets 100= 75 + P -45
hence P=70
2)100=75 + P - (90/100)*P
solve this also and you'll get P
So the correct answer should be 'D' right?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58445
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2013, 01:52
2
anishashastri wrote:
I know this thread has been inactive for a while but if anybody could help solve my query it would be great.

See if you are assuming that 100 employees are there then
75% use laptops so 75 employees
1) 60%(75) use both so 45 employees
so by using the principle of sets 100= 75 + P -45
hence P=70
2)100=75 + P - (90/100)*P
solve this also and you'll get P
So the correct answer should be 'D' right?


{Total} = {Laptop} + {PDA} - {Both} + {Neither}. So, you'll have one more variable in each statement thus you won't be able to solve.

Next, if you solve 100=75+P-0.9*P you'll get P=250, which does not make sense.

And finally, on the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other but from 100=75+P-45 you get P=70 while from 100=75+P-0.9*P you get P=250, which cannot happen on the GMAT.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jun 2013
Posts: 26
GPA: 3.45
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2013, 02:38
Bunuel wrote:
anishashastri wrote:
I know this thread has been inactive for a while but if anybody could help solve my query it would be great.

See if you are assuming that 100 employees are there then
75% use laptops so 75 employees
1) 60%(75) use both so 45 employees
so by using the principle of sets 100= 75 + P -45
hence P=70
2)100=75 + P - (90/100)*P
solve this also and you'll get P
So the correct answer should be 'D' right?


{Total} = {Laptop} + {PDA} - {Both} + {Neither}. So, you'll have one more variable in each statement thus you won't be able to solve.

Next, if you solve 100=75+P-0.9*P you'll get P=250, which does not make sense.

And finally, on the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other but from 100=75+P-45 you get P=70 while from 100=75+P-0.9*P you get P=250, which cannot happen on the GMAT.

Hope it's clear.



Hi,
Appreciate the response. I was under the impression that if nothing has been given about the [Neither] part you can ignore it, anyway thank you! I get it now!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1569
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually u  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2013, 06:10
Bunuel wrote:
banksy wrote:
In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a laptop, what percent of the employees usually use a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)?
(1) 60% of the employees who usually use a laptop also use a PDA.
(2) 90% of the employees who usually use a PDA also use a laptop.


In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a laptop, what percent of the employees usually use a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)?

Assume there are total of 100 employees. Given: {Laptop users}=75. Question: {PDA users}=?

(1) 60% of the employees who usually use a laptop also use a PDA --> 0.6*{Laptop users}={Those who use both} --> {Both}=0.6*75=45. Not sufficient.

(2) 90% of the employees who usually use a PDA also use a laptop --> again {Both}=0.9*{PDA users}. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) {Both}=45=0.9*{PDA users} --> {PDA users}=45/0.9=50. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Hi Bunuel, for OS questions in DS. What is the best practice? I have tried different approaches but always have found drawing one matrix per statement the easiest. Every matrix would contain only the information provided in the question stem and stating clearly what I need to find. In worst case, I would have to draw 3. As a matter of fact, this is often the case. I find it that it can be a bit time consuming and was wondering if you suggest any other approach that could be at least as precise and error-free vs. using this approach
Thanks
Cheers
J
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58445
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually u  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 05:00
jlgdr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
banksy wrote:
In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a laptop, what percent of the employees usually use a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)?
(1) 60% of the employees who usually use a laptop also use a PDA.
(2) 90% of the employees who usually use a PDA also use a laptop.


In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a laptop, what percent of the employees usually use a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)?

Assume there are total of 100 employees. Given: {Laptop users}=75. Question: {PDA users}=?

(1) 60% of the employees who usually use a laptop also use a PDA --> 0.6*{Laptop users}={Those who use both} --> {Both}=0.6*75=45. Not sufficient.

(2) 90% of the employees who usually use a PDA also use a laptop --> again {Both}=0.9*{PDA users}. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) {Both}=45=0.9*{PDA users} --> {PDA users}=45/0.9=50. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Hi Bunuel, for OS questions in DS. What is the best practice? I have tried different approaches but always have found drawing one matrix per statement the easiest. Every matrix would contain only the information provided in the question stem and stating clearly what I need to find. In worst case, I would have to draw 3. As a matter of fact, this is often the case. I find it that it can be a bit time consuming and was wondering if you suggest any other approach that could be at least as precise and error-free vs. using this approach
Thanks
Cheers
J


There are 3 approaches to tackle 2 overlapping sets problems:
1. Double-set matrix.
2. Venn diagram.
3. Formulas (as in this question).

Which one to choose depends on the problem and your personal preferences.
_________________
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1569
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually u  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 08:08
There are 3 approaches to tackle 2 overlapping sets problems:
1. Double-set matrix.
2. Venn diagram.
3. Formulas (as in this question).

Which one to choose depends on the problem and your personal preferences.[/quote]

Thank you for pointing that out. I agree that they fit different questions indeed and I have used all of them.
Now strictly for Double-Set matrix problems in DS
Is it the normal practice to draw three matrixes, one for the initial information given, one adding the info on Statement 1
And then a third one only adding info on Statement 2 (which you can then use if 1 and 2 are needed) ?
I find it a bit time consuming but proves to be safer, just wondering if you and other people around here do it this way

Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 May 2014
Posts: 1
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 00:50
Can anyone help me out with this problem using the double matrix technique. Thanks in Advance
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58445
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 02:29
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2014
Posts: 15
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 05:37
I've written the following message for myself when studying, please ignore it as I realized it was far from well written.

Alright. We've got a few possibilities.

Let's name Laptop L and PDA P, B for both and N for neither.

L P B N = 4 possibilities.

Given is that 75% uses a laptop.

Statement 1: 60% of L also uses P. We've now got our B. 0.75*0.6.

Can we find out the percentage of PDA users from this?

We need B+P to answer that question. So no, we do not have the answer yet. Insufficient.

Statement 2:
90% who uses a PDA also uses a laptop. This tells us that 0.9*x uses a PDA. But we do not know as of now how big the "Both" part is.

But together with statement 1 we get:
0.9*x=0.75*0.6=0.45 x=0.5 So we know now that 50% uses a PDA.

Answer: C

This could probably also have been solved by a probability tree.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13278
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 01:27
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2019, 01:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a certain company, if 75% of the employees usually use a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne